Suits Suits: JR Survivor, Tourmaster Centurion, Olympia Phantom, or Fieldsheer Cyclone?

The Tiez Lombard is tempting, as is the JR Survivor but y'all got me bragging on my Kili and after a little research it seems they might be coming out with their own one-piece this fall, the Expedition. That just might be worth waiting for. Especially if it uses that new soft-until-impact, d30 armor they have in their TPG Ranier jacket.

:04biker:

I've always liked FG's stuff... but it seems like they are starting to price like 'stich, and rev'it.

Tom de

I'm just saying ...

Two most common quotes I hear from 'stich-lovers are how much they love them ... and how much they leak. I logged over 80,000 miles in a First Gear Kilimanjaro, including LA to the arctic circle, runs through the rockies and across the country to DC and KW (Key West) and never even worried about being wet. It got shredded in an accident in eastern Oregon when some idiot pulled a u-turn in front of me in the middle of nowhere. BUT I got up without a scratch.

Now 'splain it to me Lucy. The 'stich is two or three times as much, you have to waterproof it yourself and even then it still leaks. What are you getting for your $800? It's not protection, is it maybe the camaraderie of the brand? Maybe? The chance to have your photograph in their catalog? The image? Maybe? Now who's the fashionista?

I'm just saying ...
:D

It is kind of a love/hate relationship with the RC. It is very convenient to put on and off so guess that is a big plus. It is protective. It is waterproof except for zipper areas. I have Olympia AST jacket and FG escape and HT II overpants for cooler weather and rain. They aren't quite as convenient as the RC. To me there just isn't a great piece of gear that works for all temperatures and all conditions including rain especially.

JDP

Convenience. I think that's a big thing, especially for somebody doing their commute on the bike. I could see how that counts for alot. To some degree, since I expect this mid-Septembe NW tour to be a little, uh, damp that's what I'm looking for in a one-piece as well.

My HT Overpants are comfortable,function great but you're right, they can be a PITA to put on with those ankle-to-hip zippers and all that velcro. (And that's without the liners!) I am hoping the one-piece is easier to use.

It will be interesting to see what FirstGear comes up with. They said it is due to ship mid-September so we should see what they're offering soon.

PS Hey New Bern! I was there last spring. Spent a couple days in hiding out in Ocracoke and took the ferry to Swan Quarter. Then spent a couple days in Myrtle getting ready to come back out west. I miss that part of the country and the people a lot. Spent 20+ years in Charlotte before letting work bring me to SoCal. Used to sail out of Morehead. Absolutely beautiful. Someday when I grow up I'm coming back there, ... :)

Back
Top Bottom