Suggestions for a small 110v compressor

I have a bigger compressor and I also have this just for airing up tires. Mine is 17 years old and still airing up tires. It is just plain 110V... the one out now has more features.

Bike
ST1300
got one at harbor freight for $69.00 and if you pay another $20.00 you can replace it in 2 yrs for free, bought the little 3 gallon one. does great for truck and car

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I looked through that list and eBay within 50 miles. In my budget there were few options at all, and all are way too big for the space I have available in my garage. There was a Rigid model that might have worked but it's bigger in every dimension and much heavier than the one I went for, plus it didn't have a hose or any fittings and I'd have to drive an hour each way to get it. I think the Campbell Hausfeld I went with will do the trick.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Yes on both counts. Mine's pretty accurate, has the perfect chuck for motorcycle wheels and should last a lifetime 'cause it's built like a tank.

--Mr. Blrfl Sir
Posted via Mobile Device

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yes on both counts. Mine's pretty accurate, has the perfect chuck for motorcycle wheels and should last a lifetime 'cause it's built like a tank.

--Mr. Blrfl Sir
Posted via Mobile Device
Does this in-line gauge clamp onto the valve stem or is it like the service station model that only reads while you're pushing it on the valve stem?

Shuey

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If you've used one of these at a service station, it's probably a Milton. You can get them in a dozen or two different combinations of gauge type, hose length and chuck type, including the grippy kind: CLICKY

All of the parts are removable, so if you don't like their chuck, you can always screw on one you do.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have a Craftsman 3.5hp 15 gal one similar to this:

If I had to do it again, I would get a vertical one to save garage floor space.

Also, I have an air tank that I air up to about 100psi and leave in the garage for quick air... that way I don't turn on the compressor at 5 am if I need to add some air to the tires before heading out:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Joe,

OK, I'm a little confused. I kind of had it in mind that the 15gal Craftsman was something that you ran the compressor and it charged up the 15 gal tank and then you turned off the compressor and the tank would hold the pressure until it was drawn out.

. . . but, it sounds like you use the Craftsman to pressurize the separate air tank, then use that to fill tires when you don't want to run the pump.

Confused as usual on my learn'in curve,
Shuey

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe,

OK, I'm a little confused. I kind of had it in mind that the 15gal Craftsman was something that you ran the compressor and it charged up the 15 gal tank and then you turned off the compressor and the tank would hold the pressure until it was drawn out.

. . . but, it sounds like you use the Craftsman to pressurize the separate air tank, then use that to fill tires when you don't want to run the pump.

Confused as usual on my learn'in curve,
Shuey
Yes, I typically let the air out of the compressor when I'm done with it and drain any fluid inside via the bottom drain.

I always air up the separate portable tank as it's just very convenient to walk it around and air up the bike or car tires quickly and it's always sitting there full of air.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yes, I typically let the air out of the compressor when I'm done with it and drain any fluid inside via the bottom drain.

I always air up the separate portable tank as it's just very convenient to walk it around and air up the bike or car tires quickly and it's always sitting there full of air.
but . . . if I only get the compressor with it's integral tank, can I pressurize it, turn it off and use it like you do the separate air tank until it gets low on pressure?

That's the crux of my confusion. Why two tanks?
Shuey

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
but . . . if I only get the compressor with it's integral tank, can I pressurize it, turn it off and use it like you do the separate air tank until it gets low on pressure?

That's the crux of my confusion. Why two tanks?
Shuey
Yes, it should be fine.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My compressor arrived, works great. It even showed up with a blow gun kit that wasn't in the "in the box" description.

Question: Is it any big deal leaving compressed air in the tank? The biggest cost involved in compressed air is energy, and if you let air you've already compressed leak out it's letting money down the drain (or into thin air).

So, is there any issue leaving whatever air I didn't use stay in the tank until next time I need air?

Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
It's a safety issue... The air that the compressor pushes into the tank is at whatever the ambient humidity is, so it has SOME moisture in it. That moisture condenses on the tank walls and runs down to the bottom. Every time the compressor runs, it is adding a slight amount of water to the tank. Over time the water will rust the tank. A severely rusted tank will be weak. When the owner turns the compressor of the weakened tank on several years, probably, after he bought it, and the pressure goes up to 100 + PSI the tank explodes. It's your choice. When I was at Gruuvy's picking up his ST, I used his compressor to put air in the tires... I got some good natured ribbing (or maybe they were ribbing him/themselves?) because I drained the moisture from the tank. There is no question that I'm on the compulsive side, but every time I drain my compressor tank moisture comes out (And I live in CO!!!). FWIW I put a moisture trap on mine, but there is never any moisture in it, probably because I drain the tank. As to the tank exploding... When I was a kid, I threw a CO2 cartridge in a pile of burning leaves. I was pretty sure what would happen and it did. What surprised me was when I found the exploded cartridge. It was ripped apart lengthwise, had been blown a hundred feet or so, and the metal was as sharp as a razor! It is somewhat of a miracle that I survived my early years! Probably why I'm so safety conscious now!

Rod:old1:

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I leave my full so I don't have to listen to it run just to add a pound of air to a tire.
I do drain it a few times a year.
For the $100.00 I spent on it if it rusts out in 10 years who cares.
I also use a dryer on the air line and an oiler on it as well to keep moisture out of my air tools.

Top Bottom