Tire balancing weights

13d

2008 st 1300
I had a new rear tire put on at cycle Gear (Michelin pilot ) and I got a phone call from them them later telling me they needed to put 3.75 OZ. To counterbalance my tire and rim
Does this sound normal or should I get it balanced again at a Honda factory Dealership?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Sounds a bit high to me. I just mounted a Bridgestone T32, and it required no weight at all. I suspect that either the mounting guy is clueless, the machine is off, or it's a bad tire. Even my truck tires ( 20") do not require that much weight. Could he have meant GRAMS?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I assume you have the wheel in your possession now. I'd look at the weights and go online to see what comparable weights weigh (not all have numbers stamped on them). That much weight seems a bit high to me. I wonder if the tire is defective. What amount of old wheel weights did you have on before you took the wheel in to these guys? You could call Michelin customer service and ask what their tolerances are for out of balance tires.

I've never had a wheel this far out of balance, but if done properly, and the wheel is now balanced, you should be good to go. No doubt guys with more experience will chime in here.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The Honda shop manual states that 60 grams (2.1 oz.) is the maximum allowable balance weight. If more than that is required, something is wrong. Despite what people may be told, an unlimited amount of balance weight does not fix the problem of an aout-of-balance wheel assembly. It may be as simple as rotating the tire to a different position on the rim to bring it in to better balance.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Kid doing the work probably didn't have a clue what he was doing....
Did he take off the old weights first?
Did he line up the dot on the sidewall correctly?
I bet if he simply broke the bead, spun the tire a bit, and checked again, it would be normal.
He may not have used the proper tire paste, and the bead didn't sit square, throwing the balance off etc.

st1300doug

Dynabeads. 1oz. front.....2oz. rear. Been using them over 11 years. Don't mean to start a "Thread' ........but, my son installs m/c tires and does a ratio of 95% dynabeads v.s. tape-lead weights. I've done over 125 mph- no vibes or wobbles. So......just my two cents.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While I don't use Dynabead's, I have been using Ride-on for the past several years, and like Doug said, no vibes or wobbles up to max speed, and with the Ride-on, it also self seals minor punctures to boot.
I find I get more mileage out of the tires with it also, because it re-balances itself every time you ride it, unlike weights that loose their balance once the tire starts wearing etc.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
2008 st 1300
I had a new rear tire put on at cycle Gear (Michelin pilot ) and I got a phone call from them them later telling me they needed to put 3.75 OZ. To counterbalance my tire and rim
Does this sound normal or should I get it balanced again at a Honda factory Dealership?
Did Cycle Gear balance the wheel/tire combo alone or did they balance with the drive flange still installed in the hub. I think that 3.5 ounces is quite a bit for a street bike….not so much for a tubed tire with rim locks on a dual sport. I doubt that your bare wheel requires much balancing and several new bikes that I have purchased have had no weights on the wheels when sold.….smooth as glass. I bought a used Yamaha Tracer GT last year with 4400 miles with new tires that were balanced……..incorrectly as the front wheel had a noticeable hop above 80 mph. I removed the wheel and statically rebalanced the wheel on my NoMar balancer …. used less weight at a different spot with no problems after.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
The tire changer employee was obviously fairly new doing that job. When ever there is a lot of weight needed, breaking the bead and rotating the tire 180 degrees would have helped a lot.
I watched a video of a rear tire that was being statically balanced and he had a bolt on hub/sprocket, can't remember. He showed us that he always tries to get the rim as close to balanced as he can first. He showed us that unbolting the hub and repositioning it, helps to get it real close. Then he marks the slightly heavy spot, if there is one. Then when he installs the tire, he can choose where the spot on the tire goes in relation to where his heavy rim spot is. This way it takes hardly any weight to balance them.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Here, here to both Dynabeads and Ride-On
I have used both and never worry about balancing.

However: the weight added is concerning and probably worth asking them to double check the mounting.

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
A lot of assumptions made here. Young Kid, incompetent, tire yellow dot etc.

I have had series 4 and 5 Michelin Pilots installed on various motorcycles. None of em had a 'balance dot.'

Don't know if OP shared info re what tire originally on wheel...what weights were etc.

With few exceptions, I change and balance my motorcycle tires....have for years. Friend has a NORTRON wheel balancer....electronics indicate weight required, where to place weight(s) including where to place relative to center line. Have checked balance on lots of wheels (no tire, some with, some without rotor )and some of the cast wheels on our ST 1300's and some Wings.......have been out of balance as much as 5 ounces. 2 to 3 not uncommon. Similar too for some cast wheels on other machines.

A friend rides a Ducati. Owns two. Wheels on both are billet. Balance is perfect. Michelins installed. No weights. Maybe really lucky...perfectly balanced tires (when new).

I have had good service at Cycle Gear.....2 or 3 different shops. My own wheels and some with friends. Whether tires from C G (seldom) or brought in tires purchased elsewhere or (if less than 5 years old, good integrity etc.) to be taken from one rim to mount to another..... Never a problem. And in keeping with my 'bare' wheel balance protocol, I asked the hands on person to check wheel balance. Have always obliged. At no extra cost. One could speculate that before C G called customer re the excess weight in wheel......the 'move tire on wheel' trick was done. Easier than making a perhaps 'awkward' phone call.

Same with my auto rims, trucks, and even the wheel / rotor assembly on my (half share ownership) Cessna 310. always check em bare....... I just asked. Never ever a 'problem.' And, some wheels, just tossed them....out of spec.

I started and operated the largest brake specialty repair shop in North Vancouver..... at peak, had 10,000 square foot service area.....15 techs. Brakes and tire mounting / balancing. 15 years and what a great time we all had there..... It was interesting, sometimes.....to balance a wheel.......was not true, too much weight required...even with a tire mounted and moved on rim etc....The customer would go crazy. Hey, just showing and telling you what we got. Well, your machine is wrong, you are wrong etc..... No......you sir...you are wrong. Customer always right? Not bloody likely.

No war intended here. If I can ask something of the 'tire guy', anybody can. And we should...

Have used Dyna Beads. Excellent. Ride On....Great stuff. Works perhaps better than advertised.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Michelin don't have dots.
Noted that when installing a set on a friend's NC750...
They also have a very tiny, barely noticeable rotation indicator... pretty stupid having you search it with a flashlight IMHO :rolleyes:
Theoretically it means that their tires are equally balanced all around.
Astonishingly did those Plilot Road require quite a bit (bare wheels where quite OK though...)
Bridgestones do have.
And they're so well made... didn't need to change the weights since years now with my G547/548 sets... amazing...

Top Bottom