ST1800 Riders (New Wingers)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Can any Riders of the New Wing confirm the Wing's connector for a phone is a female USB Type-A? If not then what? USB 1?? The printer type connector?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Owner's manual says,
You can connect your iPhone/iPod/USB device using a certified cable to the USB connector or connect a USB flash drive, etc.
o the USB connector directly. Make sure to use the factory USB cable that came with your device.
It supports USB 2.0 and 3.0 flash drives.

Flash drives are commonly USB A.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I know flash drives are commonly Type A. I've got a bucket of them. Some are USB-C. Some are a combo of Type A and USB-C.

I'm not asking about flash drives. This is a specific question about what connector Honda used in the new GoldWing (2018 on) to connect phones in the cubby. I'm hoping it's Type A but won't know that unless I actually see the connector or somebody who has actual knowledge of it can advise.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Looking at the manual, I'd be very surprised if it was anything other than a run-of-the-mill USB Type-A connector. The USB Type-C connector is gaining acceptance but is still pretty niche, and certainly wouldn't be used in an application intended for broad compatibility across a wide range of customer hardware - read: smartphones. The connector in the drawings suggest Type-A connector.

1650338759131.png

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
It’s USB type A in the front cubby, unless you have an airbag model, then it’s in the trunk. They’re an optional USB cable to go in the left pannier that will accept flash drives for music, or available for charging, but not data transfer.

Or, you can Bluetooth the phone to the bike if you don’t want to run Apple CarPlay or Android Auto apps on your phone. CarPlay or AA both require a Bluetooth headset to function on the bike.

John

Bike
2010 ST1300
I know flash drives are commonly Type A. I've got a bucket of them. Some are USB-C. Some are a combo of Type A and USB-C.

I'm not asking about flash drives. This is a specific question about what connector Honda used in the new GoldWing (2018 on) to connect phones in the cubby. I'm hoping it's Type A but won't know that unless I actually see the connector or somebody who has actual knowledge of it can advise.
I'm sorry I tried to help. I quoted what's in the Owner's Manual. Perhaps you should complain to Honda for not being more specific in their specifications of what's on the bike. Or maybe you are overthinking this.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Thanks for that. I may need to order a cable for someone and it helps to get it right the first time.
I suggest buying a 6” cable to eliminate a coil of wire in the cubby. Amazon has 6” Apple Lightning cables and Android micro USB cables.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I suggest buying a 6” cable to eliminate a coil of wire in the cubby. Amazon has 6” Apple Lightning cables and Android micro USB cables.
That's exactly why I asked about the type of connector. :D Thanks again!

Top Bottom