Test ride 2022 R1250RT and 2023 K1600 GT

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Looking back on the posts on this page, the handful of electrical quirks (cruise control, horn, Pass) you observed are also noted over at ADVrider with the new bimmers, although I pay more attention to the GS and GSA pages. So these are known foibles.
My only issue with your stated experiences is, you occasionally and casually remark "but it was free", and any self-respecting BMW owner knows there ain't nuthin' for free with BMW. (aka Bring More Wallet**). No, NUTHIN'... not even the crappy stock tires or the under-floorboard lighting. (But if you want to believe you got something "free", who am I to argue? :rofl1: :rofl1: )
Ditto with the dealer and corporate being frequently at opposite ends of the manual... not merely "not on the same page." Still, it's amazing that some of us are still drawn to these machines, perhaps in the hopes they will one day actually live up to their lofty claims of sophistication, luxury, convenience... and real performance.
And in fairness, SOME do.

** Some additional monikers you may or may not have learned:
· Big Money Works
· Brutal Money Waster
· Babbling Mechanical Wench
· Beastly Monstrous Wonder
· Beautiful Masterpieces on Wheels
· Beautiful Mechanical Wonder
· Barely Moving Wreck
· Big Money Waste
· Big Money. Why?
· Born Moderately Wealthy
· Bring Many Wrenches
· Brings Me Women
· Broken Money Waster
· Broke My Wallet
· Broken Monstrous Wonder
· Bumbling Mechanical Wretch
· Blasphemous Motorized Wreck

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Looking back on the posts on this page, the handful of electrical quirks (cruise control, horn, Pass) you observed are also noted over at ADVrider with the new bimmers, although I pay more attention to the GS and GSA pages. So these are known foibles.
My only issue with your stated experiences is, you occasionally and casually remark "but it was free", and any self-respecting BMW owner knows there ain't nuthin' for free with BMW. (aka Bring More Wallet**). No, NUTHIN'... not even the crappy stock tires or the under-floorboard lighting. (But if you want to believe you got something "free", who am I to argue? :rofl1: :rofl1: )
Ditto with the dealer and corporate being frequently at opposite ends of the manual... not merely "not on the same page." Still, it's amazing that some of us are still drawn to these machines, perhaps in the hopes they will one day actually live up to their lofty claims of sophistication, luxury, convenience... and real performance.
And in fairness, SOME do.

** Some additional monikers you may or may not have learned:
· Big Money Works
· Brutal Money Waster
· Babbling Mechanical Wench
· Beastly Monstrous Wonder
· Beautiful Masterpieces on Wheels
· Beautiful Mechanical Wonder
· Barely Moving Wreck
· Big Money Waste
· Big Money. Why?
· Born Moderately Wealthy
· Bring Many Wrenches
· Brings Me Women
· Broken Money Waster
· Broke My Wallet
· Broken Monstrous Wonder
· Bumbling Mechanical Wretch
· Blasphemous Motorized Wreck
You forgot Bring More Wallet :biggrin:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
To make a long story short, all you really have to do is show up at a ST event and look around... :rofl1:

Tom
Due to my calendar challenges, in addition to my general "can't get my shirt together" lifestyle, I have attended exactly ONE STOC event, in 4 years of ST ownership.
But my good friend @Obo offers personal counseling, gratis, after hours, and he agrees I'm a work in progress.
I have only myself to blame.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Let me describe my concept of "free."

I ordered A, and was quoted B. They then tried to offer me C, for an extra charge of D. At the end, I paid B, and received C.

So I got more than I asked for, and paid the exact amount I agreed to initially. The bike is on a PCP, and is covered by their warranty. Technically, the bike remains theirs, and will go back to them at the end of the PCP, rather than me paying the balloon payment. For the duration of the time it resides in my garage, it has their warranty cover, and 2 break down policies.

I accepted all of these facts before putting ink to paper... and they still ended up giving me more than they agreed to, at the price they agreed to.

And better yet, it gets up off the line and puts more of a smile on my mug than the ST has done in a long time. Lets not forget... the amount I paid to keep the ST on the road, last December, is 8 months payments on the BMW.

You get what you pay for in this world, and the moment they want to quibble about honouring the warranty, I already pay a pretty good lawyer who will give me his opinion on the topic. Occasionally, someone throws you a bone and you get a little bit more than you paid for. Equally occasionally, someone tries to screw you, and I think about calling my lawyer. (Case in point, this year I was screwed out of 10k, but for the amount of hassle it's going to cause to get that back, and the extra expense on top, it's easier to just write that off, for which, I pay a pretty good accountant.)

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Let me describe my concept of "free."
No offense intended. I was just having fun with the entire BMW business model, pricing, packages, dealers, staff, corporate and all the rest.
Bear in mind I've purchased a 2022-spec 1250 GSA last December with everything they offer (sans luggage), and I've yet to bring it home from RawHyde Adventures out in Kalifornistan.
So in effect, this being my 3rd BMW (2 F650s prior), I am including myself in the BMW satire.
Still... there is a reason (or more) that some people, fully aware of all the BMW corporate attitudes and the rest, continue to buy BMW motorcycles, and there is a reason why the BMW boxer GS bikes continue to set the industry standard for "adventure" bikes, define those as you will.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
No offense intended
Absolutely none taken, and btw, I just edited the previous post to add details at the end.

You & I have had a giggle from time to time here on the ST forum, so I just naturally see your posts in that light. I don't always reply with a giggle, but that doesn't mean I've taken offence. ;)

PS, if you're curious about tales from our fellow "comrade" - I'm still in touch with him, feel free to PM me and I can update you on things.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
How bright are his bikes now??
Camouflaged, double the number of wheels you'd normally expect, and somewhat on topic at the moment, his current one bears a BMW badge.

• Haha
Reactions: Obo

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got some free stuff,,,,a drain plug and a shiny drive shaft :).
I wish I had one of those free drive shafts. It’s nearly time to pull mine for greasing the u joints. 25,000 miles went by in no time

Reactions: Tor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've got some free stuff,,,,a drain plug and a shiny drive shaft :).
BMW service bulletins... did they test your drive shaft, and find it wanting?
Taking my GSA in next week... no duckbill drain plug on mine. And I've been seeing some raunchy, rusty shafts on ADVrider.
I wouldn't have believed the factory sent these out in the world without moly on 'em.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
BMW service bulletins... did they test your drive shaft, and find it wanting?
Taking my GSA in next week... no duckbill drain plug on mine. And I've been seeing some raunchy, rusty shafts on ADVrider.
I wouldn't have believed the factory sent these out in the world without moly on 'em.
Had enough miles on my tractor to warrant a new shaft, no matter how it looked. And I know it looked very good, because I drop the pumpkin down every time I do service, at 6k. Cleaned, relubed, and pumpkin oil changed before it goes back together.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Had a recall on the K.

They sent me a letter and in big red bold lettering, stated that the recall was "AN IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE - DO NOT IGNORE."

Turns out, the circlips under the pegs might fall out. :rofl1:

(they did the work a few weeks ago, I showed up early, drank their coffee, used their wifi, and they were done within 30mins of me arriving).

Top Bottom