The best battery for your ST

ON the subject of batteries. Just this weekend my bike wouldn't crank after leaving the ignition/headlights on for about 5-10 minute while talking to someone. Got it home and fully charged with battery tender (no warning lights on the tender). Started right up as normal. I tested it again by leaving lights on for 10 minutes and ..... no crank. Charged back up and good to go. I don't know how much current the ignition/lights would draw. Do you think this is normal or do I have a bad cell? thanks.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I would suspect the battery. I basically have the same issue, charged battery to something like 12.7 volts this year and it drops like a stone when you hit the start button. Last season it was OK but would need a boost/charge if it sat for 2 weeks. Don't know how old the battery is so new one was ordered last week.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I can use my compressor to top off the tires with the key/lights on, engine switch off, and still start with no problem.

My ST sits under cover outdoors, no charger or tender, and starts up every spring as if it was ridden the day before.

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
ON the subject of batteries. Just this weekend my bike wouldn't crank after leaving the ignition/headlights on for about 5-10 minute while talking to someone. Got it home and fully charged with battery tender (no warning lights on the tender). Started right up as normal. I tested it again by leaving lights on for 10 minutes and ..... no crank. Charged back up and good to go. I don't know how much current the ignition/lights would draw. Do you think this is normal or do I have a bad cell? thanks.
That is exactly what mine did. I had ridden the bike for two full hours at 60+ mph and then left the lights on for about 5-10 minutes and it was dead as a doornail. Consequently, it started very easily with just a walking pace push from my buddies and a clutch drop in 2nd gear.

This leads me to I conclude that:
  1. the ST1300 is a very efficient and reliable bike with good ignition & EFI systems and an effective starter - so it doesn't need to crank very much to light-off;
  2. the battery does not have much extra capacity - so if it is below a certain threshold, you are NOT going to go without a boost or a push;
  3. the margin between an easy start and a definite no-start is very very small indeed.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Charged back up and good to go. I don't know how much current the ignition/lights would draw. Do you think this is normal or do I have a bad cell? thanks.
Which ST do you have? The 1100 has a little bigger battery than the 1300. So yes it's normal if you have a 1300. I've run into that a couple of times – 10min and it's time for a bump start or downhill roll.

the battery does not have much extra capacity - so if it is below a certain threshold, you are NOT going to go without a boost or a push;
Now that I'm all LED'ed (except for the position lights) I can probably go as long as 12min before bumpin' up!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I tested it again by leaving lights on for 10 minutes and ..... no crank.
Oh and... Don't do that. :D

I was introduced to the short reserve of the 1300's battery while wiring up some side markers to replace the rear reflectors. On/Off... On/Off... Wiring check... On/Off... On/Off... Then some admiration time... On/Off... All of 10min IGN On throughout the process.

Next morning heading out for work part way down a decline driveway it wouldn't start. At that moment there was no charger or tender available so the only option was to roll it down a steep hill to a valley between two steep hills. I really hoped it would start. It did.

Which ST do you have? The 1100 has a little bigger battery than the 1300. So yes it's normal if you have a 1300. I've run into that a couple of times – 10min and it's time for a bump start or downhill roll.

Now that I'm all LED'ed (except for the position lights) I can probably go as long as 12min before bumpin' up!
2005 ST 1300. Thanks for the insight

Thanks for this thread. The battery for my 2006 ST1300 is dead/dead so I was in the market. The closest Honda et al. dealership is 42 miles away, but I happened to be nearby so I stopped in. They had a battery but they wanted $226.00 for it. I didn't buy it!

So thank you for other options.

I tend to ride all year. Will I need to find a battery with more CCA for a ST1300? I know my CTX700 wouldn't start under 30° F without a jump while my NT700 started in temps down to 17°F with no problem.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Seems like my Yuasa is going back for my 07 1300, it’s lasted a few years, long enough to lose track, but anyway—-
Has anyone tried one of these? Mighty Max Battery YTZ14S 230CCA Gel Battery for Honda ST1300 ABS (2003-2012). For $44!! On Amazon.

Pumper

Speaking about batteries. I too called Yuasa and asked how long a dry battery's shelf life is, and he said no problem, wet it. He then proceeded to tell me about taking the competition's batteries and charge them a certain way. Nothing special, but they first let the acid soak for a least an hour. then fully charge the batteries. Place a load on them and run them down to about a volt and then recharge it. Done a third time and now it's ready for service.

He continued to tell me how to charge it. In other words, yes, you can throw a car amp charger at it, but be careful about it getting too hot. So basically I took the plunge and got 9 years out of another brand battery. The shelf life battery hardly had a charge on it and I let it sit till I sold it 6 years later. Still light right off when the new buyer came to see it.

My procedure was to buy the right battery charger. So if the battery is a 12N14a, you move the decimal point over one to the right, and you now need at least a 1.4a rated battery charger, charged for literally 14 hours. That's the formula. I then took both a high beam and a brake light bulb and let it slowly die out to 1 or 2v and recharged it; repeated 2 more times, and then put in the bike. Dielectric greased everything.

This time I just wet and charged. The triple charge always read 12.7-128v static. This one reads 12.4v static. I guess I learned my lesson.

Top Bottom