The Best TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System)

Northern Dancer

Northern-Dancer
Bike
ST1300PA Police
I have been using the Doran TPMS for years on my 4 Motorcycles and last year they stopped supporting them. Seems they had the Company that made their Circuit Boards go out of business. Reasons I liked them so much was they had a Large Very Bright RED Light powered by the Motorcycle that warned you of impending disaster should your Tire Pressure suddenly drop even a small amount, I always located this Alert RED LED in or part of my Dash display.

Plus the TPMS Monitor was also powered by the Motorcycle Electrical System and actually showed the Pressure on each Tire and would display these Pressures should the Motorcycle be idle overnight or longer period. The OEM Pressure Monitoring Systems pretty all require that the Vehicles be operational with Tires rotating a certain RPM before they would turn on. (This is to save the Battery Life)

I want to know what my Tire Pressure is in my Garage before I leave not down the Road! This brought the biggest problem with the Doran TPMS as their Batteries would fail sooner as they are always active. So I always had to remove them over the Winter to double the Battery life as with no tire pressure being detected they would turn off. Also another problem with their superior system was the Batteries were not replaceable and we were forced to buy replacement Senders complete at a very high cost.

So using tips from another Goldwing Club Member I devised a Method to cut open the Doran Senders (With Dermal Tool), replace the CR2032 Battery then reseal with HPD Extra Thick Maxi-Cure Cyanoacryylate and HPD Accelerator INSTA-SET Spray. Luckly I had hept my old Failed Doran Sending Units (26 to be exact).

Now thinking I am OK for another 3 Years I am finding about half of my repaired Senders are having minor leaks primarily because of material removed when cutting the Units with the Dermal Tool. These can be repaired by coating the tops of the Sending Units with Maxi-Cure but this covers the Special Code Number unique to each Sender Unit needed to synchronize with the Monitor Unit.

Finding it a lot of precise work to be able to keep repairing these units and in the future losing even more material each time I use the Dermal.

So my next project is using these CR2032 Coin Button Battery Holder Socket Plastic Cell Round Battery Case Cover Wire Leads Cable Type with ON/Off Switch (10 of Pack) $17.90 Canadian Dollars (Even Cheaper in USA) Available from Amazon. I will be able seal up the Doran Sending Units with just the wires exposed and attaching these Battery Holders. Since they are made to hold 2 CR2032 Batteries in series giving 6 Volt Output, I can reduce the Output to needed 3 Volts by inserting a Dime Coin in place of the bottom CR2032 Battery. Yes these CR2032 Coin Button Holder have Screw on Lids to easily replace Batteries and with the Off/On Slide Switch the Batteries are spared during winter. To keep these units water proof as the Switch has small opening I will be using Dielectric Paste.

Northern Dancer,

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I hope all your effort works out. My TPMS shows my pressures as I back out of the garage, or at least by the end of my driveway. My display lasts several weeks on one charge when commuting and several days when riding all day. The sensor batteries last about a year, and are easily found at most convenience stores. For the cost ($50), simplicity of install and use, the slight delay in the display update is not a deal breaker for me.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Got the Hawks Head TPMS on all 4 of my ST1100s and one of their products on my wife's RV. Same results as Paul - very pleased with the system. I also have a Rupse system - which is the same head with slightly larger caps and a greatly reduced price. ;)

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I've got the FOBO system on my Dirt Ninja, and have bought it for my Wing but I don't have appropriate valve stems mounted yet. I bought the FOBO "T" valve stems so I can add air without removing the cap. FOBO transmits to an app on my phone. I wanted to be sure I would hear any alarm. I listen to music through my iPhone with Etymotic ear buds. If it didn't go through the phone I likely wouldn't hear it.

That is critically important on the Dirt Ninja because I sealed the rims (OUTEX) to eliminate the tube, and the front wheel does not have a safety bead.

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have the Spy/GENSSI/Cyclops system on both bikes, with the display constantly powered (when bike on) via USB.

I also have T-valves on the ST, and in my opinion, they're a must with TPMS systems.

1594593803533.png

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Like oil, batteries, and for that matter, anything else out there, beauty, or 'the best' is in the eye of the beholder. I have Fobo on my ST and Hawkshead on my VStrom, and I like both. Each has its +'s and -'s. Based on what you have told us about the Doran TPMS, I think this thread is misnamed, it should be 'The Worst TPMS' - but that's only my opinion. What makes this forum great is different strokes for different folks.

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
STacy uses the Garmin TPMS with her Garmin GPS. Her rider keeps her on the center stand and he rotates the front and rear tires a spin or two while she's warming up. She finds that the Garmin TPMS system goes through batteries about every six months depending on the quality of the Chinese batteries her rider buys. Anyway, OP, that's what system STacy uses. Cheers...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
STacy uses the Garmin TPMS with her Garmin GPS...
I also use the Garmin TPMS sensors, which pair up with the Garmin 390 / 395 and 590 / 595, but unfortunately not comparable with the new Zumo XT. I'm quite happy with the Garmin system.

It is a more expensive solution than some of the stand-alone TPMS devices, but if you already own one of the above-mentioned Garmin navigators, it's a very quick and easy way to add tire pressure monitoring. The Garmin system won't display pressure when you first power it up (sitting in the garage), but it will display pressures after the motorcycle has traveled about 50 feet.

Michael

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I've had several systems, the Doran was a fave except for having to buy those sensors, hated to part with it. Went to Hawkshead/Rupse, that is a good system too where one now does not need any wires, and those displays last forever before needing a charge. I'm not a Fobo fan, while good, don't want to be addicted to phone apps or even mounting my phone on the bike. I bought a Steelhead (Chinese) system, wired display and it works well, constantly tells you pressures... I don't necessarily care about temperatures or "over-pressures", I mostly want to know if my pressures are low or falling.
I bought a Chinese Fobo-like system, but had trouble pairing the sensors, plus found the app had "tracking" with a wee map you can see on your phone... we need this like why? And with phone apps, you sometimes have to wonder who is collecting data and why. Google, et al get enough as it is.... I'm not playing if I can help it.
Recently bought another Chinese system, two different types of display, wireless, got one of each... 2" square, constantly displays pressures/temps. One has a solar panel to alledgedly keep the display charged... not necessary as both have USB ports to charge, and the displays also seem to last a while. They are cheaper than Rupse, but I'll say don't let that stop you from buying a Rupse, it is still one of the better ones and is very reliable.
As for the warning, funny how you can still hear what one would think is a not-so-loud beeping if it goes off, and if you set your low pressure to a "warning, I'm not in danger yet" pressure, no worries. Even if you miss the beeping for a bit, you're still OK with slower leakers (never had a catastrophic blowout, I think that would be more rare).

Bike
2010 ST1300
Even if you miss the beeping for a bit, you're still OK with slower leakers (never had a catastrophic blowout, I think that would be more rare).
With a catastrophic blowout, you will be dealing with the bike and ignoring the beeping/lights from the TPMS. In ground school, they taught us to 'aviate, navigate, communicate' in that order in case of a problem. If you don't fly the plane, you crash, and all else is a waste of time. A TPMS is a good warning for anything short of a sudden deflation.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
The Garmin system won't display pressure when you first power it up (sitting in the garage), but it will display pressures after the motorcycle has traveled about 50 feet.
I was considering these. That sounds inconvenient

Last edited:

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
+1 on the Spy unit. I have mine on Hawkshead T’s and so far, knock on wood, I’m very pleased. They synch up by the time I’m on the road, which works for me.

Before I realized I needed to raise the upper temperature and pressure settings, I had an alarm on a ride. Pressure went over the upper threshold and it started beeping and flashing.

Even with a Nolan N91 all closed up and custom earplugs, I could hear the beeping, however faint. It certainly could be louder and brighter but I still couldn’t miss it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You need to know before you start rolling
This is my preference. I have the FOBO kit and like it because for the above sentiment and that the warning plays through my Sena - audible at any speed. Posh riders with full circle driveways have it easy.

That said I also like the display of the Hawks Head kit. If it gave the info with key on instead of kicking tires/rolling/driving off I'd be very tempted to switch. If the HH and FOBO could use the same sensors simultaneously I'd have 'em both. If it did that and talked to my Sena there'd be no doubt.

It's nice to hear the warning in the Sena when ambient noise might otherwise mask a display's audible warning. It would also be nice to glance down on occasion just to see that all is ok or possibly catch a leak before it triggers an alarm.

Since there can be only one I went with the FOBO because I'll check the tire pressure before I move the bike and then not think about it unless and until I get an alarm. I do like a nice display though Gromit.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I was considering these. That sounds inconvenient [the Garmin unit not displaying pressure until the moto starts moving]
Hi Jeff:

It's actually not a problem at all. The Garmin won't give you any messages at all about tire pressures unless it detects that one of the sensors is not connected (in other words, no report from the sensor once the GPS detects motorcycle motion), or unless one of the sensors detects low pressure. You can, however, view the tire pressure at any time (once moving) by pressing one button on the GPS touch-screen.

Over the years, I have found that when I get a low-pressure report immediately after starting the first ride of the day, it's because the pressure is 1 PSI below the threshold I have set (I run pressures at 42 PSI on my 1300, and have the alert threshold set to 40 PSI). That's not a critically low level for safety - so I can then either roll back into the garage and top up from my compressor (if I am at home) or ride to a service station and top up there (if I am travelling).

On two occasions, I have had punctures on the road, and the system has immediately (within 100 feet of the puncture) reported the pressure loss.

Michael

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Question(s) ST Gui, for a real-world user, I had asked a couple of FOBO owners if indeed that pressure is displayed without moving the bike, or is it a previously "last known before the sensors went to sleep" kind of reading. I was told one had to move the bike/wake the sensors up to get the true reading..... certainly if the sensors are always transmitting and that initial reading is correct, that is the most convenient of all. If so, then FOBO is likely the only one doing that. Also curious how long before you have to replace sensor batteries. Asking for a friend, lol.
Additional.... can I pair more than one pair of sensors if I have two or more bikes? How will I get notification if I do not have phone paired to a headset... suppose phone in the tank bag might scream at me, which might be OK if loud enough.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Question(s) ST Gui, for a real-world user, I had asked a couple of FOBO owners if indeed that pressure is displayed without moving the bike, or is it a previously "last known before the sensors went to sleep" kind of reading. I was told one had to move the bike/wake the sensors up to get the true reading..... certainly if the sensors are always transmitting and that initial reading is correct, that is the most convenient of all. If so, then FOBO is likely the only one doing that. Also curious how long before you have to replace sensor batteries. Asking for a friend, lol.
Additional.... can I pair more than one pair of sensors if I have two or more bikes? How will I get notification if I do not have phone paired to a headset... suppose phone in the tank bag might scream at me, which might be OK if loud enough.
I believe it reads continually. I think that because I've gotten breach alarms while sitting in my living room with the bike in the garage.

I have not replaced batteries.

The app lets you put in multiple vehicles. I've added the GW but haven't paired the sensors yet.

It works through an app that is phone or tablet based. If you aren't listening to something on your phone or tablet while riding, this isn't the system for you.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
+1 for the Hawkshead I can switch it between bikes as far as checking in the garage I use my pressure gage the monitor keeps me up to date while on the road. It warns of slow leaks or a sudden loss of pressure. You can change the batteries and the head unit hold a charge for a very long time and I can plug it in using a usb charger while on the road should I need to.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I believe it reads continually. I think that because I've gotten breach alarms while sitting in my living room with the bike in the garage.

I have not replaced batteries.

The app lets you put in multiple vehicles. I've added the GW but haven't paired the sensors yet.

It works through an app that is phone or tablet based. If you aren't listening to something on your phone or tablet while riding, this isn't the system for you.
I can add to that, it reads continuously. Also it monitors all of the sensors it can simultaneously. Set a pair as the bike and a pair as the trailer on another profile and it'll monitor all 4 actively while you are riding.

I do believe it will flash a pop-up on the home screen if you are not actively listening for the audio.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Thanks guys! That's pretty good it reads continously, saves me waking mine up (roll the bike and wait). Multiple bikes, also kool. I'll bet you can set an audible alarm in the app's notification settings..... I'll mount the phone.... if I really have to, LOL.
The other thing is, FOBO can be had for $100. I don't know anyone who has said anything bad about it.

Top Bottom