Staying Dry

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Recently picked up the new Mondial from Oxford, thanks( @Upt' North ) Ray. It is nice, comfortable, and sized very strange, think 2 sizes up from normal. Waterproof it is, save the neckline. Was looking for a collar to fit slightly under the helmet and over the collar. Klim has one, anyone tried it? Has anyone silicone sprayed some other type of neck gaiter to solve a similar issue? 99% water proof just doesn't cut it.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
My Tourmaster Epic jacket had a hood built into the collar, that you could roll out and wear under your helmet to prevent water from running down your back. I just looked, and my Frog Toggs jacket has the same feature.

John

TPadden

Tom Padden
Was looking for a collar to fit slightly under the helmet and over the collar. Klim has one, anyone tried it?
Klim Forecast Gore-Tex over jacket will keep a dry collar and not allow back drip. I have used one for 3 years, fits comfortably over mesh or riding jacket. Not cheap, $250, but can be found occasionally on sale for less than $200.

Tom

Bike
VStrom 650
Recently picked up the new Mondial from Oxford, thanks( @Upt' North ) Ray. It is nice, comfortable, and sized very strange, think 2 sizes up from normal. Waterproof it is, save the neckline. Was looking for a collar to fit slightly under the helmet and over the collar. Klim has one, anyone tried it? Has anyone silicone sprayed some other type of neck gaiter to solve a similar issue? 99% water proof just doesn't cut it.
Ay up fella, you've obviously given it a good trial, or stood next to your garden sprinkler. Or both.
Mine is yet to see a lot of water, but it gets comfier with each ride.
Have you found the material as described. That is it doesn't soak up the wet.
Upt'North.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I carry a green, two-piece non-motorcycle-specific rain suit, but I never intentionally ride in the rain.

I either won't go out if rain is expected, or I'll stop if at all possible. It's just not fun enough to bother.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I spent many rides being wet before I learned from experience that a non motorcycle rain suit won't keep you dry on a motorcycle. They are designed for rain coming from above and running downward over them. They don't do well handling water coming from the directions it comes from on a motorcycle.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Ay up fella, you've obviously given it a good trial, or stood next to your garden sprinkler. Or both.
Mine is yet to see a lot of water, but it gets comfier with each ride.
Have you found the material as described. That is it doesn't soak up the wet.
Upt'North.
Yes, the kit stays dry, all the way through. I paired it with gortex gloves and only had issues at the collar. 3-4 hours of heavy to drizzle, no issues. It is definitely a commuter, rather than a touring, set up. It's tight and sticky in the heat, pads are minimal. Going to be a great spring, fall, local wet kit. I also noticed it was getting more comfortable over time.

Bike
VStrom 650
Yes, the kit stays dry, all the way through. I paired it with gortex gloves and only had issues at the collar. 3-4 hours of heavy to drizzle, no issues. It is definitely a commuter, rather than a touring, set up. It's tight and sticky in the heat, pads are minimal. Going to be a great spring, fall, local wet kit. I also noticed it was getting more comfortable over time.
Ay up fella.
Just a further report on the coat. Just been to Spain and Portugal on the BeaST and this was my jacket of choice for the trip. We rode in torrential rain on many occasions for prolonged periods and often at highway speeds. I'm talking 2 to 3 hours in heavy rain at 80 to 90 mph.
We also did some hot weather journeys at around 100 F and again sometimes at highway speeds but also city centres in heavy traffic.
The fabric is a marvel, I'm just glad I thought about buying a new coat it's a revelation, 3 hours of torrential rain, give it a shake and hang it up. Magic. I take your point about the collar but mine was only damp at worst.
The vents also did a very good job considering the heat and conditions, it's certainly the best vented waterproof coat I've ever owned. You think the vents on the front might leak too, but no, bone dry.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom