Time for tires and contemplating costs

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
We have the Cycle Hill changer and it will do the job just fine. Enjoy changing your own tires.
I have put over 50 sets of tires on with mine so far. Have never had a problem. Practice makes perfect. Be sure to get a extra helping hand and a yellow thing. Putting a strap thru the spoke of the wheel and arm of changer will make sure wheel doesn't rotate...there I go running off at the keyboard again:rolleyes:

perk263

perkSTer
Bike
2004 ST 1300
Last edited:
Bike
ST1100
I bought a Harbor Freight changer with motorcycle adaptor for around $80.00. I have used it for 3-4 years without fail. I just built my own wheel balancer. I have less than $175.00 in everything including tire tools. The tires on the ST are by far the easiest I have changed. I use to use a saw-zaw to cut the rear tire off of my Warrior (200/50-17). Look up the SCUDMAN on you-tube to see how to change tires without a machine.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Well, I just ordered the No-Mar Classic Ultimate package and BT020 tires plus the Ariete stems for next week. I'm on vacation for 2 weeks and the wife wants to take a trip on the bike to Mystic, CT. I hope to have the new tires on by then but still need a few tools for the job. So, I'll be posting my tire changing services soon for the Boston area :)

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Congrats on the No-Mar :D You won't regret the purchase... Watch those videos on the No-Mar website many times and the change will be a breeze... Just make sure you have the wheel secure in the dog blocks and everything else is cake....

Just remember, If you're struggling with a tire....you missed something (probably need more lube).... ;)

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I ordered the tires from 2 Brothers and the changer from No-Mar on Tuesday and everything is here on Friday! Gotta love great customer service!!! I just picked up some tools for the job and need some grease from the STealer and I should be all set. I just gotta figure out if I want it in the garage or basement. My garage is for parking and my basement is my workshop, so it'll prolly be the basement. Enjoy the 4th!!! :chef2:

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I ordered the tires from 2 Brothers and the changer from No-Mar on Tuesday and everything is here on Friday! Gotta love great customer service!!! I just picked up some tools for the job and need some grease from the STealer and I should be all set. I just gotta figure out if I want it in the garage or basement. My garage is for parking and my basement is my workshop, so it'll prolly be the basement. Enjoy the 4th!!! :chef2:
One suggestion, watch the video on changing a Goldwing tire on the No-Mar site. The ST rear is a tough beastie, but not as tough as a 'Wing's. Knowing how to do the 'Wing rear will likely make handling the ST's rear easier.

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
One suggestion, watch the video on changing a Goldwing tire on the No-Mar site. The ST rear is a tough beastie, but not as tough as a 'Wing's. Knowing how to do the 'Wing rear will likely make handling the ST's rear easier.
I did watch all of the videos at least once. The folks at No-Mar said I shouldn't need any other accessories like spoons to get the BT020 off/on, so I didn't buy anything else...we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It doesn't hurt to have some spoons on hand. I tried the no mar spoons but they were too thick for me, I tried the motion pro spoons and they work great. The rear 020 is a bear.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
There's some good info here and an excellent mount/demount bar. You'll have to decide cost to benefit, but if you're only going to change tires once a year or so, nothing wrong with the Harbor Freight if you upgrade it a bit IMHO.
http://www.no-scufftiretool.com/

For all you guys having problems with stiff rear tires, buy some cheap ratcheting woodworking clamps (12") and squeeze your tires so they will fit in the valley of the wheel.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
:shout1:

For all you guys having problems with stiff rear tires, buy some cheap ratcheting woodworking clamps (12") and squeeze your tires so they will fit in the valley of the wheel.
DO NOT buy cheap ones, i.e. the ones at Harbor Freight or other crappy cheap clamps. Go with the Irwin Quick Clamps, Jorgensen ISD 3 or possibly the Bessey clamps. I have about a score of the Irwins, some of the Jorgees, and a herd of other Bessey clamps, but none of their new "one handed" clamps, so I have some familiarity with clamps. I have also had some of the clamps shaped objects sold by Harbor Freight. Note the past tense. Crappy clamps can ruin your day. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, and your local hardware store all carry the good 'uns, and you can frequently get package deals on the Mini-Quick Grips.

:soapbox

Anti TSO (tool shaped object) rant off....

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
LOL... I am usually one of the first to buy good tools.... in this case, my Irwins couldn't hold the pressure, but the cheapies did. So, I'll modify my statement... for this purpose, buy clamps which have a phos & oil coating on the bar rather than smooth powder coated or chrome bars.... jaw capacity is important, my cheapies had more depth to get closer to the bead.

:shout1:

DO NOT buy cheap ones, i.e. the ones at Harbor Freight or other crappy cheap clamps. Go with the Irwin Quick Clamps, Jorgensen ISD 3 or possibly the Bessey clamps. I have about a score of the Irwins, some of the Jorgees, and a herd of other Bessey clamps, but none of their new "one handed" clamps, so I have some familiarity with clamps. I have also had some of the clamps shaped objects sold by Harbor Freight. Note the past tense. Crappy clamps can ruin your day. Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, and your local hardware store all carry the good 'uns, and you can frequently get package deals on the Mini-Quick Grips.

:soapbox

Anti TSO (tool shaped object) rant off....

OP
OP
Outbackwack

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I have about 20 Bessey's in assorted sizes and types so that shouldn't be an issue. Plus, the Ultimate package came with 3 of the No-Mar hand clamps. Now I need a 1/2" masonry bit :-(

Top Bottom