Stock fork-spring rate compared to Progressive

Yes I’m aware that the oem springs are progressive, but the only resource I can find is the spring rate is .61 kg/mm. Is that the initial value or the final value? Progressive suspension, the brand, lists their replacement for spring for the 1100 as being .63/.89 kg/mm initial/final.

I guess more to the point would be has anyone installing the Progressive springs found them stiffer or softer than the oem springs?

I am spring shopping, because I definitely need a slightly higher fork-spring rate than OEM to match my new heavy duty rear shock.

Mucho gracias.

Racetech..too soft for me. Now have Progressive fork springs..more to my liking.. Progressive 465 rear shock.

Funny thing is, the PR4GT new tires make the suspension work better than ever.!!!!20190920_181548.jpg20190922_052154.jpg

Found a open-box set on Amazon, of all places. $67, free shipping.

New antidive piston and o-rings on order as well, I've always suspected the system is broken on my bike. Caliper is free, but forks dive badly and make a strange (rude) sound over bumps when hard on the brakes, as if fluid is slipping past the piston.

Doesn't really matter what springs are installed. But, you do need good seals and tubes and bushings.

OK, got the springs and they were brand new in the box, the packaging was just damaged. Amazon warehouse deals sometimes come good!

I’m 265 pounds, so for sure the factory for springs were too light.

And originally, I had cut new preload spacers, about as long as I could get and still get the caps on, the spacer under the retaining clip on the cartridge leg being a total nightmare and a knuckle buster. This helped, however there was a lot of pitching in the front end during acceleration, and huge break dive. To be expected with too light of a spring rate.

I set the progressives up according to the recommended spacer length, adding a quarter inch because I figured I was a little heavier than expected. Also changed the fork oil and raised the oil level by 30 mm or so. I have 51mm total sag, still more than I’d like but the ride is very nice, the brake dive is less, and the front end is more poised when coming on and off the throttle.

If I paid full price, I think having more sag than I expected would bother me but as cheap as the upgrade was I’m satisfied.

Top Bottom