Tires for the ST1100

Would like some feedback on preference of Radial, or Bias ply tires, for the ST 1100. Tia.

OP
OP
You will get better mileage with bias and better handling with radials - IMHO from over 440,000+ miles on ST1100s.
Ok, thanks. I have a set of Bridgestone T-31, and the front tire is creating a raised "rib" down the middle. Never seen that before.

Bike
VStrom 650
Bias ply weren't always the standard fit tyres, especially on later bikes. Dunlop and Bridgestone radials were fitted.
Stick with Bridgestone, just decide what characteristics suit yourself, another 2000 miles of life or improved ride and handling.
Strange wear is not unusual, don't read too much into it. Set your pressure as per the manual and ride until they're worn out. Another pound or two when fully loaded will help.
When changing the tyres check bearings etc.
Upt'North.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Well since you ask. If you have a non abs ST1100 I prefer the o.e.m. Bridgestone G547 front and G548 rear. These tire wear great with no cupping and very long wear. If you have an:) abs model you probably need a radial tire.
+1 180,000 miles of experience. I prefer the neutral handling of the Exedras which lasts right through the end of the long tire life. FWIW YMMV

JOhn

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
I'm running Metzler Lazertec's on my 91 ST1100. They're not too pricey, quiet, and handle well rain or shine...

Anyone orders tires from Tire agent? Is the company reliable?
These reviews are not something i expected to be honest and now not sure if i should order from them.
Would be great to hear some personal feedback from the forum members.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Bias ply weren't always the standard fit tyres, especially on later bikes. Dunlop and Bridgestone radials were fitted.
the ABSII bikes came with radials, all non-ABS and ABSI came with bias ply regardless of model year.

I've run both over the years, and probably even mixed them a few times as well. The radial front always seemed a bit squirmy in a straight line, but totally solid when leaned over. Never noticed the squirmy feel with the bias fronts.

Top Bottom