Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

Thank you both for your replies!

I do not have LED tail lights, the brake switch has a good ground and the cruise control module responds to using the brake lever.

I checked the main ground to make sure the resistance wasn't too high (as per the rostra installation manual).

I'll adjust the engine power settings from your recommendation but my main concern was that the VSS test appeared to be giving me an error code (but it sounds like according to kiltman this is normal behavior).
 
Has anyone managed to tie in the clutch switch to the Neutral Safety Switch (Light Green wire on the Cruise Control Module)? I've been trying to wrap my head around how the clutch sensor circuit works and it doesn't seem to make sense.

In THEORY, the solid green wire on the forward left hand side fuse box which is the centre pin of a double diode for the Clutch Diode SHOULD be exactly what I want but when the bike is in gear and clutch lever out, I get battery voltage (I can work with that), pull clutch in, no change (???) still battery voltage, shift into neutral reads 0v (makes more sense since the neutral position switch goes to ground when the transmission is in neutral).

What I am hoping for is either a wire that is ground when the clutch lever is out and non-ground (12v) when the clutch is pulled but this circuit seems to give kind of +5v and doesn't really seem to change regardless of the clutch lever position (switch is tested as good)
 
I wired up the Rostra Global cruise control with an internally lit panel mount switch with LED, brake relay, and Z063 pulse divider. I did not clip anything out if the divider's PCB.

The unit will not enter diagnostic mode, meaning the LED in side of the servo unit will not illuminate no matter what I do. I have power at the red, brown, and blue wires, tested at the servo connector plug, with the ignition in the ON position. The ground is good. I tried disconnecting the clutch disconnect switch with no change. Here are my questions:

  • The instructions say that the red wire should be connected to a constant power source and that it should be connected to the hot side of the brake switch. But the hot side of the brake switch is only hot when the ignition is ON. Is this the correct hook-up? Does it matter?
  • Should I have power at the blue wire? I connected this to the blue (upper) wire on the right side coil. Is this the correct connection point?
  • Is the indicator LED in the control switch supposed to be illuminated full time? The OFF button has no effect on it.
  • Can dip switch position cause the unit to not enter diagnostic mode?
  • Is there a way to test the diagnostic LED itself?
  • Any other ideas about what could be causing this problem?
 
Back
Top Bottom