The Sports Car Thread...

My sons, James and David, loved it when I bought an Infiniti G35 back in 2003. I taught David how to drive a manual transmission in the G35 at his high school parking lot. The Nissan V6 engine was awesome. Turning off the traction control in the twisties was a good way to end up in a ditch!

2003_06_017.JPG

People joking about people who drive Volvo Station Wagons have obviously never been in a Volvo 850R wagon. The high pressure turbo linked to the inline transversely mounted 5 cylinder produced 245 Hp. I bought one in the last year it was produced in 1996. It was an awesome car to drive but it ate up front tires!

1997_04_001.JPG

(As you can see, I have a thing about red cars!)

More red cars!

In 1980, when I first arrived in Canada, I had a VW Golf GTI

1983_008.jpg

31 years later, I bought a second GTI. Loved those hot hatchbacks!

2011_03_0107.jpg

People joking about people who drive Volvo Station Wagons have obviously never been in a Volvo 850R wagon. The high pressure turbo linked to the inline transversely mounted 5 cylinder produced 245 Hp. I bought one in the last year it was produced in 1996. It was an awesome car to drive but it ate up front tires!

Underrated cars, those 850R's. All of the R models were underrated, to be honest.

The non-R turbo I5's are fun too, plenty enough motor to have fun with... We really enjoy our under the radar dark blue S60 and black C70. I wasn't brave enough to go with red... hahahah

We had a Volvo turbo 5 cyl wagon. Had a blown head gasket when we bought it (used), but couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I used a lot of oil. I took it to a Volvo dealer. They couldn't diagnose it; they said it needed a new engine. Finally compression blew into the cooling system and it was obvious what it was. My wife lost confidence in it and we traded it in on a Cabrio. It was a nice car though.

Well, I joined the Miata Madness with a 2013 PRHT GT. It had 5,900 miles on it. I tried but could not resist this one. It is a 1 owner bought new and traded to the same dealer. The owner bought several new Subarus from them over the years, but always kept the Miata and brought it in annually for maintenance (which amounted to 900 mile oil changes). There is not even any dust on the engine or the top of the frame rails. The mileage is evenly distributed at about 900 miles per year.

miata1-S.jpg

miata3-S.jpg

Well, I joined the Miata Madness with a 2013 PRHT GT. It had 5,900 miles on it. I tried but could not resist this one. It is a 1 owner bought new and traded to the same dealer. The owner bought several new Subarus from them over the years, but always kept the Miata and brought it in annually for maintenance (which amounted to 900 mile oil changes). There is not even any dust on the engine or the top of the frame rails. The mileage is evenly distributed at about 900 miles per year.

miata1-S.jpg

miata3-S.jpg
Wow... you don't see any w/that low mileage. And, you got one of the rare colors in the Dolphin Grey. :thumb:

Very nice. A hardtop convertible is the way to go.
That is what kept me out of the new ones. I didn't want a ragtop because most of the miles will be top up, and the retractable fastback was more or less a targa top. The NC fit me better as well. The NC and ND were about equivalent in legroom and headroom, but the ND was claustrophobic with the door panel touching my shoulder and the windshield only a new inches from my head. If there was a PRHT on the new ones, it would have been more difficult. Doesn't hurt that the one I bought was about 50% less money.

I wanted the Miata hardtop, but my wife insisted I get a convertible with a back seat. I got the Lexus. My daughter and her friend both rode in the back seat one time. They probably could have made it work if one had sat in the front and the other one in the back. It must have been unbearable because I never had to pick her up again. At least the Lexus was cheaper, and with mods, does pretty well.

I wanted the Miata hardtop, but my wife insisted I get a convertible with a back seat. I got the Lexus. My daughter and her friend both rode in the back seat one time. They probably could have made it work if one had sat in the front and the other one in the back. It must have been unbearable because I never had to pick her up again. At least the Lexus was cheaper, and with mods, does pretty well.

My 2021 4 door sports car. 3 sport with 2.5l 6 speed manual shift. Not fast,but quick & fun.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

That looks fantastic! I wouldn't have resisted either. Congrats!

Auto or manual?

My "Sports Sedan." 2017 RS7, a very hot hatchback that is surprisingly practical, except for when it is time to replace tires and/or brakes! Shown here on the Dragon.

Audi RS7 John small.jpgAudi RS7 John small.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I wanted a sports car, but something happened between 1967 when I sold my Spitfire and modern times. Either cars got smaller or I grew. After going through my seabag........whewwwww.......cough, cough....it was me. Remembering my earlier experiences with a Lotus Seven I knew the S2000 wasn't for me. I had gone through MG's and Sprites and finally the Spitfire, but always wanted a Seven kit. In 1965 I finally saw a Seven in person and I got in with no real effort, but getting out with the top up was another thing. Falling out of the car and walking on my hands while trying to disengage my feet didn't seem like a good deal. And, YES, I'm jealous as hell of Lee.

Back
Top Bottom