Tested the tip over bars

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Yesterday I rode up to Mt Cheaha, AL with a group of riders.

As we were pulling into the parking lot I had to stop parallel to the hill. I got my left foot firmly on the ground, but the hill was steeper than what I realized. The bike started going over and I could not hold it up. The bike lay down on it's side and I rolled about 30 feet down the parking lot.

Lesson leaned: make sure that the bike is pointed at more of an uphill angle before stopping.

The tip over bars did their job. The left plastic cover and left mirror were scuffed, but other than that, no damage.

One thing that did help to make me feel better was that one rider parked his dresser, got off of the bike and it immediately fell over. 2 our of 16, not too bad.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Don't you just hate it when that happens? !!! :)

Glad you didn't suffer any injuries... (well except to your dignity!).

Mark

Bike
ST 1300
Watched a harley rider tip over yesterday when his buddy stopped short in front of him..went over to the crash bars...an older gentleman he lifted it back up by himself with great difficulty..then tried starting it and of course it wouldn't..I yelled over to him to turn the key off and let the computer reset from the bank angle indicator which he did and it started right up..gave me a big wave and mouthed thank you..felt good I could help him out.

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Well it sure sounds like you deserved it! The TOA I mean, not the TO... LOL. Here you go!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry to hear that you have elevated to the next level and are no longer part of the group know to be able to "Keep It Up"! :rolleyes:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Welcome to the club!

There's quite a few of us who have similar tales to tell. Just about all of us found ourselves in that awakward position where you know you've past the point of no return and no matter what you do (or say), your ST is going down. That's usually followed by an, "OMG, I can't believe I didn't do more damage!"

John

Bike
ST 1300
Sorry to hear about the tip-over but glad the bars kept your bag from getting any damage and that you weren't injured.

Ride Safe,
bygdawg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yesterday I rode up to Mt Cheaha, AL with a group of riders.

As we were pulling into the parking lot I had to stop parallel to the hill. I got my left foot firmly on the ground, but the hill was steeper than what I realized. The bike started going over and I could not hold it up. The bike lay down on it's side and I rolled about 30 feet down the parking lot.

Lesson leaned: make sure that the bike is pointed at more of an uphill angle before stopping.

The tip over bars did their job. The left plastic cover and left mirror were scuffed, but other than that, no damage.

One thing that did help to make me feel better was that one rider parked his dresser, got off of the bike and it immediately fell over. 2 our of 16, not too bad.
Lots of us have done the same. Do you have the aftermarket tip over bars that bolt on the rear subframe? If you do I wonder when they hit the ground the bike tilts a bit down by the nose so the mirror cover then hits the ground. I have dropped my bike on both sides and the only part that touches the ground is the tip over wing. The mirrors didn't touch.

Bike
ST 1300
I'm curious as well. In all of the test that I've done, I've never seen one hit the mirror. See the pictures via the link below:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14622

You'll notice that it one of the pictures that I'm actually putting pressure on the front end trying to get it to hit the mirror. However, I have seen cases where the impact is so hard that the mirror pops off and is damages. I think sometimes this is the result of not having the mirror installed properly. I have never had mine pop off during a drop test. Of course, crashes at speed can do odd things, but I understand this to be just a general tip over. The rear bars are designed to hit the ground at the same time as the front bars so as to provide an even distribution of impact.

OP
OP
Road Dust
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I have only the stock tip over bars, not the rear aftermarket.

I was on a steep hill and I believe that the mirror was scuffed when the bike first went down. If I remember correctly, the mirror was not touching the ground when we picked it back up.

STOC #
Been there, done that. Badly scuffed the mirror cover and smashed the actual mirror, all while standing still after pulling in to park on a steep hill. Lesson learned: always park pointing slightly left of dead center facing up the hill. Employ sidestand with bike in gear, killing engine. Lean over onto sidestand, and gracefully dismount as if you know what you're doing. Remember to turn off ignition and take key with you.

Top Bottom