Tire Milage? Dunlop Elite & Oil change time and mileage

Clark Kent

No Kryptonite Please
:BDH:

I sure this has been talked about many times. So sorry if this is redundent

My brother has Dunlop Elites on his ST1100

He has about 3900 miles on them and they are almost gone.

He might get another 1000 but that is it.

Is 5K: Good , Bad or Ugly?

He doesn't ride much anymore. His oil and filter were chaged in June of 09 and he only has 500 miles on it.

Should he change the oil and filter (it is 2 years old) but only 500 miles and very clean.
His bike has about 60K on it.

Thanks, CK

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
For me, 5K would be very Ugly. For others it might be good. A lot of that depends on what part of the country that your riding in. I have a friend who got over 20K miles on the rear tire of his ST1100. I'm sure that there are better tires out there than the Dunlop Elites. 1100 guys can chime in.

As for the oil, Honda does not specify any time interval, at least for the 1300. Most people might say to only keep it in there no longer than a year. I doubt that you're really going to harm the engine at all by continuing to use the oil. You could always just change the oil and reuse the filter.

At the rate that he puts on mileage he'll be long gone before the bike will... ;)

OP
OP
Clark Kent

Clark Kent

No Kryptonite Please
We ride in Montana. 99% if the miles are on blacktop and straigth down the center of the road. Sniff, sniff.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If he starts it every week or so it might not be a bad idea to change it to get rid of the moisture. But the acid neutralizers in the oil package are probably pretty fresh. Prolly a good idea to change the brake/clutch fluid though.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
If you want mileage for an st1100 try the exedra front and bt020m for the rear. I get 16,000 out of the fronts. The bt020m looks to be good for at least 12,000. I have not actually finished one on the rear as I have had trouble lately with nails but measuring the tread left when I got the nails indicated I would have more than 12,000.

Top Bottom