ST1300 luggage tie downs?

Bike
2006 Honda ST13
There don't seem to be many good places to attach bungee cords on the back seat or rack. Any creative solutions out there? I have an '06 and I'm looking into tail bags (I like the Moto Fiz, medium) and wonder how it'll attach. I see the little dogs on the underside of the back rack but that doesn't allow for much purchase forward.

When I use the rear seat for equipment, I lift the handles of the bags and attach to there... out of way and the hooks don't hit anything.

I ran a soft tie (web strap with loops at each end) under the seat and another thru eh rack mount. Now you can bungie to the loops

Rok Straps through the grab handles on the bike to hold a bag to the rear seat. Another option is a luggage rack made by companies like Turbo City. I use one mounted to the top box plate when the top box is off. Tom also makes one that replaces the factory top luggage rack plate and give you a bigger flat surface and more tie down points.

I have run straps under the back seat, front to back. Basically use the back seat as my cargo area. If you pile it with enough stuff you get a back rest as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I cut some short lengths of 3/16" rope (line to you sailors out there) and tied the ends together to form a circle. The rope passes around the subframe under the pillion seat and sticks out enough to form a loop for a bungee cord or rocstrap. The rope is soft and won't mar the finish and when I am not traveling they are tucked out of sight under the seat. I picked white line with red flecks because everyone knows red is the fastest on a curvy road.

100_1465.jpg

For secure attachment points on the luggage rack I went to West Marine and picked up two 1/4 x 20 eyebolts and nuts to replace the rear allen head screws in the rack. I saw these first on CrazyK's ST1300 several years ago. I had to cut the threaded portion down to the right length so the nuts are up in the recessed holes under the rack like the OEM capnuts are.

100_1470.jpg

Dang! Once again, Dave knows all.

Awesome solutions! :bow1:

Rok Straps through the grab handles on the bike to hold a bag to the rear seat. Another option is a luggage rack made by companies like Turbo City. I use one mounted to the top box plate when the top box is off. Tom also makes one that replaces the factory top luggage rack plate and give you a bigger flat surface and more tie down points.

I use both!!
ROK Straps are strong, elastic and very easy.
Turbo Tom's Rack give more option for the straps.

And the prize goes to ddualin! Nice clean solution that leaves no tracks and I'm a sailor to boot! Thanks to all for your input. This is my first "New Thread" and this is awesome. All you gotta do is ask. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom