Tire changing bar

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
So I think I am going to consider upgrading my gear.

I have been looking at the Mojo and the NoMar bar.

They are both about $100. Which is better?

I will probably go with the HF stuff for the rest of it.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
So I think I am going to consider upgrading my gear.

I have been looking at the Mojo and the NoMar bar.

They are both about $100. Which is better?

I will probably go with the HF stuff for the rest of it.
50/50 Mojo or NoMar bar. Have NoMar bar. I like NoMar tire lube.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I may get a mojolever just to try out. I can see some attributes to it that would make it easier to use in some cases, like getting the last part of the tire on the rim. However, the no mar has 2 flat cuts on the tip whereas the mojolever is a solid disc..

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
If you don't mind a little paint (red) on your rim the lever that comes with HF works very well.
I have discovered that tire lube is the secret to a quick clean tire change.
Mount Bstones 020 F.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
They look to be about the same price. Mojo is $100 shipped. The No Mar is $119 shipping may be more but if it were a lot better than the Mojo for some reason I might go that route.

So far it sounds like the Mojo will be just as good.

I have actually been considering making one. I could pick up some bar stock and some chunks of nylon to make the tips. I have a metal lathe so I could turn and thread the nylon tips pretty easy. But for $100 I may not mess with it. When it comes to making replacement tips I may make them myself depending on cost.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Does it wipe off or is it there for good?
It will clean off. Some say the HF bar scratches the rim. So far I have not had that happen.
I spread a good amount of lube on rim. 1 smooth turn around rim tire is on.
Use the NoMar lever to remove tire only.

Bike
ST 1300
I have the mojo, and it works great. However, I did have to drill an extra screw hole on the flat L shaped piece to keep it from shifting around. You can see it in the second picture here. I just drilled a hole through the black piece that is hanging down in the second picture and put a bolt in it to keep that part from moving around when using it. Hope that helps.

FYI: Harbor Freight changer works great, but you may want to carry the upper to a rhino lining place and let them coat the area where the wheel rest while taking the tire off of it. Unless they have changed it, I have found that those plastic covers tend to come off pretty easy.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I found where Mellow posted a link to this site.

HF Mods

I will either do this or Mojo has replacement feet that he sells for $30 for the HF. That would be another option. Since I would still want to fix up the bead breaker I may just get a cutting board like in the article above.

STOC #
It's a Powers thing...I've got mojo baby!

I've got the mojo bar and the nylon pieces for the tire changer. Now that I have figured out how to use the mounting end it works slick. I also brought an old water bottle up to the local tire place and they filled it up with tire snot for me. So, armed with a couple of small pieces of wood to hold the bead down, a generous application of tire snot and a twirl of the mojo bar and I've got this tire changing thing figured out!

Dave you're welcome to come play with my mojo bar.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I also brought an old water bottle up to the local tire place and they filled it up with tire snot for me.
Make your own lube:
> You can make your own tire lube if you want.
> (David Ryder's Recipe)
>
> 70% Murphy's oil soap
> 15% antifreeze (I use dexcool)
> 15% water
>
> This stuff is so slick it will slide up hill.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It's a Powers thing...I've got mojo baby!

I've got the mojo bar and the nylon pieces for the tire changer. Now that I have figured out how to use the mounting end it works slick. I also brought an old water bottle up to the local tire place and they filled it up with tire snot for me. So, armed with a couple of small pieces of wood to hold the bead down, a generous application of tire snot and a twirl of the mojo bar and I've got this tire changing thing figured out!

Dave you're welcome to come play with my mojo bar.
Thanks for the offer Kevin, I remember seeing your Mojo bar when I was over at your place last time when I reverse engineered your balancer. ;) I think you had just gotten it when I was over there and you showed it to me. I had already mounted my tires so I didn't get to see how easy it is to use. As I hinted above I have also considered reverse engineering the Mojo bar since I have a lathe to make the end protectors on the round end.The only part that would be a little more difficult to make is the other end but I could weld something up on the end of the barstock that would basically do it. The only issue is that I don't have any bar stock in my supplies big enough. So for $100 I may just buy one. That way I don't have to bother you as I burn through rubber. I tend to ride hard on the gas and brakes so tires don't last me all that long. I chewed through rears pretty quick on the 1100 and I am sure the 1300 will be the same. It looks like it will run a little over $200 for the HF and bar. Besides it will be nice to have in case I want to change tires on a trailer or something around here. I have lots of stuff with tires around here.

I want to pull the rear tire off my 1300 so I can get an idea what I need to do to modify me balancer to accept the 1300 rear. I am pretty sure it has changed so I can't use the cones that I used with the 1100. Well at least on the drive side this is the case.

That is a good idea to stop by a tire shop and get some snot. I might have to keep that in mind.

I'll let you know if I need a hand with this but I might just pick up a Mojo myself. The only issue I see with them is that it appears that he makes a few up whenever he gets a chance. If he is busy riding now and doesn't have any available it may be a while before I get one. If that is the case I will get in touch with you.

What are you using to break the beads and hold the rim? HF?

Talk to you later.

Dave.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Make your own lube:
> You can make your own tire lube if you want.
> (David Ryder's Recipe)
>
> 70% Murphy's oil soap
> 15% antifreeze (I use dexcool)
> 15% water
>
> This stuff is so slick it will slide up hill.
Hmm. Thanks for the recipe. I might have to cook some up.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I spray it on with a cheap plastic sprayer.
It works well and after it dries it doesn't ever get slippery again...

The brother-in-law had not been using lube when he was changing tires (same HF setup) and when he did 2 tires with me he immediately asked for the recipe and has been using it ever since.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Another silly question to anyone that has the HF tire changer. How big are the boxes. Can I buy and haul it on the ST? I am thinking about strapping it down to the rear seat/top box.

Bike
07 ST1300A
If anyone is interested, Here's the link to the mods I made to my HF changer. I also have the mojo lever, and it works very well. I can see there are pros and cons to each of them. Either of them should serve you well. If you get the Mojo lever, also order the Mojo blocks for the HF changer. He came out with them right after I made mine. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
If anyone is interested, Here's the link to the mods I made to my HF changer. I also have the mojo lever, and it works very well. I can see there are pros and cons to each of them. Either of them should serve you well. If you get the Mojo lever, also order the Mojo blocks for the HF changer. He came out with them right after I made mine. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the link, I saw a post that Mellow made linking to someone that did the same things. That is what I am planning on doing to the changer once I get i it home. I also saw that Mojo is making the feet now so I don't have to make them out of a cutting board. It didn't look like he had anything for the bead breaker though and since I want to do that as well I guess I have to cut up a cutting board anyhow. So I might just make one like yours. I think he wants $30 for the feet and the board isn't that much.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Another silly question to anyone that has the HF tire changer. How big are the boxes. Can I buy and haul it on the ST? I am thinking about strapping it down to the rear seat/top box.
It's been a while since I've seen the box one is in, I'm thinking it was a big box. You could probably do it but could be tricky..

There's also 2 boxes, the changer itself and the MC attachment.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It's been a while since I've seen the box one is in, I'm thinking it was a big box. You could probably do it but could be tricky..

There's also 2 boxes, the changer itself and the MC attachment.
Oh well. HF is on the way home if I take the long way around. Maybe I will have to drive the cage one of these days. Or just order it online.

Top Bottom