ST1300 v Triumph Trophy SE

Hi All,

Looking at used Sport Tourers and narrowed things down to ST1300, Triumph Trophy and (possibly) BMW K/R series. Can anyone out there tell me what they think/know of the ST1300 versus Trophy SE long term? Comfort, ride, reliability, maintenance?

I have a feeling the ST1300 is going to be low maintenance. If anyone has anything to share what they know about 2014+ Trophys let me know. Trying to avoid 2013s.

I have a CTX700 now and selling for an upgrade in size and carrying capacity.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Both are great dependable bike. The Trophy will come with a lot more options than that the ST doesn’t have. I’ve had my ST 1300 14 years with no problems. Thought about the Trophy many time. Still might buy one.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I too have/am considered(ing) a Trophy. I haven't ridden one yet but I am lured by all the modern electronics that ST doesn't have. However, that means more things to break that the ST doesn't have too. ;)

I played that game with the third gen FGR and bought one, only to find that I liked riding the ST better. It was just a better fit for me. However, I think the Trophy is much more similar to the ST13 than the FJR is/was. The Trophy has similar weight, ergonomics, power, wind protection. All with modern electronics that the ST sorely lacks so it is very tempting for me. I might have to go ride one to see how it feels.

I'll be watching this thread with interest to see if there are any ST-owners (don't forget the dash!) that have ridden or own(ed) one!

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Hi All,

Looking at used Sport Tourers and narrowed things down to ST1300, Triumph Trophy and (possibly) BMW K/R series. Can anyone out there tell me what they think/know of the ST1300 versus Trophy SE long term? Comfort, ride, reliability, maintenance?

I have a feeling the ST1300 is going to be low maintenance. If anyone has anything to share what they know about 2014+ Trophys let me know. Trying to avoid 2013s.

I have a CTX700 now and selling for an upgrade in size and carrying capacity.
Best advise is to drive the Sprint last. I picked up an 07 Sprint 1050 last year, the 3 cylinder Triumphs are a pure joy with a broad flexible powerband with a 6 speed tranny the engine loves to be exercised throughout its powerband. I am going to be lookin at the newer Trophy and Tigers myself, let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I have a 2015 Tiger 800XCX. That bike is so much fun to ride! If you have rode a triple you need to try one. Might make you smile a lot.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
My boss rides a Sprint, older one, early 2000's maybe. Nice bike, but it has proven difficult to get parts for, and they aren't cheap. I don't know what parts availability is like for newer triumphs but you might consider that.

RT

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I've never owned either bike, but I did sit on a Triumph once so that makes me an expert. ;)

My only comment is that the Honda ST's are rock solid and will not fail. The Triumph has a lot of electronics...which may fail someday and cost lots to fix.

For me, the bottom line is which bike performs best for what I want it for. The electronics are eye-candy only.

Chris

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
I have a 2015 Tiger 800XCX. That bike is so much fun to ride! If you have rode a triple you need to try one. Might make you smile a lot.
2017 here and it’s always a hoot - love taking it off road on logging and moderate trails. Damn too heavy if you drop it

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Try to get a ride on both and get the one you like best. I love my Triumph (Tiger) and Honda (Goldwing). Can't say one is any better than the other. As far as electronics I believe my Triumph has Keihin electronics and fuel injection. Seems like some other brands use that too. :think1:

Top Bottom