Test rode a 2006 ST1300 yesterday...

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I've had my '99 ST1100 for more than a year and a half. I've been extremely pleased with it. I read the posts on this forum daily from folks riding the ST1300 and figured that someday I'd progress to the ST1300. I had the opportunity to test ride a recently traded in 2006 at the local dealer. The previous owner had it for a year, put 11K on it, and then traded it in on a wing.

I'm in the position financially to "trade up" if I want to, but after riding the ST1300 for an hour on a combination of twisty back roads and highway, I've decided to hold off for now. I've heavily modified my ST1100 adding many features including the Audiovox cruise control, heated grips, head and tail light modulators, Stebel horn, Scorpio alarm system, Stealth seat, Clearview windshield, Heli bars, etc. I quickly calculated what it would take to "accessorize" the ST1300 to the same level and it would be substantial from a monetary point of view, not to mention the time.

The ST13 handled great, but not much different or better than my ST11. It has more power, but the ST11's power is ridiculous already. The center of gravity is a little lower on the ST13, but I don't commute on the Dragon's Tail. The only feature I truly liked on the ST13 is the motorized windshield. It'd be great if someone would develop an aftermarket motorized shield for the ST11. The ST1300 had a Corbin seat but didn't feel as comfortable as my Stealth. I know that's a subjective thing, but I would not be happy with that seat and would have to replace it, adding to the cost of going to the ST13. The previous owner of the ST13 had replaced the stock exhaust with a Two Brothers set of pipes, which I really didn't care for the sound of. I'm not into loud pipes. I also quickly noticed that the ST1300 had a lot of "popping" on deceleration. I experienced that on my ST11 until I removed the pairing system. I just wasn't expecting that on the ST13.

So, I guess for now I'll wait to see of Honda releases a successor to the ST13 in the next few years. In the meantime, I'll continue enjoying my ST11!

Yeah, it doesn't seem the 13 is as huge of a difference from the 11 like the Connie 14 was from the old Connie.

Some think it was a big enough jump to get the 13 but some also wish the 11 was still in production.

Sorry, I'm an American. I always fall for the "New and Improved" version.

Yeah, it doesn't seem the 13 is as huge of a difference from the 11 like the Connie 14 was from the old Connie.

Some think it was a big enough jump to get the 13 but some also wish the 11 was still in production.

The ST1100 was a monumental leap over the old Connie, I don't think anyone denies that.
This Sunday I rode the canyons with my riding friends for the first time with my ST1100. Two ride FJR1300's and two ride K1200GT's. Previously I rode my VFR800. Although I had to shift a lot, the ST1100 kept up just fine. Considering their bikes get 4000 miles on tires and get 35 mpg compared to my 7000/45 mpg I don't feel any need whatsoever to "upgrade". I've never been one to care about fashion, maybe that's the problem.

Last edited:
That's true, and it seems like some of the worst riders have liter sportbikes.

No need to "upgrade" to the ST13 if the ST11 still has legs under it. If my '93 hadn't died, I'd probably still be riding it. That said, I really like the 1300. Oddly, it took longer to get used to than any of my previous bikes.

I put 80k miles on my '94 ST11. It took me a while to get used to the ST13 and there are still a couple of things that I like better about the ST11. But, after 30k miles on my '06, I don't think I would go back to an 1100.

So, I guess for now I'll wait to see of Honda releases a successor to the ST13 in the next few years. In the meantime, I'll continue enjoying my ST11!

Took 13 years to get the next generation after ST11, so the math says that the next next generation will be in 2016. 7 years to go :p:

Back
Top Bottom