ST1300 Seat Adjust

Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Hi folks, I recently related sliding forward into the gas tank, was whining about it and made references to needing an aftermarket seat. On a forum thread "to ST or Not to ST" I got into a discussion where someone advised me to adjust the front of the seat up and the back of the seat down . . . . I can't find that thread anymore. But think I have confirmed (at least on my 2005 ST1300 ABS) if one raises the front of the seat, the back will rise too. I would love to learn that this is actually possible on other models etc, but fear it was just good fun at the expense of newbee. That's okay, pretty funny, actually. Let me know if there are any opinions to the contrary, else; I'll go on feeling the fool.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
With a little or sometimes a lot of force you can push the seat forward enough to get the rear of the seat to engage the next set of slots in the wire loops, which will lower the rear of the seat. I had to do this with my Day Long Russel to get it to be a Day Long.

Kevin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The back of the seat has three sets of slots that engage the wire loops on the frame under it. It is possible to raise the seat adjuster in front to the high position and then bend the seat pan to engage any one of the three height slots in the back. You might have to kind of bend the seat pan up in the middle and force it into position but it is plastic and conforms to pressure. Once the seat is left there awhile it conforms and is not difficult to replace the next time. Some folks slightly bend the loops forward or backward to better engage the desired slots but I did not have to do this.

Usually we will drop a hint if we are pulling your leg. :)D) The adjustment is indeed possible and lots of people do this. I had to bend the two back loops a little bit. Then I also made some tweaks with a dremel tool to the front mounting.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
I have the front of the seat in the middle position and the back in the lowest. Just took steady pressure pressing forward and down on the back edge to get it that way. No bending of the seat or loops or dremeling was necessary.
-STeve

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
I've never had to mangle the seat or the adjusters - I just push and it has always gone in any of the three sets of rear slots I've chosen. I've always been able to adjust the front or rear up or down pretty much to my liking. YMMV of course.

Reactions: GWG
OP
OP
tcrooks
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Thank you. I will proceed with renewed confidence, thanks so much for responding, I valued each response. I got these new insulated pull over pants w/body armor, etc which earned me not but sliding all over the seat, usually forward with less than optimal results. I finally returned to my old (cruiser) leather chaps. Thanks again.

Bike
ST1300
You are very correct. I have had two ST1300s and both seats caused uncomfortable slide to the gas tank, especially on long rides. I bought an AirHawk adjustable jell seat cover and this did not help one bit. Then I got an awesome aftermarket seat, but had the same problem. Then I found that Motorcycle Larry MCL, has a seat adjuster for the ST1300, they sell for $59.95. This allows greater adjustment up and down and independent adjustment of the front and back of the seat; finally resolving this irritating pain in the back side on long rides. MCL's seat adjusters are worth more than any $1,000.00 custom seat. As always, the engineering, fit and finish, and product quality for MCLs adjusters is Outstanding. They take about 10 minutes to install, and eliminate the need to force or bend the hoops are other parts of your bike. Get the Adjusters and enjoy your long rides.

Bike
2006 ST1300PA
STOC #
Then I found that Motorcycle Larry MCL, has a seat adjuster for the ST1300, they sell for $59.95. need to force or bend the hoops are other parts .
BB,

I just had a look on MCL's site and couldn't find the above. Can you point me in the right direction? I know of someone who's having seat problems.

Thank you,

Dave R

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I had to bend the loops a little bit, but now I'm middle front, back low, or top front, back middle. Much better. Sheepskin also helps keep you from sliding.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OP
OP
tcrooks
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
I bought the adjusters, will advise (looking at the peg lowering kit too). I bought the bike 2-months ago, have a Sargent Stealth passenger backrest, Heli bar risers, Ram electronics accesory mount, tank pad, BrakeAway throttle lock, and now seat risers . . . what do you guys call this stuff . . . farkle?? Guess its all part of nest-making . . . Now, all I need now is my Cardo Scala G-4 communications system, Time to ride!

. . . then it'll get hot and I'll start to cook, then an aftermarket exhaust system (of course with adjustable back-pressure), remove internal cowling, add deflector wing parts . . . its good to be 56/17. What else am I going to do, chase women!?! This is cheaper!

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Hi folks, I recently related sliding forward into the gas tank, was whining about it and made references to needing an aftermarket seat. On a forum thread "to ST or Not to ST" I got into a discussion where someone advised me to adjust the front of the seat up and the back of the seat down . . . . I can't find that thread anymore. But think I have confirmed (at least on my 2005 ST1300 ABS) if one raises the front of the seat, the back will rise too. I would love to learn that this is actually possible on other models etc, but fear it was just good fun at the expense of newbee. That's okay, pretty funny, actually. Let me know if there are any opinions to the contrary, else; I'll go on feeling the fool.

A quick wheelie should put you back in the proper position. :D

Dave C. :cool:

OP
OP
tcrooks
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Installed the seat risers. 2" rise at the front, rear adjusters operate on the top two levels. Definitely effected tank slide, much more comfortable. I'm 6'2" and it gave me more leg room as well. Significantly negated the benefits of the 2" Heli bar risers I had previously installed. Also, the windshield lost coverage, increasing wind noise and buffeting. Guess I need a bigger windshield?

OP
OP
tcrooks
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Adjusted windshield mounting to the higher level and solved the aforementioned windshield issues.

OP
OP
tcrooks
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Bought Alaska Leather wool butt pads. These pads fit the front and rear seats very well, completely eliminating the slipping and sliding, and; with these added wife wants to go on a road trip next weekend (B&Bs NorCal). This a big win, she is beginning to warm to the ST (and riding in general) for the first time since dumping my cruiser.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I have the front of the seat in the middle position and the back in the lowest. Just took steady pressure pressing forward and down on the back edge to get it that way. No bending of the seat or loops or dremeling was necessary.
-STeve
+1 and stock seat is not nearly as bad as I thought.

Top Bottom