Test ride - Triumph Sprint ST

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I had a chance to ride a 06 Sprint ST ABS during the last week and take it through most street & highway situations. Let me start out by saying I have heard a lot of comparisons between the ST1300 and the Triumph, so I was curious about the similarities. These are two very different bikes - I would rate the Sprint ST as 85% sport and 15% touring, while the ST1300 is 40% sport and 60% touring.
Sprint ST ABS pros: smooth power and nice range to the engine - redline @ 10,500 rpm. Good brakes, smooth shifting, nice balance and weight, good controls (I like the passing switch on the left handgrip - most control operations are identical to the ST1300).
Cons: very little protection from the windshield, small seat, high foot pegs and forward sport bike stance.
I could not imagine riding more than 200 miles with the riding position this bike requires. The power and torque is not what I expected, the ST1300 has a more powerful feel, regardless of the weight difference. The Sprint ST is a much smaller and lighter bike that I would consider as a second bike for local riding. I felt like I was getting on a Goldwing when I got back on my ST1300 to head back home after this test drive.

Last edited:

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Good review; I'm surprised to hear that the seating position on the Sprint is so agressive. I figured it'd be closer to the Hondas.

Good to know, though - I think the Sprint ST is an incredible looking motorcycle...and very tempting!

STOC #
I find it tempting. Didn't know whether it was a real alternative to the ST like the FJR is. However, I think the final drive is chain. My preference is to avoid chains. It is just one more thing to worry about when you are 500 miles from home.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I would be so tempted to go for the Sprint ST if it had shaft drive and electric windshield. The two essentials of a good sport tourer.

Ray

As some of you probably already know, I'll probably be switching out my ST1300 with the Sprint ST.

There are risers available, but I didn't really find it all that agressive when I demoed a stock Sprint ST. They are clip-ons, but not like a 600rr or 1000rr supersport bike. With risers, should be quite comfy for many. Leg room for my 34" legs was more than adequate.

Here is a pic of me on one, gives you an idea of the ergos:

I actually found the Sprint ST to feel more powerful than the ST1300, especially in the low-end torque area. Felt very smooth through the whole RPM range. Handling in twisties was much better. I like lighter and more nimble :)

It's all in what you want from a bike.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
That new Sprint ST has probably the best torque curve of any engine going right now. It is long and flat! That is a very nice motorcycle!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
It's my understanding the silver ones are fastest. No surprise there. :cool:

Top Bottom