ST1300 vs Goldwing

Anyone have both? Or experience on both? How do they two compare in comfort, handling, weather protection, airflow?

I have a Goldwing and a CB750 Nighthawk. Lately I've been riding the Nighthawk because of the wonderful airflow in this hot weather :) The GW is starting to feel like a luxury car: big, heavy, and comfortable....and of course on a 90 degree, 80% humidity afternoon, the GW has too much protection from the breeze.

Most of the riding I do is on curvy back country roads. The Nighthawk seems much more responsive.

I'm starting to wonder if I should trade the GW on a sport/touring bike.

Comparisons and comments welcome.

thanks,

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I’ve had 2 ST1300’s (2008 & 2003), and 3 Goldwing’s (2010, 2016, 2018)…

ST was awesome all around… got kinda toasty at slow speeds on hot days (in traffic)… similar issue with the older Goldwing.

Absolutely love the 2018 Wing… better airflow and handles great.

Last edited:

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
When the Honda engineers were putting together the ideas for the 18 plus Goldwing, the ST1300 was definitely their go-to bike. With that said the new Goldwing got electric windshield, smaller size, much heftier motor, ergonomics that were very comfortable and really too many to list. I do have to mention that it gets amazing mileage for an $833 lb motorcycle for the Goldwing Tour. That is I am averaging over 51 miles to the gallon after 50,000 miles. I had an ST1300 2004 for 14 years and 130,000 Plus miles. The ST1300 is considerably more top-heavy than the Goldwing, obviously a V4 versus a flat six boxer. The center of gravity is several inches lower with the Goldwing. With that said the handling of the Goldwing is really quite incredible for a bike its size, better so for me than the ST1300. You would have to make your own decision on that. The ST1300 is quicker, the specs reveal a 11.30 quarter mile spec and the Goldwing manual transmission does 11.95 in the quarter mile. I have a video of this to verify it. Basically what you get with the Goldwing is a highly refined ST1300. Go to a dealer and take one for a test ride. I think you'll be surprised.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I've ridden both an ST1300 and a GL1800 and owned a 2007 ST1300 for six years and 50,000 km (about 30,000 miles). They are both superb - well-built with beautiful fairings, well-designed luggage and other features and have dead-nuts reliable electrics and powertrains - in the Honda tradition. I was certainly never too cold on my ST1300 but I did find it heavy (although the weight magically disappears once you are moving - even at a walking pace) - until I rode my buddy's Gold Wing.

Now THAT is a heavy machine (around 150-180 lbs more than the ST1300) and I found the GL1800 very toasty on a hot day due to the much larger fairing and windscreen.

Aside from the weight, (but related to it) is that the ST1300 can be a handful in a parking lot if you have to back up. It is top-heavy - especially with a full 29.7 litres of fuel which weighs about 53 lbs, it is pretty tall and does not have reverse. I am about 6' tall with fairly long legs and yet several times I found that I needed a buddy to push me back out of a parking spot. The GL with its reverse drive would have been really nice - oh, and a 6-speed transmission.

Otherwise, I'd pick the ST1300 every time....until I bought a 1983 BMW R100RS which I call "Gretel".
BMW_Honda - top box LS front view.jpg

The 40-year-old Bimmer does not have linked brakes or ABS, nor does it have EFI - but like the Hondas, it is beautifully built with a fairing that keeps me dry, but not too hot, it is dead-nuts reliable, will do high-speed runs all day, the ergonomics fits me fine, all parts are readily available and it gets about 60 mpg (Imperial), plus it weighs over 200 lbs LESS than the ST1300 and about 300-350 lbs less than a Gold Wing (and is about half the weight of a big H-D) - so backing up is not a problem.

All that, and it has only two of everything (cylinders, valves-per-cylinder, carbs, etc.), it is air cooled so no radiator, thermostat, fans, hoses, or coolant, and it is about as complex as a big lawnmower so I can easily service it myself. In fact, you could sit on your bum beside the road and do a complete top-end job with normal hand tools.

NOTE: the same things cannot be said about "modern" BMWs which seem to suffer from all sorts of electrical and mechanical ailments and require three degrees in engineering to repair.

Don't get me wrong - the newer Bimmers are lovely bikes but the financial outlay to buy one and keep it on the road simply doesn't make sense to me for what is essentially a toy that I can only use about 7-8 months per year. IMO, the BMW company has utterly lost the notion of simple effective design that was embodied in the R-class bikes which are often referred to as "AirHeads" due to their air-cooled engines. I guess that is what it takes to compete today - but that level of cost and complication, not to mention warranty hassles isn't for me.

BTW - I paid less for my BMW than my Gold Wing buddy had paid in sales taxes for his GL1800.
BMW_R100RS_Bagster-2.jpg

The only thing I don't like about the BMW is it's idiotically hard to deploy and fragile OEM sidestand - but like most "AirHead" owners I have bought an aftermarket Brown's Stand which, although it looks like a heavy Harley part, is robust, reliable, and very easy to use.

Pete

Last edited:

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
@Tankereng and @Gug stated it quite well. I had two different 2004 ST1300's, then a 2012 Super Tenere, R1200RT, 2009 Goldwing and now my 2018 GW Tour DCT. The 2018 Goldwing is the best of the bunch (R1200RT is a very close second except for the DCT).
You don't state what year of Goldwing you have. My 2018 is far better than the 2009 I had, except for luggage space.

Had a run in with a brand spanking new Goldwing rider. Went up to the Peißenberg, pulled up on the parking and as I dismounted this GW bubbled up beside me. I said "Hi!" no reply, I said hi again and was not even acknowledged, guy looked at my scrappy 11, turned around and went his haughty way.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Had a run in with a brand spanking new Goldwing rider. Went up to the Peißenberg, pulled up on the parking and as I dismounted this GW bubbled up beside me. I said "Hi!" no reply, I said hi again and was not even acknowledged, guy looked at my scrappy 11, turned around and went his haughty way.
Oh - I say old boy - do wash your motorcycle......

1703624455340.png

Bike
2000 ST1100
Test rode both. ST 1300 was smooth and great. Latest Goldwing great and smoother. The ticket here is if you gonna do 500 plus miles regularly the flat 6 motor is the highway king no doubt about it.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
I have owned a few ST 1300's, a couple R1200RT's and now ride a 2018 GW DCT Touring. With the exception of the lack of storage, terrible GPS system and somewhat small fuel tank...The GW is the best motorcycle I've ridden.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
This is an alternate thought (and, by the way, I would LOVE a new GW but I like my bikes and I’m cheap!). You have the best of both worlds (the big tour bike, assuming it’s a pre-2018 model, and a tossable 750, even if old). Unless you feel you really desire a new bike, keep what you have and use them for the appropriate purpose(s). I bought my Silverwing on a whim (was supposed to be the wife’s bike, but she decided she didn’t want to ride AFTER I bought it)- big, comfy, and twist and go scooter vs the ST1100 which is a much quicker bike but heavier. I cycle through them and use them all pretty regularly, plus, I have multiple windshields, so if it’s the middle of the summer and hot, I can put a short shield on the 1100 for better airflow.

I love the STs (and the SWing)…if I could go back in time, I would have kept my Nighthawk as well.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Over here the default Beemer rider behavior...
Then I'd GW riders chatting me up to no end... my ST way over 100,000km on the clock, his GL like 1,500km... ;)

Dunno about the GL though...
Over here just too much, can't filter, can't park, won't even fit the spot in my basement garage... way too expensive, way too overloaded with gimmicks, too complicated, not service friendly...
Yep, did test-rode a GL1800, like the engine character (throttle response like the 1100 so IMO way better then the 1300), didn't like the obstructed view though, like piloting an oil-tanker...

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
Owned an ST1300 and have ridden the newer Wings quite a bit. Thought I wanted to own one. The new Wing in my opinion is 10X more complex than it needs to be and while it handles well I feel like the bike is taking me for a ride instead of me riding the bike. This may sound crazy but I was much more impressed with the NC750X and thoroughly enjoyed riding it.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
In Sept 2008, I started riding on a new 2008 ST-1300 and rode it for 60,000 miles over 7 years. Love the bike. It is quick and flicks from side to side very well. With a RDL seat I have done 600-900 mile rides in a day, easily. When Honda stopped making them I decided I needed to find a new bike before the parts and servicing situation became a problem. While I did a lot of work on my ST, including installing cruise control, I didn't really feel comfortable tacking any of the bigger maintenance tasks.

In May 2015, I bought a 2001 Goldwing and rode that for 50,000 miles over 5 years. It is a great Interstate cruiser and I rode it from KY to Washington State, Utah, Arizona, etc. over those 5 years. It can corner really well but is not really flickable like the ST. Then Honda stopped making this model Goldwing.

In Sept 2020, I bought a 2018 Gold Wing Tour. In my opinion, this is the best compromise between a ST-1300 and a Goldwing. It handles almost as light as the ST and has the Goldwing boxer 6 cylinder so the CG is low. My biggest complaint about the ST was the top-heaviness of the bike when stopped. The GW doesn't have this problem. The new GWT also has all the comfort features we usually add to the ST: top-box, cruise control, heated grips, heated seat. It has the electric windshield like the ST and the electronics are updated to a modern instrument package. The ST is a bit dated in this area. I really think the new style GWT or GW is a great replacement for the ST, but the ST still probably beats it in handling and quickness (unless you run the GW in "Sport" mode a lot!).

Part of me wishes I still had my 2008 ST-1300, even if it was for occasional use. But after riding it 3 times the first year after buying the 2001 GW, and only 2 times the second year, I decided it was time to let someone else enjoy the bike.

My vote, if you want to stay current in the technology and maintenance / parts availability, go for the new Gold Wing. Also creature comforts are better on the new Gold Wing. If you can take care of the bike yourself and can source parts from alternate sources, the ST-1300 is hard to beat. It does so many of the important things better than the Goldwing.

JohnConner
:bluegw::usflag1:

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
The 2018 and newer Goldwing is the finest motorcycle money can buy. That's assuming you want to do a fair bit of longer distance riding. Although there's no problem going to the corner store for a couple of things, you may want to reconsider if your moonshine supplier is located way out on a muddy mountain road. (there is a muddy mountain road near the WoodSToc 2024 venue, btw). The perfect stable might well consist of a Wing, plus a dual-purpose bike able to keep up with traffic, but light enough to explore sand and gravel. Yes, you can do better than having just a one-trick pony!

STOC #
The 2018 and newer Goldwing is the finest motorcycle money can buy. That's assuming you want to do a fair bit of longer distance riding. Although there's no problem going to the corner store for a couple of things, you may want to reconsider if your moonshine supplier is located way out on a muddy mountain road. (there is a muddy mountain road near the WoodSToc 2024 venue, btw). The perfect stable might well consist of a Wing, plus a dual-purpose bike able to keep up with traffic, but light enough to explore sand and gravel. Yes, you can do better than having just a one-trick pony!
Wanted a r1200rt or r1250rt this past summer till I rode 2 different ones at 120kph +. Buffeting and vibes were Terrible. So tried 2018+ wings. Standard manual and tour dct. Most uncomfortable bikes ever. Back legs etc all cramped and hurt. Noisiest wings I’ve ever ridden. Didn’t like the exhaust note/noise They did handle nicely. My ST13 is better at wind management too. Might keep my ST and add second smaller bike.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Well- yesterday I bought a 2019 GL1800 DCT (non tour) with @ 8000 miles on it for $16,000. I got rid of my ST1300 due to injuries and having a difficult time holding the EXTREMELY top heavy problem. This new Goldwing is a bit heavier but it feels so light, and that reverse ahhhhh!
When I take a long trip soon here in the south (perhaps Big Bend TX) I’ll let y’all know more about what I feel.
IMG_0237.jpeg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well- yesterday I bought a 2019 GL1800 DCT (non tour) with @ 8000 miles on it for $16,000. I got rid of my ST1300 due to injuries and having a difficult time holding the EXTREMELY top heavy problem. This new Goldwing is a bit heavier but it feels so light, and that reverse ahhhhh!
When I take a long trip soon here in the south (perhaps Big Bend TX) I’ll let y’all know more about what I feel.
IMG_0237.jpeg
Nice, that would be the setup I'd get so I could put a top box of my choosing on.

I have missed reverse on my post goldwing bikes. The RT is awesome for my current riding but I'll never completely remove a wing from my future bike purchasing decisions. I may go for a 2nd lighter bike like the Tracer or F900XR just to have a lighter option for shorter or summer riding.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I'm sure the new Goldwing is a great bike and a worthy replacement for the ST, but even if you can afford it, it's hard to justify spending the 25 - 30k asking price. I guess they've been around long enough now to start seeing them used which does change the equation significantly.

Top Bottom