ST1300 vs FJR1300

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
My ST1100... I love it. Always have. Fits perfect, smooth, reliable, etc, etc.
My FJR1300... more power, less weight, better frame geometry, fits perfect
The ST1300... I never met one I liked... it just didn't fit. Perfect for others and a monster mile-eater for sure. It just didn't fit me.

So... go ride them. You may be surprised at the things you notice during a comparison.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
If you are tempted to test ride a particular bike, I will say that it can take some time to "get used" to it. When I switched from my ST1300 to my FJR1300, it felt very odd during the first week. I basically felt like I was sitting on top of the FJR, while I felt more integrated - like sitting inside the ST. That feeling went away eventually - and I didn't test ride my FJR to see if it fit me. I only test rode it to ensure everything was in working order. Same with cars: once I decide on a model I never test drive it as you can't really tell until you've owned it for a while anyway.

I own a ST 1300 and a Kawasaki Concours which is at each end of the sport-touring class.
I rode my Connie from Washington to the Tail of the Dragon , wished strongly for the St to get there and had a great time on the Kawasaki when I was.
The FJR is kinda between those two isn't it? I did get great mileage on the Concours. Better than the ST would have, only because of the gearing difference.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The original Connie was a perennial "sport tourer", and is still kind of a grandfather to those that followed.
S-T in this instance is loosely based on a large displacement ride with factory luggage, capable of handling twisty roads with varying degrees of "sport" as well as long distances.
Many bikes have been ridden for long miles, but not so many with factory hard bags, when the Concourse was introduced.
That one and the KLR remain as the underdogs of their class, when compared to more modern and updated machinery, yet both have a deserved reputation for inflating reliability throughout the years and the miles.
And still somehow, I've never owned a Kawasaki.

The Concours that I ride is a 2015 and antiquated it is not, its relation to the original Concours is mostly in name, traction control, anti-lock brakes, dashboard electronics is quite advanced as well. Heated grips and a smooth ride at about 140 plus MPH ( that is what the GPS said before I quit looking down and was in the Midwest without a soul in sight). It runs the newer engine with self adjusting cams and does get you into trouble fast. You will have to take my word for it, it is a whole lot faster than the ST, although I am probably not capable of reaching its limits.
The KLR is way out of date, Kawasaki's first attempt at ant-lock brakes, could use more power, but you can't hurt it, I have tried or think I have, I got mine cheap and although I got it cheap because it had a lot of miles and was repainted with a rattle-can, it had the suspension and engine updates installed. Ugly but maintained well

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’m very old school (I guess)- I have ridden all 3 (but the ST13 is a 2004, the FJR was a 2007- a rental in Colorado years ago)- liked all 3- my ST11 still works for me despite being way outdated. I’ll likely never give it up. People will disagree with me I’m sure, but the height adjustable windshield was really never that big of a deal breaker for me.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I have to smile a little when I hear folks talk about "lack of power" on the ST1300.
Having owned a CBR1100XX, a CBR600, and later a KTM 950, I feel I have experienced "power." I've never found my 1300 "down on power", but as Chuck, Joe and others have already stated... ride and buy what moves ya.
The ST moves me quickly through traffic when I've the need, I don't do any "mine's bigger than yours" comparos from traffic lights or on the highway with bikes or with cars.
As @STRider mentions, virtually any option we lack can be added, whether cruise, heated grips or seat, adjustable shocks, etc., with the exception of the electronics like traction control and ride modes, but I can use my right wrist for those. The low price point for entry into the 1300 world (moreso the 1100) leaves plenty of change left over for add-ons.
Perhaps I'm too easy, but I've never felt the need for bar risers on any bike I've owned, or peg lowering gizmos, but I'll admit some highway pegs would be nice on occasion, yet I've ridden all my life without them, too.
I don't usually bash other bikes (with the exception of Harley, but heck, everyone does, just because we can), so I've nothing against the Yamaha offerings. The FJR has proven itself through the years.
But I'll agree Honda did themselves and the riding community a grave disservice by not updating, and then discontinuing the ST lineup, with no similar replacement for our riding styles and preferences.
I hear you on that lack of power thing. My 1100 joyfully keeps up with my 1900cc Harley Davidson CVO V twin friends. What baffles me is how slow they go on on ramps and off ramps. I damn near run into the back of them as they chop the throttle and hit the brakes hard for those curves. ST 1100 makes those curves with ease....And I am a 69 year old senior rider:)

You are entirely correct about horse power comparisons not important. I was completely comfortable with my ST and ZRX. The reason I got a Kawaski Concours is because it was a 2 year old bike with 2 miles on it, and I am sure there was a bit..... OK a lot of ego involved, but ultimately it comes down to " I wanna"
It is not the horse power that matters most, it is what you do with the horse power you have.
But every time I twist the throttle- I smile, The ST definitely is more than enough to hustle around and would have been fine if the Connie wasn't shown to me. Then the young side of my brain kicked in, made me drool, made self-preservation go away and of course mine needed to be longer than it actually is. It is still fun to ride though. Every once in a while I notice that the back tire is a little out of place when I pick it up exiting a corner. Big Woody and I am only 68.
I may still be a kid and have yet to toss a leg over a bike that is not better than me.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I used to ride my ST1100 on long road trips with my friend on his FJ1200. I definitely preferred my ST as it was way more practical for long trips through Europe. However, I found the extra 25 HP the FJ offered to be a lot of fun when we would sometime swap bikes on smaller day trips. When I later bought my first ST1300 I figured that I would get that missing thrill when accelerating wildly. It was definitely faster than my ST1100, but still not crazy ass fast. The FJR brings that 0-60 thrill to the table IMO - a completely different bike compared to the FJ (it had no luggage and it was a chain drive), and totally on par with the ST for touring.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
You 3 old guys make me feel so young at 66. And is it just me or do all 3 of them look alike?

Great avatar pics guys. You old guys need some help with some real pics let me know.

3amigos.jpg

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
You are entirely correct about horse power comparisons not important. I was completely comfortable with my ST and ZRX. The reason I got a ..... ultimately it comes down to " I wanna".....
It is not the horse power that matters most, it is what you do with the horse power you have.
Talking horsepower is funny because I know people who say a CBR 250 with 40 hp has "plenty of power, and all you really need". Guys on the NC forum say the same thing about the 58 hp NC. On the CB 1100 forum the 85 horsepower CB 1100 has "all you need" too and I imagine those on a VFR 800 at 104 hp would say the same about their bikes. WE say it on the 125 hp ST and they say it on the 145 hp FJR and probably on the 170 HP Ducati forums. But if 40 is "plenty of power and all you really need", why do people buy bikes with 170?

Is there a figure that's truly ENOUGH?

Can you have TOO MUCH?

I can tell you from owning an FZ-1 and ST 1300 and an FJR that although adequate, and able to keep up with traffic, my 58 hp NC could certainly use more power "for me". The CB 1100 is getting pretty close to ideal "for me", and for me I think the sweet spot would be about 100 horsies and 75 lb ft of torque. I think that would deliver a very satisfying ride. A lot of riders would scoff at that statement. "Only 100 hp? My... you name it... back it 1983 made more power than that, 40 years ago.

Horsepower...fun subject.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
My '96 Nighthawk 750 used to have all the power I'd ever need.

Then I rode the ST1100.
Great point. I can say the same. My V45 Sabre had all the power anyone needed... then I bought the ST1300.
(but I still think that a 750cc bike is the sweet spot)

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
It all comes down to Power to weight ratio. And what type of riding one wants to do that day. Some days my little X300 with its 38 horsepower and it 381.5 pounds plus my 230 pounds is enough to get me into trouble in the tight twisties and give me lots of smiles. Other days I wish my FJR had more HP.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Had both. First an 06 FJR which I kept for just one year.
It was so fast and had an amazing suspension which disguised the speed making me think I was going a lot slower than I really was, until I would check the speedometer (yowza!)
Needless to say I was in fear of losing my license which as a commercial driver I need to make a living.
Fast forward 2 years and now have an 04 ST which not only is more manageable (see previous member comment re civilized) but is more comfortable for my body size than the FJR was.
The stock seat is also more comfortable than the brick that came with the FJR.
And I also feel like I’m sitting in it rather than on it.
There’s a flavour for everyone.
Pick whichever tastes better to you.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
My old FJR was ridden for many thousands of miles across Europe for many years and thought it was time for something new in 2014 so I traded her in for the brand new Triumph Trophy SE in photos below, did a test ride on the Kwak GTR 1400 but that felt bland.
I now wish I'd gone for the Pan Euro instead of the Trophy SE which turned out to be the worst bike I'd ever owned :eek: Many lads in the USA also agreed - maybe that's why the Trophy SE was discontinued after just a few years.
Hell, I wish Honda made another new one...

FJR&TTSE2.jpg

FJR&TTSE3.jpg

DSCN0071 (3).JPG

When I drive without a top case, there is hardly any instability behind a truck. I drive with Dunlop roadsmart 4, I haven't driven a Metzler Z8 yet. I have a Wilbers chassis with Nivomat and shorter fork springs (15mm), Mr. Wilbers said that a Pan ST1300 has to go down at the front.

You 3 old guys make me feel so young at 66. And is it just me or do all 3 of them look alike?

Great avatar pics guys. You old guys need some help with some real pics let me know.

3amigos.jpg
Damn kids. Always one up for old farts not knowing how to use this new fangle stuff

Top Bottom