Throttle problem

I have been told that running your tank down to near empty makes the pump run really hot and might be the reason for failure
I had the same habit, running the fuel level down below the sensor, i.e. flashing bars It means the fuel pump is exposed and no longer 'cooled' by the fuel.

Hence the problem only occuring for me on low fuel level, on hot days.

Just another data point.

Andy

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I had the same habit, running the fuel level down below the sensor, i.e. flashing bars It means the fuel pump is exposed and no longer 'cooled' by the fuel.

Hence the problem only occuring for me on low fuel level, on hot days.

Just another data point.

Andy
I'm one of those troublemakers that also likes to run the tank down to where the fuel indicator is flashing. One thing to keep in mind though is that the thermocouple sensor sits above the fuel pump. I'd bet that you would need to run over forty miles to get to the point where all of the fuel pump is exposed to air instead of gas.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Thanks. I have the same problem and I think ya'll just give me my solution. I will know in a few days. My bike currently has around 131,500 miles, its been pretty much problem free. Thanks again.

Bike
04 ST1300
This is my first post. I have a 2004 ST1300 with 10.5K miles. I bought it about 1.5 years ago with 2.5K miles on it. I has obviously sat during its life. On occasion I have noticed extremely minor hesitation at highway speeds after it got very warmed up. About 3 months ago it began violently bucking on a ride at highway speeds. I stopped and put some moisture burning additive in the tank thinking that was the problem. That seemed to fix it. Most recently I rode from St Pete Fl to Montgomery Al. About 100 miles into the ride the bucking came back. I stopped at 2 dealers along the way and they both thought it was rust in my tank. I am very skeptical. Given it happens under the same circumstances. Always after the bike is super hot and at highway speeds around 85. Based on the posts here I am thinking about going directly to replacing the fuel pump. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is my first post. I have a 2004 ST1300 with 10.5K miles. I bought it about 1.5 years ago with 2.5K miles on it. I has obviously sat during its life. On occasion I have noticed extremely minor hesitation at highway speeds after it got very warmed up. About 3 months ago it began violently bucking on a ride at highway speeds. I stopped and put some moisture burning additive in the tank thinking that was the problem. That seemed to fix it. Most recently I rode from St Pete Fl to Montgomery Al. About 100 miles into the ride the bucking came back. I stopped at 2 dealers along the way and they both thought it was rust in my tank. I am very skeptical. Given it happens under the same circumstances. Always after the bike is super hot and at highway speeds around 85. Based on the posts here I am thinking about going directly to replacing the fuel pump. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
It 'sounds' like a bad fuel pump. Others have had some similar experiences. Also, some have lifted the tank and pulled the air box and found mice had gotten into that area near the throttle bodies and messed up some of the wiring but that usually resulted in a pretty constant issue, not typically what you're describing.

Bike
04 ST1300
Thats what I am thinking. Instead of being off my bike for weeks/months while the dealer tries to trouble shoot it I think I will jump directly to the pump. It is at the dealer now and scheduled t be looked at Tuesday. I will let you know. Thanks for the input.

v8-7

Site Supporter
Hi Al,
If the dealer doesn't get it sorted out and hasn't replaced the fuel pump, I have a spare fuel pump we can throw in to your bike .

If you can ride it down here, the R&R should take 30 minutes.

Just make sure to run down the fuel level. ~ 250 miles off a full tank of fuel will do it .

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #
I am betting on fuel pump, since I have already been there done that. My replacement pump haa been flawless now for 2 years and roughly 30K miles.

Bike
04 ST1300
Thats awesome info thanks for all the suggestions. I am stationed in Alabama at the moment so thanks V8-7 for the offer but I cant take you up on it. I think I will swap out the pump. I will probably try the one suggested by TomS.T. I am not particularly mechanically inclined but like to tinker and save money. Is the fuel filter part of the pump assembly? Does anyone have a step by step guide for the swap out. Is it hard and or time consuming? Thanks again.

Bike
04 ST1300
I would be happy to buy the OEM pump. Is there a source that is usually best to deal with? How would I go about locating a member in my area?

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #
The Honda replacement pump is really easy to install. It takes less than 30 minutes and requires no special tools. I bought my pump from Service Honda.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I would be happy to buy the OEM pump. Is there a source that is usually best to deal with? How would I go about locating a member in my area?
Here's the OEM fuel pump only from RonAyres
http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/260474
Part number 16730-MCS-G00 - $208
Gasket
http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/282540
Part number 17574-MN5-000 - $6

The best way to contact a member is to use the private message system, if you see a post by them click on their username and it will take you to their profile of a drop down with 'Private Message' will show up and you can send them a message. This gives them some time to reply and/or give you a call when convenient.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I changed mine out with the airtex one. I had a rough idle issue and had looked at all the other possible causes and the fuel pump appears to have solved that.

It's pretty easy to do, once you have the fuel pump assembly out, it's pretty obvious what you have to do to disconnect and hook up the replacement. On mine had had to file the airtex plastic connection a hair as the inner tab was too big but after that it fit nicely.

I got a replacement gasket but when I tried using it it would not seal and would leak so I put the original one back on and it sealed just fine.

Bike
04 ST1300
Thanks for all the info. I am looking at ordering the part from service honda and doing it myself. I will try to find someone in the area willing to assist or that has some experience. I will let you know thanks again for the help.

v8-7

Site Supporter
The only gotcha is to be sure the wires do not get pinched in-between the lower tank flange and the flange on the fuel pump.

Bike
ST1300 (sold)
STOC #
It'll be the pump. I know because I just went through a year of inconvenience with my dealer, with them replacing almost everything on the bike (including the coolant overflow bottle!) before they got around to listening to my suggestion that I'd made a year earlier concerning the fuel pump. I have the extended warranty which is the only reason I waited on them. It was a bad experience, but I got a basically new machine with them replacing a great number of parts and systems.

If your people try the "singing and dancing" routine, let me know through PM, and I'll send you the contact info for the people at my shop, and I'll lean on them to do right by you with information. Good luck to you.

Cheers!
Bill

Top Bottom