Test Rode a Yamaha FJR and Royal Star Venture

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
I recently attended a motorcycle event that included the Yamaha factory demo rides. I signed up for the Venture and the FJR and was very impressed with both.

I had ridden the Kawasaki Voyager at their demo event a few months ago and felt a little underwhelmed. It wasn't bad by any means, but I was hoping for a bit more. Having recently ridden the Voyager, I was curious to see how the Venture felt. I'd never ridden one, but it also seemed like a tremendous bargain in the touring bike segment. I was very impressed with the Yamaha. Despite being about 400cc smaller than the Voyager, the V-4 delivers impressive power. It felt at least as strong as the Voyager. The bike handled very well and the V-4 produced less felt vibration than the V-twin of the Kawasaki. The seat was very comfortable as well. Obviously, a 15 mile test ride doesn't give you a full test of a touring bike, but based on what I saw, the Venture was a very nice ride.

I'd never ridden an FJR but was very curious to see what one of the ST's main competitors felt like on the road. It was also very impressive. It did feel a little quicker and a little lighter in the corners. Its a lot of fun to ride. On the sport-touring spectrum, it definitely leans further on the "sport" side than the ST does. However, it does give up some "touring" qualities in the process. Although the FJR was very smooth, it wasn't as smooth as my ST. Additionally, the fairing and windscreen do not provide the same level of wind protection as the ST. I'm pretty sure after a few hours on the super slab at interstate speeds I'd be more fatigued on the FJR than the ST. Of course, I also love the large side bags and extra fairing pocket on the ST for touring purposes. Having said that, the FJR is a very nice ride and I can easily see how someone would legitimately prefer the Yamaha over the Honda. They are both good enough that it really comes down to personal preference.

I'd never ridden an FJR but was very curious to see what one of the ST's main competitors felt like on the road. It was also very impressive. It did feel a little quicker and a little lighter in the corners. Its a lot of fun to ride. On the sport-touring spectrum, it definitely leans further on the "sport" side than the ST does. However, it does give up some "touring" qualities in the process. Although the FJR was very smooth, it wasn't as smooth as my ST. Additionally, the fairing and windscreen do not provide the same level of wind protection as the ST. I'm pretty sure after a few hours on the super slab at interstate speeds I'd be more fatigued on the FJR than the ST. Of course, I also love the large side bags and extra fairing pocket on the ST for touring purposes. Having said that, the FJR is a very nice ride and I can easily see how someone would legitimately prefer the Yamaha over the Honda. They are both good enough that it really comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for posting.

I agree with your comments about the FJR being sportier and lighter than the ST. However, I wanted to add some comments about the wind protection and touring capabilities of the FJR. As with all bikes, it's relatively simple to modify the ST and FJR to suit your riding style / requirements. My FJR came with a Rifle windscreen with the tuning blocks, so I have not ridden with the stock windscreen. The protection I have with this setup gives me amazing protection and a very quiet ride. It's also far quieter than any windscreen I tried on the ST, and I tried many of them. I think the Rifle is definitely not as attractive as the stock one though and breaks up the natural lines of the bike!

While everyone agrees that the FJR falls more on the SPORT-touring spectrum, it's also pretty easy to tweak for day-long comfort. I have an after market triple clamp that makes my riding position very near what I had on my ST1300 with risers, and I find it very comfortable. I've also got freeway pegs, throttle lock, XM radio, etc. like I had on the ST, so long days in the saddle are great.

The FJR's saddlebags are definitely smaller than the STs though, and I do miss the extra space when I go on long trips. However, my wife rarely rides with me anymore, especially on multi-day trips, so it's not a major issue for me.

The ST's V4 is smoother than the FJRs I-4. in fact, the ST's V4 is probably the smoothest engine on the market. I would still classify the FJR as very smooth to the point where it's a non-issue for most riders.

Rick

The FJR IS a little lighter and a little quicker than the ST13. They are both the same age design-wise. I traded my ST for an FJR in '09 mainly because it is lighter and a touch smaller overall. The seat isn't good for longer trips and I put a Sargent on it right away. Also Helibars to shorten the reach to the handlebars. It became painfully (pun) obvious after a few four+hour days that my knees and back weren't going to reach an accomodation with the Yammi. As much fun as it was on a smooth twisty road, it didn't meet my touring requirements like the ST did. I don't ride two-up very often but the ST is way better at that. So my aching joints pleaded for a change. What to do - what to do...? Wait for Honda to reveal their next sport-tourer, if ever? Get another ST13? Or (no snarky comments please!) get a brand new R1200RT? Yep, that's me. All day comfy, light, great handling, plenty of power (not up to FJR or Kawi C14, of course). I'm lovin' it!

pete

nice reviews! I have 2 riding buddies who have ST1300s and I would really like to trade bikes with them for a bit. I had a V65 in the past I know I loved the V4 engine feel, but that was a 84 model.

I've riden several FJR's and can say the ST has the better wind protection of the two. One an other note, My buddy and I did a 5th gear roll on from 60mph. After a few seconds, the FJR simply walked away from the ST.

the FJR is a very nice ride and I can easily see how someone would legitimately prefer the Yamaha over the Honda.

Sort of like someone would legitimately prefer, say, Clemson over USC. :scared2:

(College football season starts soon!)

Very interesting about your take on the Venture. The one thing I disliked on my Voyager was the twin. One of the features I love on the ST is the v4. Does it run out similar to the ST?

Back
Top Bottom