ST1300 on a track

Looks like an experienced rider in a novice group based on the lack of lean on the other bikes. Personally I would have taken off the bags. I would have also given him an earful for passing on the inside of a turn. Usually not permitted on track days (not races) and very dangerous.

He does not look that experienced with all his jerky movements, mid corner corrections, and like Whooshka said, passing on the inside of a turn.
He looked kinda dangerous to me, and I would not want him riding that way near me, on a track day, or in a race.
As far as taking off the bags goes, it probably still would not have helped, as this bike was not designed nor meant to be on a track in the first place :rolleyes:

It all looked very exciting and just a little bit scary. No, a lot scary.
The brakes were certainly having to work very hard.
Physics is physics I spose.
Upt'North.

I only mention removing the bags in case you go down why not avoid another grand in damage. And I wonder who sponsored that track day. I've never done one where tech inspectors allowed mirrors. I think it might have been a non-competitive, restricted speed track tour and some guys got carried away.

And I didn't see any headlights, mirrors, reflectors etc. taped up either :rolleyes:.
The only bikes I ever took on a closed course had EVERY critical nut/bolt safety wired.
This does very much look like a restricted speed tour that the kids got carried away. :rofl1:

Last edited:
I do enjoy watching the non-sportbike bikes racing at tracks and showing the race bikes they are not all-that-and-a-bag-of-crisps .

On of my favorites is watching the Yamaha MT-01 race against sport bikes :) The drone rumble of the big v-twin as it passes the whine of the sport bikes.

I had a Yamaha TDM 850 that wore many different hats in the time I owned it.
Set it up for some track days during the super twin days, and then changed the exhaust and put some dual sport tires on it and used it for adventure riding before the GS thing really caught on.
Miss that bike...don't miss the Barney Purple color though :rolleyes:

Now that guy on the MT can RIDE! He doesn't have the ground clearance of the sport bikes so he's hanging off and keeping the bike upright as much as possible. Well done! And THAT is why guys who brag about grinding their pegs are not necessarily cornering to the max. His pegs aren't close to touching and he's carrying a lot of corner speed.

And I didn't see any headlights, mirrors, reflectors etc. taped up either :rolleyes:.
The only bikes I ever took on a closed course had EVERY critical nut/bolt safety wired.
This does very much look like a restricted speed tour that the kids got carried away. :rofl1:

Many "advanced riding" classes have lapping sessions included and you do not have to safety wire fasteners or the glass taped. That could be what is happening here.

All in all props to him for having an ST on a track, in a nutshell it all depends on the rider and skills - me being a turd will stay out of it :D

The ST is actually quite capable on the track (within limits of course). It is fun blowing off some sportbikes with a bagger! Humbling when the instructor, on a dirt bike, runs away and hides from you though. The torque of the V4 allows you to concentrate on smooth braking and cornering without having to worry too much about shifting and keeping the motor on the boil.

He posted another track video. I agree with Igofar, I wouldn't want to be near him on the track or on the road. Heck even in the pits would bother me.

Back when I started riding again after a 10 year layoff I joined the local chapter of BMWMOA mainly for one reason. We had an annual instructed track day at Jennings GP and the fee was only $50. Because the club rented the entire facility for the day we were exempt from having to do a few things like wear full leathers, safety wire, and use water wetter coolant. I learned a lot those two days.

He posted another track video. I agree with Igofar, I wouldn't want to be near him on the track or on the road. Heck even in the pits would bother me.

Pity he's got a plug in it for the booster plug when so many others seem to think it's snake oil.

See no problem to pass on inside, just calculate speed & distance in relation to the other bike.

I respectfully disagree, it's a big problem when it's not a race where you can expect competition. And almost all riders are at almost the same skill/expectation level. Early on in the first video there is a bike to the left of him about to dive into the apex of a right hander. He just cuts him off. That other bike is now forced to make a mid corner correction he may not be set up for.

Whether that was an open track tour (which is what it looks like to me based on the widely varied rider skills), or instructional track school (which is sometimes allowed in the advanced class, and that was no advanced group) or sanctioned race (no way, not with mirrors and no tape), passing on the inside is inherently dangerous and stupid to do to lesser amatuer riders.

Last edited:
He does not look that experienced with all his jerky movements, mid corner corrections, and like Whooshka said, passing on the inside of a turn.
He looked kinda dangerous to me, and I would not want him riding that way near me, on a track day, or in a race.
As far as taking off the bags goes, it probably still would not have helped, as this bike was not designed nor meant to be on a track in the first place :rolleyes:

The inside pass would have made me pit at the next opportunity. I cancelled a Track School at VIR a few years ago after reading Reg Pridmore's book and watching his school videos. My buddies said that some Yahoo on a C14 did some landscaping on day two. Not for me!

This wasn't a track day per se, just a three lap perk after dragging around and setting up AMA air bag fencing all morning.

Yes, you have to do about 100 to stay up on the banking.

The inside pass would have made me pit at the next opportunity. I cancelled a Track School at VIR a few years ago after reading Reg Pridmore's book and watching his school videos. My buddies said that some Yahoo on a C14 did some landscaping on day two. Not for me!

I've done Reg Pridmore's CLASS school. Very educational, a great experience. Also his son's STAR school, Penguin Racing and lots of Team ProMotion track days. I've seen guys get asked to leave because of reckless riding.

Back
Top Bottom