Sticky front brake.

Bike
1991 st1100
Just fixed my sticky front brake on my 91. I had previously cleaned and lubed the sliders to try and solve a long running problem with a sticky front left brake but this made little if any difference. This was eventually corrected by cleaning the pad retaining pin and lubing it with copper grease. It's pretty good being able to set off on a ride without having to give the calliper a good tap and also to be able to put it on the centre stand without giving myself a bloody hernia without resorting to the hammer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
When you think about it the spring sort of forces the pads against the pin so any roughness has to stop free movement of the pads. I noticed a little notchiness on the pin shaft so I have a new one on order. I am in Northallerton but have the grand kids most Sundays so weekend riding is limited. I'd love a ride out but the kids (and her indoors) would give me hell.

Cheers

Martin

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I consider replacing the brake pad retainer pins normal maintenance. I don't put anything on the exposed part that might collect road dirt/grime, and clean them regularly. Anti-seize on the threads of course. FWIW

John

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I consider replacing the brake pad retainer pins normal maintenance. I don't put anything on the exposed part that might collect road dirt/grime, and clean them regularly. Anti-seize on the threads of course.
+1... while I put a slight smear of copper-paste on the exposed areas of those pins for corrosion protection... When the caliper pistons get hard to push back/in, I consider a full overhaul. Often are the 'square-rings' already swollen, dirtied up or even frayed from the corrosion/build-ups on the brake pistons. Also crystals growing in the grooves will drive the rings out, obstruct piston movement. So the calipers get knocked apart (pistons driven out with compressed air), see a soak in car wheel cleaner (only products approved for aluminum) with careful rinse and blowing dry afterwards, mentioned groove cleaned with a dental pick (or a self made tool, cloth hanger wire fits exactly), new rings (lubed with dedicated brake assembly paste), pistons either carefully cleaned or, when already showing signs of pitting, simply replaced. The stoppers will not only work brilliantly afterwards, it also makes the next brake pad replacement oh so easy... ;)

Top Bottom