tapered HT bearings - help requested

I'm about to put new springs/seals in my forks, and replace rear shock.

I've read that replacing HT bearings with "tapered" is the way to go.

But i don't know which brand to get/use, assuming folks don't mean OEM-parts from Honda...

Thanks!
N

^+1

Hardest part of the job is getting the old lower race off of the lower triple tree. Several approaches can be used. I used a cutter wheel on my Dremel tool to put a deep, vertical grove in the race, then split it with a chisel and hammer. Sometimes a little heat can be used and the race will expand enough to slide off of the shaft. And you may even be able to simply pry it up, just depends on how tight the race is on the shaft.

+2 on CBR. They package a kit with the needed bearings, races and dust caps for the ST. The bearing were high quality. There's also a tool kit with everything you need to make the job easy available through John Oosterhuis.

May as well get some wheel bearings to have on hand as long as you are paying shipping.
+10 on CBR they are great

I got mine from eBay, All Balls bearings. The advantage of tapered bearings is that you don't have to set exact torque. Just tight them by hand and lock with lock nut. I always check after 100 miles or so and if necessary, re- tighten.

Surly someone out there has the part numbers for tapered bearings for an ST1100,would make life so much easier.

I got mine from eBay, All Balls bearings. The advantage of tapered bearings is that you don't have to set exact torque. Just tight them by hand and lock with lock nut. I always check after 100 miles or so and if necessary, re- tighten.

Does the all balls bearings come with dust caps etc? don't know whether to go cbr or all balls,I suppose either will be good,thanks

Surly someone out there has the part numbers for tapered bearings for an ST1100,would make life so much easier.

This shows the invoice & part #s from CBR Bearing Inc. when we ordered the wheel bearing kits for the RCB's 1993 ST1100. Also ordered steering head bearing kits for both RCB's 1993 ST1100 and my 2000 ST1100. The front wheel bearings for yours may be different, but they will know what you need. Just call them and tell them your year and model of ST, they will ship you what you need. They know bearings!

View attachment 142576

Here are the threads on our work on both ST's

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/sh...r-the-steering-bearing-replacement&highlight=

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?125774-ST1100-Revitalization

Does the all balls bearings come with dust caps etc? don't know whether to go cbr or all balls,I suppose either will be good,thanks
Yes. All "all balls bearings" come with dust cups, I've been using that brand for front, rear and swingarm as well as steering, and they come with all seals as a set for particular application.

Mark

Honda doesn't manufacture bearings, and neither does All Balls. If you buy bearings from Honda, they will meet OEM specs, but they will be expensive. The advantage of buying bearings from All Balls is that you don't have to know the bearing and seal part numbers, and they package them up nicely, but again, you will pay for that service. Personally, I would ask which brands of bearings they're selling you (and their place of manufacture), before I'd purchase from an aftermarket supplier.

The alternative is to research the bearings specifications you require and order your bearings directly from a bearing supply place. That way you can choose which brand of bearing you're paying for. I think CBR is a bearing supply house, but I don't know how their prices compare to other such places. Since they are well-known in the motorcycle community, they may be able to charge significantly more than other bearing supply houses. (I know several good bearing suppliers in the UK, but unfortunately not in the USA.)

Honda uses the same bearings for many different motorcycles, so it should be relatively easy to determine the specs you need (bearings and seals are also helpfully inscribed with their part numbers and manufacturers).

Ciao,

Hi, any chance you'd give me the names of those bearing suppliers in the UK? thanks
Sure. The information is a bit dated, but see my bearings page for several UK suppliers. Also for some OEM Honda tapered roller bearing part numbers... (Honda did use tapered rollers on certain bikes, Gold Wings, mainly, but as I said above, they often fit other Hondas.)

Ciao,

The set of All Balls bearing I bought seemed cheap not greased and may have been made in China (it was a few years ago). The CBR was a quick call, all parts, and ready to install.

FYI, out of curiosity, I just checked the ST1300A4's steering stem bearing and seal part numbers and they are exactly the same as those shown on the webpage I've linked to above.

The bearing dimensions are as follows (ID, OD, width):
26mm, 47mm, 15mm (upper)
30mm, 55mm, 17mm (lower)

ST1300A4 OEM ball bearing (upper):91015-KT8-005
OEM tapered roller bearing (upper): 91015-425-832
ST1300A4 OEM ball bearing (lower):91016-KT8-005
OEM tapered roller bearing (lower): 91016-371-000

ST1300A4 OEM upper seal: 53214-KA4-701
ST1300A4 OEM lower seal: 53214-371-010

I have never ordered these particular OEM bearings from Honda, but I have fit tapered roller bearings in these sizes (from automotive bearing suppliers) to several bikes.

Ciao,

Top Bottom