Article [13] ST1300 - Goldwing Switch & Audiovox CC Installation

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
If you are interested in installing a back-lit, Gold Wing switch to control the Audiovox cruise control, this may be helpful. The Excel spreadsheet contains the wiring harness color codes and operation for the ST, Gold Wing switch, and Audiovox. The ST colors are applicable for the 2004 ABS, only. Other years should be the same, but may not be. Please check the manual for the correct color codes for your year and model. Also, some Gold Wing switch color codes may not match. I can explain what you will need to do to find what wires go where, though. A simple continuity tester will be sufficient to do this; a multimeter would be better.

Thanks to Snowmoer (GW switch, Rostra CC), Altexst1300 (GW switch, Rostra CC), and Tommyboy (Police Switch, MC Cruise CC) for the motivation to do this. Their wiring of the Rostra and the MC Cruise cruise controls were very cleanly done. In discussions with two of the above, it became clear that some of the wiring color codes were apparently assigned capriciously by Honda, some being different in color even in the same model year.

Cheers.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Re: Goldwing Switch & Audiovox CC Installation

I'm renting it out to politicians!

Sorry. I really meant to give credit to you also. I'm going to add some photos tonight, so I'll add your credit, too.

I'm stumped as to what use I could put the RVS button. I have two 'bug' switches set for the lights, so no need there. There is both an 'in' and an 'out' position to the RVS button, so it could take the place of two ordinary switches. I guess that I could wire my GMRS radio power through it. Any thoughts?

Marshal
So how's the reverse gear working?:D

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A

Nice photos, and nice spread sheet Marshal! I'm installing the same backlit GW controls within the next week or so, so your timing is impeccable :bow1:

I'm going to add some photos tonight.
The more, the better! I'll be lookin' for 'em. :)

I've rung out all the different wire colors and compared them with snowmoer's findings. I'm going to do the same with your Excel sheet this weekend.

Did you cut the GW switch harness and re-crimp new pins for the 9-pin connector? Did you need to shorten the GW harness? I've removed the pins from the big GW connector and was curious if I'd be able to re-insert the same pins into my new 9-pin connector (from Eastern Beaver). I do have new pins if I need to re-crimp. Finally, concerning the front brake, did you use the front brake wires from the GW switch harness (referring to the wires that plug into the terminals at the brake switch), or did you re-use the ST's brake wires?

Thanks again for your post! Really appreciate it.
Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

Nice photos, and nice spread sheet Marshal! I'm installing the same backlit GW controls within the next week or so, so your timing is impeccable :bow1:

The more, the better! I'll be lookin' for 'em. :)
They're up now.
st13fundred said:
I've rung out all the different wire colors and compared them with snowmoer's findings. I'm going to do the same with your Excel sheet this weekend.
Both Snowmoer and I have 2004s. His is a standard ST, mine is ABS. The wiring harness is different, colorwise. Choose the model you have for your comparison.
st13fundred said:
Did you cut the GW switch harness and re-crimp new pins for the 9-pin connector?
Yes, I did. I used about six inches of the GW harness; cut off the rest, then crimped the wires for the Hitachi 9-pin connector halves. I cut the four ST wires at the ST switch after removing the switch from the handlebar.
st13fundred said:
Did you need to shorten the GW harness? I've removed the pins from the big GW connector and was curious if I'd be able to re-insert the same pins into my new 9-pin connector (from Eastern Beaver).
Yes, the harness was cut down to about six inches in length. I don't see any reason that you could not use the GW pins.
st13fundred said:
I do have new pins if I need to re-crimp. Finally, concerning the front brake, did you use the front brake wires from the GW switch harness (referring to the wires that plug into the terminals at the brake switch), or did you re-use the ST's brake wires?
I left the front brake wires alone. I did not see any connection for them on the GW switch, anyway.
st13fundred said:
Thanks again for your post! Really appreciate it.
Matt
Let me know if I can help any more.

Marshal

Last edited:

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A

Both Snowmoer and I have 2004s. His is a standard ST, mine is ABS. The wiring harness is different, colorwise. Choose the model you have for your comparison.
Mine is an '04A too. I've printed out the page that snowmoer posted here, as well as yours. I'll look for the differences on the ST side.

I used about six inches of the GW harness; cut off the rest, then crimped the wires for the Hitachi 9-pin connector halves.
I've attached a photo of my GW switch/harness. I was hoping I would be able leave the harness intact and plug the appropriate GW pins into my new 9-pin Hitachi connector for the start/stop/starter functions. That connector would then plug into the mating 9-pin connector down on the right side of the frame (where the existing harness from my ST switches currently plug in).

Of course, the pins from the GW cruise switches would plug into the Audiovox CC harness (Rostra in my case) through a different set of connectors. I bought additional contacts/connectors for this.

I left the front brake wires alone. I did not see any connection for them on the GW switch, anyway.
In the photo, on the left you can see four quick-disconnect connectors. Two of these will connect to my front brake terminals (up near the lever).

Let me know if I can help any more.
Marshal
You have. Thanks.

Matt

p.s. If anyone cares, the second picture shows the Rostra CC unit, Centrodyne pulse divider, and Futaba servo arm that I'll be installing per Altexst1300's Rostra CC instructions.

Attachments

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #

I found that the Gold Wing pins would not fit the Hatachi plug. I just cut them off. I cut it to length where the GW wires need to plug into the ST wires. I also used another 9 pin plug at the same spot to hook into the Rostra. Just made it a clean install. I did not cut off the extra wires that are with the brake wires. I saved them so I have wires there if I need them down the road.

Reverse switch. I use it to turn on and off the relay for my moto lights.

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

Looks good, Matt. Since you have the Rostra, as does Dan, what steered you to get it versus the Audiovox?

Marshal

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A

Since you have the Rostra, as does Dan, what steered you to get it versus the Audiovox?
That's a good question. I suspect people here that have the Audiovox realize its a rebadged Rostra-made CC unit. Rostra also makes the factory OEM cruise controls in a lot of the (domestic and import) cars available in the US.

So I phoned Rostra's Tech Support line and told them that I wanted to add CC to my ST13. Knowing they make two universal CC units, one being the vacuum-actuated type (i.e Audiovox CCS-100/Rostra 250-1176) and the other being the motor-actuated version (Rostra 250-1223), I asked them which one they recommended.

With a little hesitation, the guy said they didn't have much(any?) experience with installing CC on motorcycles. He said Dakota Digital sells their CC in a universal kit which have been adapted to motorcycles (with a few optional parts to make it a kind of value-added version), and then he finally said if it were him, he'd use the electric one for a motorcycle application. He gave a couple reasons for this, but I can't really remember the specifics, sorry. My brain just kind of locked onto the electric one after he said it, probably because I'm a control system engineer - so it (electrical) is something I'm fairly comfortable with (Note I said comfortable, not good). I think I remember him saying that's the direction CC's are heading - I think. Obviously, with the large successful install base of the Audiovox, you can't really say that one is better than the other.

Then I picked up both the Rostra and GW controls through Ebay. I had intended on installing it during Christmas, but when I took the tupperware off (for the first time), I got involved with a lot of other maintenance items that are just wrapping up now. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :D

Matt

p.s. Thanks Dan. The existing GW pins looked a little big for the 9-pin connector. I'll just recrimp the Hitachi pins on instead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

Thanks, Matt. I knew that Rostra made both brands, and assumed that they made rebranded copies for others. Apparently they do.

I called tech support about a year ago to ask about the jumper that the installation booklet says is used to modify the CC for either an automatic or a manual transmission. After some hemming and hawing, the tech admitted that the jumper does nothing; Rostra was going to use it in a circuit, then did not. That pretty well spilled the beans that my Audiovox was made by Rostra.

Marshal

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A

Wasn't aware of that (the "non-operational" Auto/Manual switch setting). Good to know.

I also have a question concerning the GW switch and one of the CC switch settings (may apply to the Audiovox too). In the ST1300 Articles | Mods | ST1300 Rostra Cruise Control Installation article, altexst1300, says his (non-backlit) GL1800 CC switch is a closed-circuit switch, so the Rostra switch setting for this type of control should be ON.

But in a follow-up post in the same thread, snowmoer says this, "In the dipswitch settings, Al’s instructions state that switch 12 is in the “ON” position. The backlit switch is an open circuit switch, so number 12 needs to be in the OFF position".

When I test continuity on my backlit GW control, the contact under test closes when the corresponding button is pushed - which, IIRC matches the scan of GW truth table in Al's article. In other words, both the backlit and non-backlit controls operate the same.

So what makes it a closed-circuit switch in Al's experience, and an open-circuit switch in Dan's experience? Does it matter? I have a hard time believing Honda would change the switch-type when they added the backlighting to the later model. Dan, can you shed a little light on the subject? The Rostra schematic leaves something to be desired on this detail. (Remember earlier when I said I was comfortable with electrical stuff, but not "good" at it - we'll I'm just proving my point here :eek:: )

What setting did you select, Marshal?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

Wasn't aware of that (the "non-operational" Auto/Manual switch setting). Good to know.

I also have a question concerning the GW switch and one of the CC switch settings (may apply to the Audiovox too). In the ST1300 Articles | Mods | ST1300 Rostra Cruise Control Installation article, altexst1300, says his (non-backlit) GL1800 CC switch is a closed-circuit switch, so the Rostra switch setting for this type of control should be ON.

But in a follow-up post in the same thread, snowmoer says this, "In the dipswitch settings, Al?s instructions state that switch 12 is in the ?ON? position. The backlit switch is an open circuit switch, so number 12 needs to be in the OFF position".

When I test continuity on my backlit GW control, the contact closes when a button is pushed - which, IIRC matches the scan of GW truth table in Al's article. In other words, both the backlit and non-backlit controls operate the same.

So what makes it a closed-circuit switch in Al's experience, and an open-circuit switch in Dan's experience? Does it matter? I have a hard time believing Honda would change the switch-type when they added the backlighting lto the later model. Dan, can you shed a little light on the subject? The Rostra schematic leaves something to be desired on this detail. (Remember earlier when I said I was comfortable with electrical stuff, but not "good" at it - we'll I'm just proving my point here :eek:: )

What setting did you select, Marshal?
I use 'Normal Open'

This is sometimes called the "make" or "break" condition. 'Normal Open' means that the touch-pad switch that came with your Rostra passes no current until a button/switch is pressed, then current travels through the switch and out to the servo. 'Normal Closed' means that the switch breaks the current when pressed. This should be set from the Rostra servo, not the ST's wires nor the Gold Wing's switch. 'Normal Open' is what Dan uses, according to what he wrote. Try that first.

I do not see how Honda's adding of a back-light to the switch would change anything, but one never knows.

Marshal

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A

I use 'Normal Open' ... 'Normal Open' means that the touch-pad switch that came with your Rostra passes no current until a button/switch is pressed
Thanks Marshal, Normally-Open makes perfect sense. You just pointed out an additional difference between the Audiovox and the Rostra; something that I forgot about until you just mentioned it above. The Audiovox includes the touch-pad switch, but the Rostra does not. If I had a touch-pad, it would've cleared things up in short-order (works just like the Goldwing switch control).

Now it makes me wonder how Al ever got his working :hun1:

Thanks again.
Matt

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #

Matt,

To answer the question on the on vs. off for the dip switch. I set the switch in the on position the way Al has it in his post. It would not work. When I put it in the off position, it worked fine. Not sure why. I would not think the switch gear would be different by just adding lights, but it is Honda:D I hooked everything else the way Al had listed.

Anyway, just used the CC today. Rode the bike to Sacramento (490 miles)today for a work trip. Used the CC on Hwy 58 and 99. Worked great!

st13fundred

Bike
'04 ST13A

When I put it (switch #12 - Matt's comment) in the off position, it worked fine.
Understood. Thanks Dan, Thanks Marshal.

Rode the bike to Sacramento (490 miles)today for a work trip.
Hope you had an Awesome ride Dan! Do you know how jealous I am right now ;) (p.s. Don't forget to submit your mileage reimbursement.)

Used the CC on Hwy 58 and 99. Worked great!
Excellent! Love to hear it. OK, I'm plumb out of excuses now. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1300

I have a 2007 ST1300 and am thinking about installing the Backlit Goldwing switch along with Rostra/Audiovox (not sure yet) cruise control. Does it matter what year of Goldwing switch I use? Anybody have a part number?

Louie Louie

Thanx Dr. M. I JuST ordered my cruise control.!

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

Thanx Dr. M. I JuST ordered my cruise control.!
Louis:

What did you get: an Audiovox or a Rostra?

If I made the purchase decision today, knowing what I now know, I'd go with the Rostra, the pulse divider, and the Gold Wing switch assembly. I like my Audiovox fine, but trust vacuum lines' integrity less than electronics.

Also, I had intended to get out to ride with you over the holidays, but trips to Boston and, soon, Junction, TX, have cut down my time available. Will you be going to the TurboCity TechSTOC?

Cheers,

Marshal

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

Attached is a revised spreadsheet for this thread. I deleted the old one but can't seem to add the new sheet to take its place.

Marshal

Mellow edit-I added the file to the first post.

Bike
Honda ST1300

If you are interested in installing a back-lit, Gold Wing switch to control the Audiovox cruise control, this may be helpful. The Excel spreadsheet contains the wiring harness color codes and operation for the ST, Gold Wing switch, and Audiovox. The ST colors are applicable for the 2004 ABS, only. Other years should be the same, but may not be. Please check the manual for the correct color codes for your year and model. Also, some Gold Wing switch color codes may not match. I can explain what you will need to do to find what wires go where, though. A simple continuity tester will be sufficient to do this; a multimeter would be better.

Marshall, I'll take you up on your offer. My 2007 ST1300 is non ABS. The color codes are exactly as AltextST has them in his installation guide.

The confusion starts with the Goldwing switch. I bought the same switch you have but the wire colours differ somewhat.
-the closest I can find to the black/white is a black/white w/red squares
-no solid white wire (has red squares also)
-found a blue/white
-the yellow/red has green squares
-the brown/red has green squares
-found a light green wire with red squares and black stripes?
-found a dark green wire with red or black squares? Hard to tell against the dark green background. I'm leaning toward black.
I attached a couple of pictures of the harness with the connector end only, so you can hopefully see my choices!
I would be happy for any assistance or instruction!

ST1300 2007 Non ABS.PNG

DSCN1058.jpg

DSCN1059.jpg

Forgot to mention: I am installing the Rostra electronic version, not the CCS 100.

Top Bottom