The Comeback

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
When I retired at the age of 49, I was in best health of my life. I was thin, ran half marathon in 1:44, and the day I filled out my retirement papers, I was sent to the dept physican for a final physical. The dept had medical records on me going back 26 years.
The doc told me if everyone was like me, he'd go outta business. He signed off on the paperwork and I was good to go. I had the numbers of a 18 year he advised.

Flash forward 6 years later, and I was 40 lbs from my retirement weight, maybe more. I was afraid to get on the scale. Starting sometime in 2007, I just quit working out, and when you do that the rest follows, like a bad diet.

I took a part time job, driving a 6 wheel delivery truck. Not hard work, but lots irregular sleep patterns, and a year of road food. I ate fast food (love it) when on the road etc. A year later I had paid heavy for those indiscreations. Thankfully the job played out.

I knew my blood pressure was up, I could feel it, and I was pretty sure all the other numbers were also. What was suppose to be up was down, and whatever was suppose to down was down.

"If I don't do something, I'm gonna hafta to go to see the doc and let him put me on medications." I didn't want that. I've never took meds before in my life, and to go on BP med, high cholestrol med etc would be like giving in.

Spring was on the scene. Riding season. Long riding and fitness just don"t mix. Hours in the saddle, fast food, and lots of desserts, with little time for running, although in 2005-2007 I managed to run a few days while riding cross country. I loved being able to run 4-6 miles after a 4-500 mile day. But bringing my running stuff took up a lot of room, and was a hassle.

Many of y'all were planning long rides, but I had to make a call. I wanted to get back in shape, but I could not take 3 weeks off, and lose control of my diet and exercise. On the road you sometimes lose control of what and where you eat.

I told Debbie, "I'm going to spend the summer getting back in shape, or at least get headed in the right direction. I want my life back. I won't be taking any long tours." And that's what I did.

June 1 found me on a local road I used for my 10 mile runs, but that day I was just going to run 2. Or try to. I knew it would be hard, but I had no idea. By .25 mile I was walking, and the rest of the 2 miles all I could do was run awhile, walk awhile.

If there is one thing I know, its how to train. I've been doing it since I was 25. I've run marathons and every race in between. In my prime, when I "toed the line," I was gonna finish in the top 5% of the field. In my last half marathon (13.1 miles) I finished in the top 15%, not bad for a 50 year old.

But that was then, this is now. I knew it would get better if I just stayed with it. So I went on a 1200 calorie diet, and kept at. My only goal being able to run the 2 miles without walking. It took me several weeks but I did it.

Now with summer fading, I'm up to 6 miles, and 25 miles on my bicycle, but still not where I wanna be. I'm still a few months away from being able to train, which is distinctly different from just running. I'm also down 35 lbs, but stilll 25 lbs over my race weight.

I can't really run more miles till I get off this diet, I don't have the fuel to run 10 miles on 1200 calories, but right now the focus is losing weight, once I do that the running will follow.

I'll say this, it was fun getting outta shape! LOL

My BP is good now, but still not where it was on the day I retired. That day it was 114/66. I doubt if it will ever be that again, age is a factor, not much I can do about that. Not had my other numbers checked, I'm gonna do that when I get where I want, probably sometime around Christmas.

For me I had to bottom out, before climbing out. That rings true for most of us.

I'll never be as fast as I was in my 20s or heck even 6 years ago. My maxiumum heart rate is 185, thats redline, just like the STs. The max for a 25 year old is about 222. That means he can cruise at 195 or 200, which is max for me. I can only cruise around 160 in a 6 mile race, and on a training run around 140. I train with a high tech watch that tracks all that.

Each year, guys like us lose a couple beats of max. There is a big difference in cardiac output in old and young. But what a guy can do is push back the clock, and get all you can outta what you currently have.

How has the affected my riding? Well the Honda is in the garage bad tires, and 2 year battery dead as dirt. That has never happened before. I use to ride several afternoons a week, but now those afternoons are spent running or on my trek. Perhaps the cooler weather will give me more options, and I can ride before lunch and run in the afternoons.

I've spent my discretionary income not on my motorcycles, but running and training gear. High tech garmin GPS heart rate watch, shoes, gym membership so I can get on the treamill when its 100 outside, and money to get the Trek back road worthy after a 3 year lay off.

The only thing I ever loved as much as riding is running. Whenever I focus on one, the other suffers. I have missed long riding dearly. I think about the places I've been and the joy of being far from home on a long ride. But right now, I need to do this.

My hope is once I get to where I want, I can afford to take a few weeks to go on a ride. My plan is to run a half in Feb, take a couple weeks off when its done, and go for a ride. Comeback and begin another training buildup pointing to a race in June. When that is in the books I can take another ride while I recharge.

I'm looking forward to the Blue Ridge to see my old friends. But it has been good renewing friendships I've made in the running community.

By October I'll have been running almost everyday for 4 months, I'll be due for a few days off, before coming home to begin the final push to the half marathon. Of course all this depends on if nothing breaks, like a muscle or joint.

So that's what I've been doing, why y'all were out riding :( But the effort has been worth it. I have closet full of nice clothes been able to wear, and getting back in them has been fun, and I feel much better. But I won't feel like a runner till I do that 10 mile run on that road what whipped me doing 2.

Good for you for addressing the issue head on.. Very tough to do but sounds like you're doing a good job.

I didn't need to read a health-recovery story the day after I attended the state-fair. I've got cheese-curd overload today, and I haven't gone for a run in over two weeks.

As annoying as it is, it's inspiring enough to make me rethink my priorities.

Good on you Guy! It takes a lot of will power to do what you've done. I need to make myself exercise more..

Good for you! The bike will be there when you're ready.
Weird how when you're training you need to do it when you're getting back into it you hate to do it.

Years ago after a long lay off riding a bicycle 10miles thru a neighborhood killed me. By the end of the season a century was fun. The 1st few weeks were hard to stay motivated. Which reminds me I'm about 25 over fight'n weight.

Thanks for sharing Guy.

Here we where discussing car tires and you have been out working on your spare tire! Keep it up!

That is a great story on how to take a problem head on and make a plan to fix it! As you know good things will come from all of this work, and you know to take it slow. Best of luck in the future and thank you for sharing!!

Glad to know you decided to make the changes needed to live.
Now go put a new battery in both bikes, SeaFoam the gasoline and let those bikes sit until you're where you want to be.

(okay, you probably deserve all the little breaks you can fit in too...)

Congrats Guy and I hope to meet you on the road again.

Mark

The Yuasa in the Honda is only 2 years old. I've recharged it 2-3 times but it won't hold charge. I can't ride it much, because the tires are toast. The RT is good to go,and I do manage to get it out once a week. But I miss riding the Honda, but I spent the money last few months on other stuff instead of tires for the ST.

This has not been easy, previous comebacks have been quicker, but I was younger and not as far down as this time. The year I spent on my little job driving that truck really took a toll. I can see now why you don't see old truck drivers.

The biggest thing is you have to change the state of mind. What made/makes it so hard for me, was the fact I knew how effortless running was, and now it was something akin to a rack. Those first 2 weeks almost killed me. My 2 mile run was a out and back course or on the treadmill. It took a couple weeks just to make it to the turnaround without stopping, and from there I concentrated on making it back. It took a month before I could do the 2 miles nonstop. The pace was 13 min per mile, but I was satisfied just going the distance, "once I can do the distance, the pace will improve, just keep working."

Now I'm doing 6 around 10 min mile. The human body is a amazing machine, it will adapt to what it is you want to do, if you do it smartly. Right now my focus is on weight reduction not training. That means I can't replenish all the calories I burn. It is a fine balance, to eat just enough to get through the run, at the same time burn wt off. Running makes a joker hungry. The body says, " look here, he's doing something that is burning up calories, so I'm gonna eat more, I'm gonna throw out more signals its time to eat." It is called compensation. I recognized it for what it was, and try to manage it. Somedays I don't get it right, and have a run I can't finish. Just outta fuel and have to walk back to the start. It happens, you set it aside and go on to the next day.

I try not to be overly obsessive about eating. I spend my 1200 calories sometimes wisely sometimes not. Even when I'm training hard, I take one day a week and back off, usually on Saturdays. On that day I might eat some pizza, or a few ounces of steak, drink a coke, maybe even a burger. It helps keep you sane.

My story is not finishsed, I still have a long way to go, but I've reached that point where you KNOW you're gonna do it. That's a good feeling.

Top Bottom