Suggested high-temp paint for calipers?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
G'Day,

I'm in the process of refurbing a used full caliper set (to keep as spares in storage), corroded and blistered they're in need of some soda-blasting and a layer of fresh paint...

Front silver metallic, rear black of course...

I was thinking Auprotherm 650 and oven-curing at 250°C, but am not sure if this will meet the OEM appearance...

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Any high temperature paint should work, calipers likely don't get that hot.... a 500 degree paint should suffice.
Google caliper paint... Duplicolor makes a kit, or could use VHT. I've used the latter on exhaust headers, works fine.

Bike
VStrom 650
G'Day. I really don't think you need a high temp paint. Those calipers really won't get that hot IMO. The rear will probably get warmer out of the airflow but it'll still be OK with normal paint.
Last winter the rear drums on Er'Indoors motor were looking very used, I was sure I had some High Temp paint in the garage, turned out I didn't. The normal cheapo black enamel spray paint, probably from Aldi, is still looking good.
Upt'North.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Any high temperature paint should work, calipers likely don't get that hot.... a 500 degree paint should suffice.
Google caliper paint... Duplicolor makes a kit, or could use VHT. I've used the latter on exhaust headers, works fine.
I've used both caliper paint and wheel paint. Both are durable. Bead blast, clean with lacquer thinner, prime with compatible primer and paint. Seems to last a long time.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I really don't think you need a high temp paint. Those calipers really won't get that hot IMO. The rear will probably get warmer out of the airflow but it'll still be OK with normal paint.
+1 I don't know if it's a inappropriate application but I think a gloss powdercoat would really look great on calipers.

I've seen some merely painted calipers on bikes and cars - usually in garish colors. Of the cars I've seen with calipers color matched to the body color only yellow seemed to look right. All other color combos just looked wrong to me.

Basic silver and black give them a clean but ho-um appearance. Not a big deal as they don't really play a role in aesthetic design - all function little form. But if possible a glossy black powercoat front and back would look sharp. IMNSHO. :D

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
+1 I don't know if it's a inappropriate application but I think a gloss powdercoat would really look great on calipers.
Dunno about resistance against brake fluid...

And I'm under the impression that Honda used 3 layers: primer, silver metallic base, clear lacquer top coat...
(same got used on their air-cooled engine cases, cylinders and silver fork bottoms...)

Top Bottom