rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Heres something you may also want to consider, more studies have come out in favor of lane splitting from a safety standpoint. This is a huge factor in California due to our severe traffic congestion. With a trailer you no longer have that great option. California so far is the only state that allows this but as I mentioned the studies will probably open at minimum more debate and possible passing of lane splitting in other states.
I for one carry quite a bit of camping gear as I like to cook at camp. All I have on my ST1100 are the side cases and a Hydra 2 bag on the passenger seat I run lengthwise. It's a great bag in good sizes reasonably priced and waterproof ( to the point of a down pour ). It holds my 3 man tent,fly, poles, ground cover,twin air mattress,a real pillow,sleeping bag ,bag liner and 12 volt air pump with room to spare. This is the mid size bag which fits nicely on the bike. I use one saddelbag for all the cooking and kitchen stuff and the other one for clothing and ditty bag.
I also ride solo so take advantage of it and give some kind of dry bag a try, that and some ROK straps and your all in for under a hundred bucks. It's a cheap experiment and thats half the fun.
I really haven't considered it but there is a reason for that. Unfortunately it will be a very long time before Iowa even considers lane splitting. Just not enough traffic to make it beneficial and BDC attitudes that would make it downright deadly here... even if it were passed into law. So not really a motivation here.

I do have a Kwik Tek Dry Pack XL dry bag that I received for Christmas from my son. It's 103 liters packed and closed. From Amazon for $50. I plan to put everything that goes inside the tent in that (sleeping bag/pad, clothes, ditty bag, etc). The tent and tarp and such will go in a separate smaller Sea to Summit dry bag and set on top of the big one. Cooking stuff in one panier with room to spare and tools, extra jacket liners/gloves, and misc stuff in the other. Will see how that works. I always keep the tent/tarp separate from the inside stuff since I can then get those out in the rain without risk of getting the other stuff wet. All last season I camped in the tent since I don't have a hitch on the new bike. But I was using 3 additional smaller dry bags piled high on the tail. The Kwik Tek will bring that pile under control.

Have you tried Glucosomene, Contdrotin, with vitamin D and MSM. Works miracles for me every day.
Have tried those but doesn't work the same for everyone. We both tried that stuff and joints felt worse for both of us so we stopped. My knees are fine as long as I don't kneel directly on something hard. A problem with the knee cap more than the joint so I now use a knee pad to solve that problem and it works great. I'd bring the pad along either way, tent or camper.

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep them coming. So far I am leaning toward tent camping and selling the camper but still not totally convinced either way. Plan to do some more tent camping this May and June to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I have pain in my knees, back,neck,elbows,eyeballs,hands,wrist------. I still love to motorcycle tent camp and do it as often as work allows (the source of pain)
If I was to pull a trailer it would be with my truck--my ST1300 was designed to "fly" on curvy roads--not pull a parachute like device.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I wore (and still wear when needed) a pair of these everyday for work for years. I did a lot of things that had me down on my knees and these, with the gel pad, were a life saver.

JD5

I have pain in my knees, back,neck,elbows,eyeballs,hands,wrist------. I still love to motorcycle tent camp and do it as often as work allows (the source of pain)
If I was to pull a trailer it would be with my truck--my ST1300 was designed to "fly" on curvy roads--not pull a parachute like device.
No kiddin , this aging thing has a steep friggin curve after fifty ! I've got an entire dresser drawer dedicated to braces, Knees , elbows, back,ankle and where do you get the one for eyeballs ? I'll probably need that too pretty soon, maybe you attach them to your glasses ? Couldn't agree more on the rest of what you said either....... Well, until trying to get dressed every morning while lying down. As some one here has already said the small amount of time your inconvenienced with a tent is a great investment for an entire trip of riding with out a trailer, especially in California. Although sometimes a trailer would be great when base camping and taking day rides. I would take Mello's advice here and hang on to the trailer as long as practical for you just to keep your options open.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I don't find tenting all that much of a hardship when I'm on the ST1300, I've got plenty of room to carry gear:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Qn4ZKkbMOcw/VIPTIuEGYpI/AAAAAAAAEv8/ISe9if6rJ-Y/s1152/ST1300_loaded1.jpg

The 65L tail bag lets me carry a really nice tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag & chair:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lFOSEQaPDwA/VIPTCIVSjMI/AAAAAAAAEv0/38FhDB3bgyI/s1152/ST1300_tent3.jpg

I can't say I've been feeling the need for a camper and I'd prefer to load up my bike than to tow something.
I've got the 2 x 35L panniers + 55L Givi Top Box + Dryspec 65L tail bag, I think that is enough space so that I don't need to tow anything.
If necessary I could also consider stacking another bag on top of my tail bag, I struggle to think of what I couldn't take with me.

I do ride solo always these days, especially camping.
I am a bit of minimalist.
If you are a minimalist then it would be even easier to pack everything on the bike and not need to tow anything.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I continue to stew about this. There are some other items i also want to buy for the lawn/house that take up room in the garage... about the same space as the camper takes up. Pulled the camper out from winter storage position and turned it around to be ready for whatever. I think my indecision right now is more about getting rid of something I already own than about the camper itself. I do think I can do without the camper so still leaning to selling it and sticking with the tent. I can always get a bigger tent as some here have mentioned with a fraction of what the camper should sell for. Maybe I'll hang on to it like Mellow said, at least past LOCSTOC... maybe.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I know your leaning towards selling your camper but let me tell you a little about RanchSTOC. It rained the whole weekend and I was SO GLAD that I had my camping trailer. I was able to relax at night, get up in the morning and sit on the edge of the bed thinking about how miserable those were around me in their tents! I do agree that campers aren't for everyone but guess at my age with tents, I've did it, done it, don't need to do it again. I'll just continue to enjoy my Lees-ure Lite, thank you!

TPadden

Tom Padden
.....and sit on the edge of the bed thinking about how miserable those were around me in their tents! I do agree that campers aren't for everyone but guess at my age with tents, I've did it, done it, don't need to do it again. I'll just continue to enjoy my Lees-ure Lite, thank you!
Gary,

I can't think of one person who was miserable for one minute at RanchSToc unless they were (soberly) thinking about those who stayed home :D.

I'll just continue to to tent :tent3: and/or accept other's hospitality; including your coffee, please continue doing what you're doing! :yr1:

Tom

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I don't have a problem pulling my camper to where the riding is good, setting up riding for a few days and pulling it home. Fuel mileage in the mid 30's and speeds over 90 are not a problem compared to how bad I hurt sleeping on the ground. There may be other options but the motel a few times a year hasn't hurt much for the long hauls like BRG.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, decided to post the camper for sale. I did a decision table on keeping or selling and keeping it came up a bit short. I already camped all last summer in the tent so really don't need to do more of that to decide. We'll see what happens if anyone is interested. I know my bike will "feel" lighter not pulling it, though I really didn't feel it back there except for stopping and starting.

OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Camper sold today. Priced it maybe a little higher than I've found it in some listings but it's a hard one to find when you're looking for this model and usually brings in what is being asked for it. I got what I needed for it. Maybe now I can afford some ROX straps to hold my extra large dry bag on the tail. :grin:

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I camp in a tent when I'm with my girlfriend, but when I'm alone, I'm making the switch to a hammock, it's much easier on my back, and no crawling out of my little tent, crashing around!

Positive: Off the ground, easy on the back, very comfortable, prices very inexpensive to expensive (I might sell you one of mine! :)) warm (I'll explain) and easy to get out of in the morning, and get dressed. Pack in about 1/3 to 1/4 of a tent's space. Set up in less than 10 minutes as a novice.

Negatives: You must have some kind of insulation under you - an underquilt or a pad in an ENO holder (You can rig something pretty easily), When you stand up to get dressed, you will be showing the world your special attributes!, but you can rig up a dressing area, or put your tarp up, so no one can see. It's also handy to have a small hammock (make it yourself) to put your clothes and boots in, so they're of the ground. You will need two support trees, at least 6" around about 11-12' apart. Not a problem here in the Northwoods! Just watch out for widowmakers!

Of course, I grew up in tents, then a Starcraft pop up, then a Winnebago trailer when camping with the family... so your little camper also sounds great!

Kent
\

Bike
2004 ST 1300
Personally, I would NEVER pull a trailer behind a motorcycle.

I witnessed the most horrible accident on the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years back. A Goldwing pulling a trailer tangled with a Harley mid-turn, almost a head-on collision. The trailer jackknifed with the Harley in the middle. They spun like a mini tornado and crap flew everywhere. Severe injuries requiring two helicopters.

I ride a motorcycle for certain reasons. Hauling trailers in not one of the reasons.

Glad you sold the trailer.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Of course we all have our views on pulling a trailer. I've pulled one for many, many miles throughout the years. During my October 2013 accident, if I hadn't been pulling my camping trailer to take up the impact when I was hit from behind, traveling at 55 mph, I wouldn't be here posting this. So, as I say, we all have our opinions. I'll keep pulling my new camping trailer. Besides, I'm too old to sleep on the ground anymore. JMHO

TPadden

Tom Padden
Of course we all have our views on pulling a trailer. During my October 2013 accident, if I hadn't been pulling my camping trailer to take up the impact when I was hit from behind, traveling at 55 mph, I wouldn't be here posting this. So, as I say, we all have our opinions. I'll keep pulling my new camping trailer.
Yeah but sometimes our opinions are simply rationalizations ...... If you hadn't been pulling your trailer at 55 mph (which is a dangerously slow speed almost anywhere in Texas) you wouldn't have been there at that particularly unfortunate moment ..... :D

The previous post is much worse in the unreasonable rationalization department:

Personally, I would NEVER pull a trailer behind a motorcycle, I witnessed the most horrible accident on the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years back.......Glad you sold the trailer.
Delorean, that's the ticket .....:rofl1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjs987

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Personally pulling a trailer is not that big a deal to me. Sleeping on the ground is not either, as long as I have a good sleeping pad/mattress under me. Thus the reason for this thread. I agree that the bike handles much better without dragging a trailer behind. I've never really been bothered by the lessened handling on the way to and from camping events since I can enjoy many miles of riding without the trailer after I set up camp. It came down to just that it was little bit of extra work and very little extra cost to keep the trailer as well as manufacture a hitch for the bike (a little more extra initial cost) and I just wasn't feeling up to doing that last part this time around. I also wanted extra room in the garage and have been reducing things I take with me enough that the camper just seemed more than I needed or wanted. I didn't feel there was an overriding benefit for me to keep the camper. It was very nice to have and use, but not overwhelmingly so to me. Maybe someday I'll have another camper, but as long as I wasn't going to be using it in the near future...

I've only witnessed one "incident" with a bike pulling a cargo trailer and that was almost a non-incident... a bike in our group turned into a gas station too close to a tall curb and the trailer tire bounced the trailer onto its side. Just a few scrapes on the trailer and otherwise no damage to bike or riders. I have personally come across a few mc accidents that didn't involve any trailers at all and those were every bit as bad and the stories I've heard and read of mc-trailer accidents so to me it's all about "accidents sometimes happen" and it really doesn't matter a lot if you pull a trailer or not. There are risks to both that need to be managed and/or accepted.

BTW- I like that Delorean time machine idea. Too bad it will only take me back to my younger days and yet not make ME younger. Maybe I could convince my younger self to start riding sooner and then keep my bike all along :grin:
Can I get one of those Mr Fusion things installed on my bike yet?

Top Bottom