Article [13] ST1300 - Replacing the brake fluid ST1300 Video

Hi Guys,

I replaced the brake fluid on my ST1300 this weekend, and thought others might find it useful. In full disclosure, I don't purge the entire system, prior to refilling it, as I do mine the manual method.

Again this is just the way I do it, hopefully someone finds it a useful start point, even if its only the sequence of events.

Hi JasonB

Excellent video...came at the right time to as I have just got my Pan and am going through it as very little in the way of service history other than dealer stamps in the book.

One thing I did see was that you have a printed version of the service manual. Could I ask where you got it as I am looking for one and haven't been able to find one as yet?

Many thanks

Mitch

OP
OP
Hi JasonB

Excellent video...came at the right time to as I have just got my Pan and am going through it as very little in the way of service history other than dealer stamps in the book.

One thing I did see was that you have a printed version of the service manual. Could I ask where you got it as I am looking for one and haven't been able to find one as yet?

Many thanks

Mitch
Evening Mitch,

Do you have an email address you can pm me?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Very good!

One thing I never thought of, although I have bled the ST1300 brakes numerous times, is holding the purge line straight up, keeping the bubbles to a minimum!

I usually use a vacuum pump, and I have a new one to try next time. It works off my air compressor. So, instead of having the purge bottle on the ground, I just might try having it up off the ground, higher than the bleed nipple.

Doing brake bleed this weekend was a bit worried but that video explains everything ,thank you

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hi Guys,

I replaced the brake fluid on my ST1300 this weekend, and thought others might find it useful. In full disclosure, I don't purge the entire system, prior to refilling it, as I do mine the manual method.

Again this is just the way I do it, hopefully someone finds it a useful start point, even if its only the sequence of events.

This is the procedure for a non abs ST1300 also? Can I skip the valve under the right side fairing? What is that valve for?
Thx for the info!
Alan

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
This is the procedure for a non abs ST1300 also? Can I skip the valve under the right side fairing? What is that valve for?
Thx for the info!
Alan
That would be the Proportioning Control Valve, which aids in reducing front-end dive. Simply put, my understanding is it helps determine how long before the front and rear brakes deploy after using either. The Linked Brake System is present on the ST1300, independent of ABS.
Wikipedia: In this system, the rider's action of depressing one of the brake levers applies both front and rear brakes. The amount of each brake applied may be determined by a proportional control valve.
So to answer the question, yes, you "could" skip it - just as you can shortcut any other maintenance procedure.
I wouldn't recommend it, because it's a quick process to bleed it. Obviously, others' opinions may vary.
But I doubt @Igofar would disagree.
EDIT: I had meant to include this diagram:

Last edited:
Reactions: ATA

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Very good!

One thing I never thought of, although I have bled the ST1300 brakes numerous times, is holding the purge line straight up, keeping the bubbles to a minimum!

I usually use a vacuum pump, and I have a new one to try next time. It works off my air compressor. So, instead of having the purge bottle on the ground, I just might try having it up off the ground, higher than the bleed nipple.
Old thread but still worthy!
Like you I never thought about holding the purge strait up. I bought an air compressor vacuum pump recently and I am disappointed by the weakness of the vacuum pressure.
What brand are you using, are you happy with it?

Top Bottom