Sunday coffee and weather, 11 October

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Joined
Jan 8, 2015
Messages
832
Location
Rockville, MD, USA
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
Good morning everyone

The Cubano roast is hot and ready and waiting for you. Come and get yourself a cup!

It's 60°F in Rockville, where light rain is falling and has been for a while. It'll continue pretty much all day, getting heavier later this morning then scaling back again around 1700 hours before stopping entirely in the wee hours of tomorrow morning. We'll top out around 64 degrees.

I'll go to a neighboring town this afternoon to play uke with a different group than my usual Thursday crowd, along with a few others who also cross over.

Stay safe and well everyone and tell your dear ones you love them. Do it today, NOW, for tomorrow may be too late.
 
Good morning, and thanks for the Cubano start, Keith.

It's clear and 41, rising to 57 and becoming cloudy and rainy later in the day.
The sky's pink to the east, but I guess the "red sky in morning" saying will ring true later.

Alarm cat woke me a bit early, but it wasn't TOO early
I was sleeping in the guest room because I've got a cold and didn't want to disturb Brenda with my coughing.

Yesterday, I got the gazebo screening removed, packed up, and put away.
I also did some shopping while Brenda was grocery shopping.
She made a nice beef stew for supper

Today, I plan to sit around and try not to cough.

Enjoy the day,
Steve
 
Thx Keith, nice Cubano!

It was supposed to rain, and blow, but nay, it’s sunny and calm.
Not complaining!
13˚c/55f.

Had planned to go out fishing, but overslept…..
Will try again tomorrow.

Been for a beach walk.
Now slow cooking some lamb. My daughter and family is coming over for dinner later.
Haven’t seen them in a while, so this will be nice!

Steve, hope your cold passes swiftly!
Stu

From todays walk
IMG_5046.jpeg
 
Good morning all!
Thanks Keith, I’ll give your mug of Java a go!
I’ll wish all you Canucks a great Thanksgiving!
I’m visiting with my friend Pat, at her sister’s, her family is to arrive shortly. We’ll probably get to gorge on some old bird, too!
I’m getting pushed to attend a Costco outing this morning, so that should lighten the wallet!
Stay safe!
WB
 
Morning all, and thanks for the coffee, Keith.

A sunny but frosty one here this morning, at only 3 of the Celsius's. Later they're guessing we'll get 9 more at most.

I think like @Whisker Bill there's a Costco trip in my plan for today, as well as one to the regular grocery store. Costco's great for some things, but I don't need a 50 gallon vat of ketchup, mustard or pickles.....

Hope everyone has a great day and remembers, sometimes less is more.

Obo.
 
Thanks Keith, for your caffeine contribution.
I didn't go to Barber yesterday, because it rained literally ALL day, and seeing as how y'all know I rarely miss it, I prayed that the rains would leave us and mosey on up north to Maryland, or somewhere like that.
You're welcome.
I stayed home, and watched Georgia beat Alabama 17-14, so it was a lousy trade-off, but I can't do it over.
And neither can Bama.
Maybe we'll see them in again in the playoffs, if we don't lose another game.
Now I can go to Barber, and just maybe test-ride one of these new-fangled DCT bikes some of y'all continue to caterwaul over.
My good friend is working at the Honda demo rides area, so maybe he can help.
As for that persistent cough plaguing @steve3b3 , I suggest tea with whiskey and lemon. If that doesn't work, omit the tea and lemon, and continue dosing with just the remaining ingredient.
It's cloudy, gloomy, damp and cool... but not raining.
I'll report tomorrow how it goes.
 
G'mornin' from soggy SoMD! Yes, ISASISISASSPISHAAIAAASSSS is giving us a good soaking here. I haven't checked the weather station rain gauge here but I'm guessing around an inch so far as it's been on & off since late last night. Sorry, @Sadlsor, it's just as wet here. You should head west if you want any dryness. Coffee is drunk and inside to-dos are preparing to be done, thanks Keith!

More show prep. Yesterday was getting lights working, there's always one or two that need bulbs or an unplugging/plugging back in to get fresh contacts. And replace a few fuses. On the by...anyone ever had to fish out a broken fuse end from a push-in holder? AGC (glass type) fuse. Too deep to get anything in there and it's juuuust narrow enough that it won't just slide out. Also tried a bit of tape on the end of a screwdriver, not sticky enough. And of course the one hook-like tool I have that could get in there has gone missing...probably laying down on a workbench somewhere mocking me from afar. I'd rather not disassemble the box its in nor do I have the time (who does?)

I don't need a 50 gallon vat of ketchup, mustard or pickles.....
I think if I were stranded on a deserted island with 50 gallons of ketchup, I think I'd rather starve.
As for that persistent cough plaguing @steve3b3 , I suggest tea with whiskey and lemon. If that doesn't work, omit the tea and lemon, and continue dosing with just the remaining ingredient.
Smartest medical advice I've read in this forum thus far!

Today will be lighting programming and then heading to the theater to hang the backdrop and get the lights aimed. Tomorrow starts "hell week" where it's the mad rush to get everything done and lines memorized before we open Friday. So, I may or may not be around to post, but I'll be checkin' in to keep y'all in line. Take care y'all!
 
More show prep. Yesterday was getting lights working, there's always one or two that need bulbs or an unplugging/plugging back in to get fresh contacts. And replace a few fuses. On the by...anyone ever had to fish out a broken fuse end from a push-in holder? AGC (glass type) fuse. Too deep to get anything in there and it's juuuust narrow enough that it won't just slide out. Also tried a bit of tape on the end of a screwdriver, not sticky enough. And of course the one hook-like tool I have that could get in there has gone missing...probably laying down on a workbench somewhere mocking me from afar. I'd rather not disassemble the box its in nor do I have the time (who does?)

What type of fixtures are you running? We used to use ETC source 4's and parcans on Manfrotto trees with T-bars. Later we started moving some of those to LED fixtures.
 
Good day, one and all, and gracias por el Cubano, Keith!

Whew. I think I've finally recovered from that behemoth of a translation job. Hardest one I've ever done, I think. Interesting, though.

It was a chilly 6°C (43°F) when I got up this morning, but we'll see a high of around 17°C/64°F later.

I'll be heading to my friends' house for Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon, should be a jolly gathering! It'll be good to see my pals!

Whelp, that's it for me for now. Everybody have a good one, stay safe and go safely. And Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canucks! :canflag1:

Patty
 
What type of fixtures are you running? We used to use ETC source 4's and parcans on Manfrotto trees with T-bars. Later we started moving some of those to LED fixtures.
Thanks, Obo. the fuse is in an old 4-channel DMX dimmer pack. I can get by without the one channel, but would like to have the added flexibility. The holder is something like this but about two decades older. If I had to open it up (it's not our facility but they don't GAS about their eqpt unless WE break it), I would hope that there's a hole in the end to push the cap through and out. As noted, I'd rather stay on the outside but I'm not going to waste a lot of time just for this. Any ideas to get it out non-invasive and in quick fashion would be appreciated!
1791731990967.png
 
Any ideas to get it out non-invasive and in quick fashion would be appreciated!
- inserting a screw of appropriate diameter to grab the inside of the fuse end-cap...
- a dab of plumbers putty on the tip of a screwdriver...
- a squirt from the (hot) glue-gun, tiny screwdriver/dentist pic and tweezers to work the stuff out again...
 
- inserting a screw of appropriate diameter to grab the inside of the fuse end-cap...
- a dab of plumbers putty on the tip of a screwdriver...
- a squirt from the (hot) glue-gun, tiny screwdriver/dentist pic and tweezers to work the stuff out again...
Good ideas. I like the hot glue one best if I can avoid smearing it down the sides when inserting it. Unfortunately, the metal end cap still has the glass in it too. So, grabbing or piercing it is made more difficult. I did finally find my pick tools...they were right in the tool box drawer just mixed with the regular screwdrivers. We'll see what can be done. Here's a Pic of the pack with two fuse caps removed, top one has the piece stuck in there. Thanks!8016.jpg
 
Last edited:
Morning Keith & All from a wet and :wind1: morning in Southern Utah!

Yep, Rachel has hit us. So far we have only had 0.3" of the wetstuff, but we've had some good winds! Coming in from the south @ 10 to 37MPH. Temp wise, it's 56F, up from 53F and heading for 59F. And more of the same for the next couple of days.

I had to replace the battery on my Ring Camera and tried to attach a "transformer" on my Wyze doorbell camera I have mounted, outside, above one of the garages. but I couldn't get the transformer to work. So I brought it all in to play with in my office until I can get it all to work and then I'll try mounting it again. I need to put an electrical outlet over by that area anyway, so maybe that's what I'll do to solve the wall mounted vacuum and this transformer connections. Come to think about it, that would be my best bet. :)

Hey JD ( @jdmccright ) how about one of these to reach down and get that fuse end out?

20261011_WhatmaCallIts.jpg

Today's Church, going to be fun in this rain & wind...

Boiled eggs, bacon, toast, OJ & Lemon Tea. Pepsis, in the cooler for later.

Anyone :dr13:, have a great day on the roads! :hat3:
 
Good morning and thanks Keith for the Cubano! Sunday is right! that's all we are supposed to get today. 82 predicted for the high, but it always seems to go higher in the afternoon.

The yard needs someone's attention, an attempt was made yesterday but it started to rain when I was picking up after the dog. Later it started to rain when 2 stroke fuel was being mixed. Live to fight another day.

Glad to see Patty back!!

No computers were overheated making this post.

Stay safe!!
 
@Sadlsor I never said DCT's were better.
Nor did I ever say that anyone said they were "better."
Only that some here really like the DCT, some don't, while others defend it as if a negative comment is a personal attack.
I'm ambivalent, but I am not dying to have a DCT bike.
Still, I admit I can not legitimately or fairly argue for or against, because I've never ridden one.
And I may not today, as every demo slot all day is filled. I'm on standby, but realistically even a 20 minute demo ride won't tell me everything about DCT.
Lots of vendors didn't show up, the BMW paddock was bare.
Didn't get to the Flea Market either.
But after filling out 17 forms, showing my ID (GASP!), I took a standby slot at the Honda truck (like, the BIG Honda truck!), and finally got to put about 15 miles on a demo ride... GoldWing DCT.
Initial thoughts...
Not enough time / miles to play with it, transmission sounds busy (*click, click*, ka-thunk) but of course very smooth, cushy ride, easy steering.
It's a GoldWing, and you'd expect nothing less.
Group ride with riders I didn't know or ever met, some couldn't figure how to ride staggered (even after the pre-ride safety talk), so I kept my distance and my left foot and hand were bored to death.
Empty booths in the BMW area, it's normally wall to wall people, bikes, and vendors.
I'm leaving for the house.
 

Attachments

  • 20261011_121610.jpg
    20261011_121610.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20261011_121702.jpg
    20261011_121702.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks, Obo. the fuse is in an old 4-channel DMX dimmer pack. I can get by without the one channel, but would like to have the added flexibility. The holder is something like this but about two decades older. If I had to open it up (it's not our facility but they don't GAS about their eqpt unless WE break it), I would hope that there's a hole in the end to push the cap through and out. As noted, I'd rather stay on the outside but I'm not going to waste a lot of time just for this. Any ideas to get it out non-invasive and in quick fashion would be appreciated!
1791731990967.png
Long, needle nose pliers, or hemostat...
Or, buy another from Digikey and replace the holder and fuse.
 
Back
Top Bottom