Article [13] ST1300 - Changing the Final Drive Oil (Video)

A simple job, but one I have been meaning to do for a while. For some reason I always thought there was more to it, but done in under 5 minutes. Can see why people just do it more frequently than the service manual says.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Very well done! I noticed that you did everything in the proper sequence in the video, but perhaps some emphasis could be added to the importance of removing the fill plug first and reinstalling it last. The reason for the latter is obvious, but a few owners have made the mistake of removing the drain plug first, then have a problem trying to remove the fill plug for some reason - it may have been over-tightened the previous service, the threads somehow got damaged, whatever. The point is, you may have a real problem on your hands if you drain the gear lube and are then unable to refill with fresh lube.....

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
Because it's so easy to get to and inexpensive I change mine every time I do an oil change.
Excessive? Yes, but what else do STer's do when the weather in the North keeps us off the road most days this time of year?
That staement may open up a can of worms or 2.:thumb:

Top Bottom