ST1300 OEM Top Case installation

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Scored a deal on an OEM Top case. Unfortunately it did not come with the installation Hardware.
Anybody have knowledge or experience that would get me closer to getting this case mounted?

Thanks for any info!

Ride On!
Ride Safe!

When you say hardware do you mean screws, nut and bolts. Did it come with a large piece of black plastic?? AKA baseplate

:confused1:

What parts do you have and what do you want to mount it to, ST11 or ST13?

I have ordered the carrier that the box attaches to. I guess I need the plate that adapts to the luggage rack. SupraSabre the pics are a great help. Thanks for all reply’s. I will provide pics when I get a chance.

:thumb: SupraSabre wins today's internet award for how to give a great answer to a post!

Just throwing this out there in case you get desperate -- I read on here somewhere the CTX1300 top case fits on the base for the ST1300 Hondaline case. If you can't find the ST1300 one you may be able to adapt the CTX mounting to your ST. Here a link to the instructions for the CTX mount: http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L73-MJN-D00.pdf

Last edited:
If you can't get the plate that goes between the bike and the bottom plate for the rack you can always make one from a sheet of aluminum (or steel)

My bike didn't have the OEM cover when I installed the Pan top case. The bike had came with a Givi case with it's universal mount attached to the homemade plate.

1596541188803.png

I reused the plate (just to fill in the gaps) with the Pan case. The Pan case was complete though with all it's required bits.

I just received my case. Keys but no hardware. Trying to determine availability of carrier bracket (08L42-MCS-80004). Found on this site https://nutjob.ie/search.php?search_query=08L42-MCS-80004&section=product . I don't know if anyone has experience with them.
Should I strike out, I will be trying to make one. Nice to know it is doable. Is your solution secure? Noticeable when case is installed?
Thanks for the reply.
I will update on my progress.

Ride On!
Be Safe!

The carrier bracket 08L42-MCS-80004 (part#2 in the photo below) came with my case, however I think you could install it without.
My homemade part shown above goes between the carrier bracket (part#3) and the bike.

The carrier bracket (#3) bolts to the bike and then the case mount (#2) bolts to that.
It's done that way to allow the case and it's mount plate to have some side to side movement for the passenger (so I'm told)

1596558703066.png
If you can fine a way to mount the plate (#2) to the bike without the other plate (#3) it should be fine. You just won't have that tiny bit of sideways movement.
My Givi case's mount was attached to the bike directly and was fine. I'd ensure you had at least 4 mounting points for the top plate to the bike.
I don't think it would look out of place as it's hard to see plate#3 when the case is on.

The plate #3 does a couple of things for plate #2. It moves the front mounting spots backwards from the bike's mounting holes and moves the rear holes outward some.
I snapped a couple of photos if it helps to illustrate.

1596559507521.png
1596559846317.png

I can dig out my spare topcase and both plates if you need better photos or dimensions etc.

Last edited:
Waste of time. A database of trawled parts codes.
Tried them a few times then decided it just was not worth the effort.
Tried to email them regarding availability. No response so far.
thanks for the response. I think I will try make one out of .125 sheet aluminum. I can locate holes from case and carrier.
Can anyone give me the setback ie offset of carrier to bracket holes?

Thanks again

Ride on!
Ride Safe!

If you ride with a pillion, make sure the top box is not too far fore or aft for pillion comfort. When I mounted my top box(es), I had my wife sit on the bike and tell me when it was to far fore and aft, so I had a range to position the box. I then fab'd the plate/holes to match. IMO, you should use 1/4" thick aluminum. Another option is a thick HDPE cutting board, if you can mount it without putting a lot of bending moment on it. Else, it will fatigue and crack.... BTDT.

I don't have a top box of any kind but do have some questions. The factory box has some movement built into the base. Some say... This is to allow some shift in the box to make smoother transitions in handling. Do the DIY solutions have this? It doesn't look like it. Do any other third-party solutions or other bikes' OEM kit offer this built-in movement? I put a Vetter trunk on my GL1000 and experienced impaired handling when it was heavily laden. Empty it's presence was felt but not annoyingly so.

Back
Top Bottom