Test rode a BMW K1600 and K1200 today...

Bike
2003 ST1300
A quiet Friday at work had me curious...are those big BMW bikes I see on the highway as amazing as I suspect they might be?

I swung by our local BMW dealership and had an absolutely wonderful, hassle free, test ride experience.

I was interested in looking at the K1600, within 10 minutes of arrival I was pulling out the parking lot on the K1600 having been told to bring it back in 40 minutes or so. I seriously couldn’t have asked for a better experience.

I had built the K1600 up in my mind and was truly excited to ride it. Somehow it didn’t quite live up to the hype I’d created for it. It was comfy, nice weather and wind protection, clearly more than enough well behaved power. On the downside, it felt like I was riding a bike with flat tires ( they weren’t ), and I felt like the brakes weren’t anywhere near as good as what I’m used to on the ST. I also found the ride by wire throttle made me feel disconnected from the bike, making it feel more “transportation” than “motorcycle”. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it, just not as much as I thought I would. One thing that blew my socks off, the quick shifter, truly amazing.

When I pulled back into the parking lot, they had a K1200 waiting for me and offered me a ride on that next. I hadn’t asked about the K1200 or even thought about it, but jumped at the chance to ride another bike.

The K1200 felt noticeably smaller in every way after the K1600. I liked it, but didn’t love it. It felt rough to me, the engine was like a coffee can full of marbles which when idling made the windshield and mirrors vibrate, a lot. I don’t have a ton to say about this bike ( I would clearly make an awful motorcycle journalist ), but nothing about it blew me away. I will say I felt more at home on it, likely because the size is more similar to my ST1300 than the K1600 was.

They had evaluated my ST1300 for a trade in value while I was out riding. For those who are curious, my 2003 ST1300 with 21000 miles, great condition, is worth $1900 to them. They pointed out that it needs new fork seals and brake pads all around, which would cost them $870 to fix, bring the trade in value down to $1000. The upside of this is I didn’t realise it needed any of that, so now I have some projects on my hands.

Again, I can’t say enough good things about the BMW dealer test ride experience here in San Jose, it was a dream and I was truly grateful to get to ride 2 bikes that I’ve been highly curious about.

If anyone has questions about these bikes I’ll be happy to answer based on my experience today.

Please bear in mind these are just my INITIAL thoughts based on a VERY limited amount of ride time.

Which bike did I like best?

Honestly, my ST1300.

STOC #
I'm so glad to read your review. I considered both while shopping, along with the Connie and FJR. I rode the latter two before I rode the ST and absolutely fell in love. I really think the ST is one of the most underrated motorcycles.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A county motor-guy went to a BMW dealer for a test ride and one of the sales guys - himself a former city motor cop - took him for a test ride that was about two hours. They rode all over switching off in a casual Hare n Hounds ride and got back to the dealer an hour after the place locked up. The county guy got a good deal on some flavor of BMW. He's happy.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The upside of this is I didn’t realise it needed any of that, so now I have some projects on my hands.
Tim, consider installing RaceTech gold valves up front. They make a huge difference. Of course, if you do that, you will want them to do the rear shock too...... Cost up front is about $500 w/ fork bushings, seals, etc. Cost in the back is a bit less, c. $400 iirc. Though, if you are big enough to handle a K bike, you might need new springs, too, and that might up the cost a bit.

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
Tim, consider installing RaceTech gold valves up front. They make a huge difference. Of course, if you do that, you will want them to do the rear shock too...... Cost up front is about $500 w/ fork bushings, seals, etc. Cost in the back is a bit less, c. $400 iirc. Though, if you are big enough to handle a K bike, you might need new springs, too, and that might up the cost a bit.
Interesting! I’ll do some research on those, thanks Peter!

Bike
ST and K1600
I've loved my '06 ST since buying it new in '07. Currently just under 10k miles. No problems, just pure enjoyment. However, I did recently buy a 2016 K1600GTL with 1500 miles. It's got the premium package that includes all options except day-time running lights, so it's got cruise, elect suspension, elect traction control, heated grips and seats, sat/am/fm radio, tire pressure monitoring, gps, bluetooth, a key fob to lock/unlock all luggage and start engine, lighted top box. I didn't farkle up the ST except for Powerlet plugs and a pigtail into my tank bag, so the riding experience with all these extras is beyond my expectations. The power from that 6-cyl engine is amazing, and the response at the throttle is lightning fast. I had to change the ride mode to "rain" to lower the engine power until I could get used to the throttle response. I also like the laid back riding position a lot better. I never realized how far forward I sat on the ST until I rode the K bike. I do miss the growl of the Honda engine. Also the K bike's side bags are not as solid as the ST. They sort of hang, where the Honda panniers are solidly mounted. I don't miss the heat from the ST, nor do I miss the heavier feel of the ST due to the weight being higher off the ground vs. the K bike. I'm not selling my ST. I know that the BMW won't be as reliable, so will likely be riding the ST when the K bike is in the shop. Overall, I'm pretty happy, .. no, I'm very happy with the BMW.

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
Love your thoughts on the K1600 Alan! I’m pretty sure I would feel similar after spending more time with the bike. I just couldn’t get over the fact that it’s not $18,000 better than my ST1300. I did love that all the tech and farkles are part of the bike, not 3rd party add ones that are hard to make look stock. I suppose the ST1300 design is pushing 20 years old at this point, and it shows when you compare it to the tech and design of a bike like the K1600.

I liked the bike, but there’s no way I could justify $18,000 worth of love when compared to my ST1300. :)

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I've done my own brake pads & fork seals for a WHOLE lot less than $870 ! But having numerous bad experiences with the local BMW dealer here , none of your experience surprises me .

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I would seriously wonder if indeed , you need brake pads ( & fork seals ) with only 21K on a ST1300 , measure them first . My '91 GoldWing still is on originals with double the mileage & age .
I've caught dealers , car & MC , in many lies that would benefit THEM only !

Bike
2000 ST1100
The BMW's bikes are an acquired taste. Just like their cars. But that being said the same thing was said when my riding buddies first gave my brand new ST1100 a look over. In the year 2000 cruisers were all the rage and most did not understand "sport touring". Words were unkind such as "that things got a sewing machine motor etc,etc. Its funny cause I just told em that they would not understand because sport touring is an acquired taste.

Interesting to hear. I demoed a K1600GTL as well. While I loved the heated seat, I would never have traded it for my FJR at the time. Maybe it was too fancy for me. I also heard it was “totally insanely awesome” too. It didn’t live up to the hype. I’m trying to get a demo of a new Goldwing to see how that is.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Wow. The R1250RT ticks all the boxes for me.
I've taken the R1250 RT out for a test ride, and it certainly is a nicely engineered and well-built motorcycle. The problem I have with it (and I emphasize that it is my problem, not the motorcycle's problem) is that after 20 years of riding 4 cylinder STs, I both notice and don't like the vibration I feel coming from a two cylinder motorcycle.

Having said that, if I was looking for a long distance touring machine and had no previous experience with one, I would certainly consider buying the R1250RT.

Michael

Was the K16 a new bike? I find it kinda funny that they would let you test it since the K16s can’t be sold right now due to stop sale with transmission shift fork problem. Local dealer here doesn’t even have them on the floor right now. Everyones riding taste and experience are different that being said in the sport touring market nothing beats the motor on the K16. I found the handling and the braking far superior on the K16 & RT over the ole ST1300 which in the it’s day was the best in my opinion. I have fond memories of the ST but It’s like comparing an F4 to a F22. Yes I have drank the kool aid .

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I've taken the R1250 RT out for a test ride, and it certainly is a nicely engineered and well-built motorcycle. The problem I have with it (and I emphasize that it is my problem, not the motorcycle's problem) is that after 20 years of riding 4 cylinder STs, I both notice and don't like the vibration I feel coming from a two cylinder motorcycle.

Having said that, if I was looking for a long distance touring machine and had no previous experience with one, I would certainly consider buying the R1250RT.

Michael
I had to 'get it' and learn the differences--it was in my head. When I bought mine, and rode it the first few times, I wondered to myself if I'd made a mistake. The Honda experience had 'programmed' me as to what I expected all bikes to be. But once you own an RT and ride it, you'd change your deduction about the bike and learn how good the bike is overall. A test ride simply doesn't do it.

Yes, the BMW RT vibrates differently having the opposing-twin configuration than experienced with other more common V-twin, parallel-twin, inline-4, V4 configurations (each having their own traits). The RT's is most noticeable in having some of that boxer loping trait of flat-fours in cars. That difference is most noticeable when you climb on and start it, idle it, feel it, start out on it, use it in low rpm ranges such as in city street traffic, and take it in the first minutes or hour of riding--and that is what you/we remember the most and use to judge it from a test ride. Compared to test riding a Honda ST or GL... yup the difference in the engine and drivetrain are obvious.

But after a few days of "this engine feels different", you realize it is just that ... it is just different than the Honda, and frankly it is not negative. It actually does better at low RPM torque than Honda's V4, and its weight and handling is night-and-day different, superior. While at speed, the BMW opposed-twin gives a slight different sensation than most other motorcycle engines when cranking open the throttle, different not worse. And, 99.9% of the miles are not WOT and mine was actually as smooth during long rides as my Honda ST13 was. It takes days and long rides to really 'get' the RT.

But a few detracting traits to me were the startup experience of the opposed twin, vibrations and 'bucket o bolts' sound that the engine makes when cold or idling, the clunky transmission (which worsens as it warms up and as oil gets older), and the lousy Bluetooth integration. The clunky tranny and lousy BT are the RT's shortfalls. They were the biggest detractors for me. [Looking at you BMW: Either drop BT entirely or do it right, and get the tranny gear shifts smoothed out!]. Simply, the opposed-twin engine traits aren't the bike's shortcoming.

All of the above and so many more traits considered... the RT is a phenomenal machine, decades ahead of the Honda ST in so many ways. But it is different, and the rider has to 'get it', which doesn't happen on a test ride.

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
Was the K16 a new bike? I find it kinda funny that they would let you test it since the K16s can’t be sold right now due to stop sale with transmission shift fork problem. Local dealer here doesn’t even have them on the floor right now
It was a new K16, the grand America. Before I rode it the dealer mentioned I wouldn’t be able to actually buy one because of the recall. They are taking deposits on them though.

Really enjoying reading people’s perspectives on the BMW bikes, and as suspected an hour riding them doesn’t do them justice. There’s clearly enough of them on the road that they must be good fits for a lot of people. :)

It’s sad to me that getting a Goldwing test ride is near to impossible here ( compared to the complete ease of the BMW experience ), and maybe that’s partly why we see so many BMWs on the roads.

Thanks again everyone for the insights, fun reading after my test rides.

Top Bottom