Tank Bar?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I wasn't sure what the difference between the two levels was either, (using side or center stand to fuel up) but it seemed like a fair amount because I always fill up to the bar on the side stand and have noticed that the last fuel gauge "full" bar doesn't stay on very long afterwards.
I haven't seen the need to fill on the center stand where our tanks hold so much fuel and I didn't want to chance some fuel migrating to the charcoal cannister.
Can we safely fill the tank to the "bar" when on the center stand and not worry about fuel going to the charcoal cannister and drenching it?
Yes

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I ONLY fill up ST’s on the center stand after seeing two near catastrophic incidents when the riders were sitting on their bikes while refueling and discovered the joint fuel hose was split and damaged, spilling fuel all over the HOT engine and headers causing the bike(s) to catch on fire.
Seeing that happen TWICE was enough to show me that it was much safer to fill them up while OFF of the bike, and being able to run away, without looking like Richard Pryor running down the street.

Bike
2021 R1250RT
I ONLY fill up ST’s on the center stand after seeing two near catastrophic incidents when the riders were sitting on their bikes while refueling and discovered the joint fuel hose was split and damaged, spilling fuel all over the HOT engine and headers causing the bike(s) to catch on fire.
Seeing that happen TWICE was enough to show me that it was much safer to fill them up while OFF of the bike, and being able to run away, without looking like Richard Pryor running down the street.
Those incidents occured on STs?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Yikes! Is there a bike-sized extinguisher available?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Those incidents occured on STs?
Yes
I've seen several joint fuel tubes (lines connecting the two tanks) split and crack while lifting the tanks to service the air filter etc.
These hoses get hard and brittle, and crack without warning, so its a good Idea to reach under there once in a while and make sure your hose is still soft and flexible.
While its no fun to watch 5 gallons of fuel cascading down your lift table, and being unable to stop it, its much worse to watch an ST burn down to the frame next to a gas pump!
Time to get gas.....:nuke1::run1:
Just something to think about.
:WCP1:

This is a Wing, not an ST, but you get the Idea....
And this one burst into flames while the guy was riding it :eek:
4ca5c9b3a3b3a.image.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
Can we safely fill the tank to the "bar" when on the center stand and not worry about fuel going to the charcoal cannister and drenching it?
Absolutely. I do it all the time. Some folks even fill above that and have not reported any issues. The manual says it is ok to fill up to the bar even on the center stand.

The question is do we know for sure that filling above the bar will result in the fuel going to the Charcoal Can. Or is it a hypothesis. If someone can clarify that with certainity.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I can verify that if the tanks are over filled, or even filled up to the max level bar, that in extreme desert heat, the fuel will expand and force itself into the smog cans, as well as hissing/seeping/leak out of the fuel cap on bikes.
I’ve heard that expansion has even damaged seams of some tanks, but that is hearsay.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The salient point that I take from this is a preference to fuel up while not sitting on the motorcycle. This can be accomplished just as easily with the motorcycle on the side-stand, easier in fact. So I'm curious, why only the centre-stand?

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just habit I guess.
I don’t trust the little bolts holding up a 700lb motorcycle.
I’ve seen a few of them break, and I’ve seen too many turnovers from side stands sinking into the pavement on hot summer days.
Come to think of it, I never use the side stand on the ST unless it’s very windy and I want to lean it into the wind while parking.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Just habit I guess.
I don’t trust the little bolts holding up a 700lb motorcycle.
I’ve seen a few of them break, and I’ve seen too many turnovers from side stands sinking into the pavement on hot summer days.
Come to think of it, I never use the side stand on the ST unless it’s very windy and I want to lean it into the wind while parking.
How do you get on and off the bike? :confused1:

Top Bottom