Tire pressure monitoring system

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think the best thing is a visual inspection / hard evaluation / physical pressure check / second look at that tire, this ain't kansas, there's no getting back
Doing all of that will not help you at all once under way. Your tires might be in perfect condition when you start your ride, but at any time during the ride you may sustain a leak. This is what the TPMS is for, it is not intended to replace the inspections and pressure checks.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I think the best thing is a visual inspection / hard evaluation / physical pressure check / second look at that tire...
It's a pretty weird observation across the board here...
I don't get it, folks neglect brake-, coolant- and electrical systems till complete failure... but everyone is hysterical about tire pressure...
I'd rather fear those valve-stem mounted sensors being a leak waiting to happen...
And FWIW I sense a lack of 0.2Bar/3.0psi already due the increased resistance when backing my ST out it's garage spot and riding up the exit ramp... with a gas-station around the corner a 2 minute thing...

Bike
2009 ST1300
Doing all of that will not help you at all once under way. Your tires might be in perfect condition when you start your ride, but at any time during the ride you may sustain a leak. This is what the TPMS is for, it is not intended to replace the inspections and pressure checks.
I guess so could save a life - I just didnt think they were very reliable never had one but have heard of a few problems

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, the whole debate made me curious ;)
Found a kit with internal sensors...
The (metal) valve stem with cap and sensor weight only 18 grams (checked that)
low pressure, high pressure, rapid pressure loss, temperature indication and programmable alarm thresholds for all 3 (display flickering to red + beeping...)
I've yet no idea how well those stems will fit the cast rims of an ST (or NT), will confirm during the next tire change...

61bRKwD0heL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 614+k+7vT8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
So a year on from the last post I have an update to battery life of the Sykik external sensor system under my use. I installed this one in December of 2019 about 39,000 miles ago. Cosmetically the display unit is unchanged from new having stood up much better to UV than the previous TireGard unit which got hard to see from UV crazing of the LCD display. I have to charge this display unit now maybe every 30 hours of use which is easy. On standby the battery life is still probably months and months but the bikes don't sit more than a week or so. Charging takes a mini USB and I usually just plug it into the bike's unswitched power outlet on the left handlebar for 15-30 minutes. The battery in one of the wheel sensors lasted just short of 3 years.

On a ride last week the front sensor did not "wake up" in the usual less than 2/10ths of a mile of riding away from the house. It did not wake up the entire day. A few days later I removed the front sensor's battery to see what type it was then I purchased two CR1225 batteries and replaced the front sensor's battery using the tool provided in the original box. The rubber gasket in the "cap end" that seals against the metal valve stem was supple and compliant and I deemed it safe for continued use. AFAIK this gasket is not replaceable and would require a new sensor if it began to leak. After replacing the battery the sensor woke up immediately upon installation back on the valve stem. I went ahead and replaced the rear sensor battery proactively.

It might bear mentioning that when the system times itself OFF when the bike sits undisturbed a few minutes it retains the last pressure and temperature so when it senses movement and turns itself back ON it shows the last PSI and temperature it displayed. You can unscrew a "sleeping" sensor until it just begins to bleed pressure then tighten it back and the unit will display the current PSI and temperature without losing much more than a breath of pressure. Hence when I parked the bike after this morning's ride it was showing 36 and 41 respectively. I tapped the unit with a finger to wake it up for this picture.

IMG_2615.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been using Hawkshead TPMS with external sensors for several years (on steel stems).
They work as advertised and have not had any issues with 'cap' leak.
If it is a concern, then spray some soapy water around the cap when you put it back on.
On more than one occasion, I picked up a nail/screw and the TPMS let me know quickly so I could pull off to a safe spot for a repair.
No big deal whether you do or you don't and my experience maybe not be a predictor of your experience.
But with thousands of miles using them on my ST1100s it is money well spent for me.
Ever tried to get a loaded ST1100 up on the center stand when the rear tire is completely flat? :biggrin:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I went with a Bluetooth system mostly because I didn't want yet another display to add to my bike at the time. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X4HM1BP/

1669150826598.png

They seem to deliver the correct pressure reading when I actively load the app and collect data, but I'm not clear how they would deliver the notification should the pressure fall below a set point when the app isn't in the forefront on my android phone. It's supposed to be monitoring continuously using BTLE (Bluetooth low-energy) once the sensors activate from the wheels rolling, but I've yet to experience evidence of that. These may have been a dead-end for me because in retrospect I don't think I want the TPMS to depend on having the phone on the bike to benefit from its function.

I may be looking for other options. And I have a spare RAM ball on my IBIS dashboard.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Hawkshead monitor is small and I just velcro it to the ST1100 handlebar cover over the emblem.
It has both sound and flashing red light warnings if there is a problem.
The battery lasts a long time - so long that I don't remember how long it was the last time I charged them.
I also like the fact that I can easily change the button batteries in the caps when they 'die' without removing the tire and breaking the bead.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The Hawkshead monitor is small and I just velcro it to the ST1100 handlebar cover over the emblem.
The battery lasts a long time - so long that I don't remember how long it was the last time I charged them.
I also like the fact that I can easily change the button batteries in the caps when they 'die' without removing the tire and breaking the bead.
UP, did you go with steel T-stems? That's the way regardless if it's an external sensor, IMO.

1669154341987.png 1669154354587.png

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Given your penchant for thrifty living I think you might take a look at newer products like the Sykik system if you ever have to replace one of your TPMS on the bikes. It's 1/3rd to 1/4 the cost and does everything the Hawkshead does.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
UP, did you go with steel T-stems? That's the way regardless if it's an external sensor, IMO.
No I did not. What I did do is to pitch the locking nuts so it is easy to remove the caps with your hands. ;)
PaulCB told me he did it and had no trouble for miles and miles and my experience has been the same.
I like simple ... :biggrin:
BTW I use 75 degree(? - don't remember for sure) stems so it is easier to get to them with a gauge or air chuck.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I change my Hawkshead sensor batteries every spring. Do I need to(?) I don't know - call it preventative maintenance. IIRC the battery is a CR1632.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have been happy with my Fobo2 tpms. Just changed the batteries after 2 seasons. They did not fail,,, but the system warned me that the voltage was down. Got a much better deal buying the replacements on Amazon,,, and now I have 3 spares on hand,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I use identical looking but unbranded units on my VFR800, MT-10 and the mighty ST13. They've all been great for as many years as I've had them (one is a least 5 years old), barring the odd need for a replacement sensor battery. I've never bothered getting the wheels balanced WITH the sensor fitted, and I can't feel any out-of balance vibrations, and I've never had any issues with unexpected leakage at the cap. I have replaced all rubber valve stems with 90 degree metal items, but have used rubber stems for many thousands of km before changing to the metal stems. The head units look basically new after use but do get occasional (and non-critical) condensation in the display when exposed to sunlight. I am a bit pedantic (can you be a BIT pedantic???) about air pressures (well I'm pedantic about all adjustments) and love the on-the-fly ability to check that all is well. The monitors have given me two warnings of impending deflation which have allowed me to get to a better location to deal with it i.e. off a freeway and where compressed air is available at a gas station. I would not be without these now.

You might try a search - blue band above - for 'Tire Pressure Monitoring System' and also for 'TPMS'. There have been more than a few discussions about these.

I have Fobo and Hawkshead. The former displays info on your cell phone, the latter on a display that comes in their kit. Both use external sensors on T valves. There are pros and cons to each, I'm currently using the Hawkshead because it is on my Suzi. I don't like the small font they use, and preferred the bigger font on my phone. However, having read of guys losing their phones off their bikes when hitting a big bump, I tend to keep that in my pocket where it can be crushed if I fall off or trip. :biggrin:
Put me down for FOBO as well... extremely pleased.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
humorous on the topic,,, with fresh 3.0v batteries in the sensors, I can check the pressure and temperature in my tires,, day or night from my smartphone. And my bikes are garaged across the street from my house !! Handy if you wake up in the middle of the night,, and wonder if you tires have suddenly gone flat !! Doesn't work so well at 2.7v though,,, lol,,, CAt'

Bike
'06 ST1300A
+1 on the FOBO Bike 2 System (including steel T-valves). Accurate performance against random gauge checks, great customer service and decent battery life. I like the Bluetooth application on my Smartphone. Makes checking tire pressure easy.

On a recent tire change, as the tech was releasing air pressure and I was a few meters away, I received the low pressure alert on my phone. It was instantaneous, loud, persistent and effective.
That being said, when I recently caught a roofing nail in my rear tire, I did not receive the alert for low pressure. The leak was very slow and my phone was out of Bluetooth connection range from where the bike was parked. The tire went flat overnight and was observed the following morning. My:twocents1:!

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
The FOBO 2 has been great. As I approach my bike for a ride, I look at my iphone and there are the tyre pressures on display. Then I put my phone away in my tail bag.
When riding along, the warning alarm in my helmet speakers for pressure loss (or over pressure) outside your selected range is loud a clear, it cannot be missed (a terrible sound).
The FOBO 2 is unquestionably a great safety device IMO.
D

Top Bottom