Tire temperature

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
just to be anal about the pressure rise, absolute should be used instead of gauge pressure to compute the percentage rise, so instead of 21% (9/42) its about 16% rise (9/57).
Agreed. It would be absolute for the gas equation, but I was just using the ratio of 1 psi for 10F rise to calculate it. When most rules of thumb for tire pressure rise say 5% pressure rise for best tire life and 10% pressure rise for best performance, they are using gauge pressure. 10% would be 40 to 44 psi and 5% would be 40 to 42 psi. That was the comparison I was making with the 20% number - twice the normal rise that most people would look for when trying to set cold pressure to a level that gets the tires to best operating temperature. I've never had one go up 9 psi after being run. And if I had gotten a 9 psi rise, I'd think my starting pressure was too low. But at 42 psi, that is not low. I'm still puzzled by the numbers.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
When I programmed the TPMS for my motorhome they advised to use the default settings for temperature.

I had a sticking caliper while on the BRP and the high temperature alarm went off. Never take a motorhome on the BRP.

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...agreed that the theoretical rise is around 2.3-ish based on the math for that temp rise, but it seems like most TPMS users report much more than that, not sure what explains it.
I usually see a pressure rise (reported on the TPMS) of about 4 PSI after riding steadily for an hour or so, once everything has warmed up and stabilized. This doesn't concern me, because it is very similar to the pressure rise I see in automobile tires under the same conditions.

I have not noticed a significant difference in pressure rise between the front and back wheels, although the rear wheel is always significantly warmer than the front wheel after riding for an hour or so. I think the warmer rear wheel is perfectly normal - it's not exposed to as much airflow as the front wheel, it carries more weight, and it is exposed to warm air coming off the engine and the exhaust pipes.

Michael

Top Bottom