Article [13] ST1300 - Saddlebag Power Without Disconnects

Re: Saddlebag Power without wiring disconnects

That's pretty cool. Those copper rivets are pretty handy. If the finish turns use a big pencil eraser for shinning them up.

Update: For anyone having a difficult time locating the very thin sheet copper, just find a computer hacker or computer junker with an old chip cooler. I was recently given some old chip coolers (heat sinks with built in fans) and these are loaded with very thin copper sheeting to build the heat sink assembly.

Also, it has been a few months since the original build any everything still works great. :07biker:

Please expect my ST in the mail with some light strips. When you have finished the installation please send it back in the provided Self Addressed Stamped Envelope.

I think that is a great set-up but my Goldfish Attention span would prevent me from actually doing that on my bike.

Please expect my ST in the mail with some light strips. When you have finished the installation please send it back in the provided Self Addressed Stamped Envelope.

I think that is a great set-up but my Goldfish Attention span would prevent me from actually doing that on my bike.

+1
I hope the self addressed envelope isn't too expensive.:eek:4:

Re: ST1300-Saddlebag Power Without Disconnects

I've been thinking on how to incorporate turn signals into this farkle, easily. Two diodes and a relay added to the circuit should synchronize the side led's with the turn signals.

attachment.php

The diodes will act as "backflow preventers" so as not to feed power back to the non-activated turn signals and the relay will break the contact of the hot wire every time the turn signal flashes - turn signal electric pulse causes the relay to activate, momentarily breaking the hot power to led circuit, until the turn signal pulse dies which allows the relay to re-establish the hot power (turning the led's back on) until the next cycle.

This should work, take minimal space and cost under $7 in components to add into the circuit. With the exception of soldering the diodes inline, this is minimally labor intensive and almost a "drop in" component fitting directly inline to the existing wiring. If I have time this week, I'll root around the shop for the required parts and see if I can add this to the circuit and make sure it works as well as it does in my head. If all else fails, I'll go to Rat-Shack and get a new relay for $6

Wait a minute....I was wrong. I was running this over in my head and I realized my schematic will NOT work properly as I drew it up. This mod will require 2 separate relays, one for each side of the turn signal otherwise the schematic as I have it listed will result in BOTH sides flashing when either turn signal is applied. I will update this schematic when I have time. Total cost of the mod should still be $10-$15.

Attachments

• LED relay schematic.jpg
    LED relay schematic.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 222

For thin, adhesive copper tape, check your local stain glass shop. Comes is rolls, they'd probably give ya a foot or so for cheap. Lots of contacts there.

for a better "bags off" look, solder pennies on to the bike side of the contacts. (just a thought, :D)

Saw another article some time ago, same general technique, with the copper tape, to add power to the right-hand lid on the 1100 fairing pocket. Volt-meter and other farkles added there. Enuff room in the "groove" to add several contacts, tape is thin enuff to not interfere with lid function.

Good old American ingenuity. I know you probably hated drilling that one hole. Your overall design is very CLEVER. I love it when you can incorporate existing aspects of the bike to pull double duty when farkellization is needed. It makes for a much more efficient design ( IMO ).
WELL DONE.

I installed 2 miniature relays into the system tonight to let the side led's act as additional turn signals. The Radio Shack part number is 275-0248 12v SPDT relay.

For anyone wanting to add this to a side light system, or any marker lights for that matter, so that they are synchronized with the turn signals, install as follows.

1) Cut the main power line to the side lights close to where you want to install the relay for that side. (Of course you can add more wire for a remote install.)Take the hot end of this wire and solder it to the common lead of the relay. Take the other end that goes to the side lights and solder it to the NC (normally closed) terminal of the relay.

2) You will need a jumper wire set for the turn signal pick up. A light weight speaker wire works perfect for this. Solder 1 end of each jumper wire to the coil terminals. These are isolated so it won't matter which becomes hot or ground. Now take the other ends of these jumper wires and connect 1 wire to ground and the other wire to the turn signal wire that corresponds with the side you are working on.

3) That's it, you're done. Test it. When the turn signal current is passed across the coil, the coil opens the normally closed circuit and turns the side lights off. When the turn signal current is lost, the coil loses power and the normally closes circuit closes and the side lights come back on. When the turn signals are off, your side lights stay on.

:slv13:

Total cost of this additional farkle: $4.69 x 2 = $9.38 + tax

Back
Top Bottom