Article [13] ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
Re: My home-built DIY gear position indicator - includes plans

How do you get the code into the chip?

JD

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

How do you get the code into the chip?

JD
That's a long story.... and one of the things I learned on my journey.
There's a ton of free stuff out there on the net.
Here's a good starting place to read all about it;
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/micro-controllers/15035-newcomers-please-read-pic-regarded-upd-0xd.html

The short story... there's a couple bits of software running on my laptop;
1) A development environment/debugger/assembler/compiler. It compiles the assembler source code into a .hex file (aka machine code).
2) A programmer application. It interfaces with a programmer device connected to the laptop (via USB cable), which in turn has the micro-controller chip plugged into it. The .hex file is downloaded to the programmer device, which them burns the code into the micro-controller's flash memory.

The bottom line... there's just a ton of free stuff (and support) out there for MicroChip's (www.microchip.com) PIC micro-controllers. These things are incredibly versatile, incredibly easy to use, and incredibly cheap.

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300A
STOC #

Great Job P.D.! Your write up and pictures are excellent.

I'm an Instructor teaching a 1st year Electronics Technician program (Common Core Electronics) and the microprocessor portion of our course has recently been updated to use a PIC microcontroller as opposed to the old LabVolt trainers. Therefore the PIC controllers are pretty new to me and I've got a lot to learn regarding the programming of them. I'm looking forward to having a good look at your programming code. I may have to actually build one even though I'm not all that worried about having a GPI. It looks like it would be fun to build and program.

On second thought, this might make a great year end project for one or more of our students. (I love real world projects.) Would you have any objection if we were to use your write-up and pictures in our course? We would of course ensure that you received all credit for the device.

Excellent job pdfruth! I'm a former E.E. type but got out of the business almost 20 years ago (played with 8051s, Z-80s, & 6502s at the time). The PICs are fairly popular item in ham radio circles...

You might have created a marketable item although I know that wasn't your intent.

Bravo! :)

Tony

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Great Job P.D.! Your write up and pictures are excellent.

I'm an Instructor teaching a 1st year Electronics Technician program (Common Core Electronics) and the microprocessor portion of our course has recently been updated to use a PIC microcontroller as opposed to the old LabVolt trainers. Therefore the PIC controllers are pretty new to me and I've got a lot to learn regarding the programming of them. I'm looking forward to having a good look at your programming code. I may have to actually build one even though I'm not all that worried about having a GPI. It looks like it would be fun to build and program.

On second thought, this might make a great year end project for one or more of our students. (I love real world projects.) Would you have any objection if we were to use your write-up and pictures in our course? We would of course ensure that you received all credit for the device.
I'd be honored to have it used as a teaching tool... although I'm not so sure there's much value in providing the completed solution to the problem, if it's used as a year-end project ;) And I'm not so sure this represents an implementation using all the best practices. But sure, that's one of the reasons I GPL'd it (open-sourced). I found so many great code samples out there on the net during my R&D effort for this thing. This is just my way of contributing back to the community. Hopefully, other talented innovators will enhanced/improve/change/comment. We (myself included) all benefit from others contributing to the effort. All constructive criticisms are welcome.

This is just a hobby for me. You could say I'm a hacker of sorts. Actually, the GPI is my 3rd PIC project. My 1st was a clock, interfaced to my garage door opener, to close the door at night, if it's open. My second was a high resolution, low frequency, frequency counter.

Last edited:

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #

If no one else has stepped up, I'm pretty sure I can get my boss to let me make these.
Would take a couple of weeks to get my supplies and techniques down and I could make them as they are ordered.

Bike
Honda ST1300A
STOC #

I'd be honored to have it used as a teaching tool... although I'm not so sure there's much value in providing the completed solution to the problem, if it's used as a year-end project ;)
As a teaching tool, the best value of this may be as an excellent example of what kind of project can be done with some imagination. There may not be many of my students who have motorcycles in need of a GPI, but often the hardest part of getting a student interested in a project is finding something that piques their interest. I'm trying to build up a bit of a library of suggestions and the more ideas I can discuss with them the more likely they will find such a project. Having them analyze and understand the code has a value as well. Who knows, one of them may actually improve upon it, or adapt it to another purpose.

Again thanks for your efforts on this.

Bike
still deciding
STOC #

Could you post the procedure for teaching the device when first installed on the motorcycle?

Phil

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

The tech mode instructions are imbedded in the .txt source code files that were posted.

Lines beginning with ; are comments and not part of the code.

Basically turn unit on push button and hold for one second
push button based on flashes to program 5 or 6 gears.
run thru the gears on the center stand pushing button each time.

I think it also looks for valid data in eeprom memory and if it does not find anything it defaults to teach mode.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #

If no one else has stepped up, I'm pretty sure I can get my boss to let me make these.
Would take a couple of weeks to get my supplies and techniques down and I could make them as they are ordered.
Are you going to install also? I could ride down for the weekend!

Bike
2005 ST

My gear indicator is my left foot. When it can't shift up anymore, I'm in 5th! You are too smart for me!
Took the words right out of my mouth , Tommy. :)

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #

Well since I don't have an ST you could be the guinea pig. :p:
You let me know when you get one ready and pick a weekend an I will be there.

Would have to find a different location for one as my GPS mounts in the center there. I would think would could be but in the dash some place. Think I saw one on the dash once.

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Could you post the procedure for teaching the device when first installed on the motorcycle?

Phil
I've been working on an Installation & Setup document.
For now, I've attached a draft version of the document to post #4 at the top of the thread. Section 2 should tell you what you need to know.

PizzaHog

Still Bikeless, More Pathetic
STOC #

Wow - what an incredible job!

P.D. - my hat is off to you, sir!

NCrider, depending on price, count me in - I do a lot of 2nd-4th gear riding, and this would be a big help.

FWIW - I like the polished mounting in the linked pic, but I'd prefer a little display [like in P.D.'s prototype] that I can mount as high as possible (windscreen edge?) so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. [I lane-split a lot, and this is a *big* deal.]

Again - awesome job!

PH

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

Here it is! This is what I think would be an ideal location! Could you do it Andrew?

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=109519&postcount=17

Oh ya.... I remember seeing that, back when it was originally posted.
And I considered doing that too. But dismissed the idea (for my own selfish reasons) because I wanted my GPI to be portable. I know I'm gonna want to move it to another bike some day.

It's a great idea, tho.... see, look at all the great ideas we come up with... I love this place.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Top Bottom