To cover or not to cover?

I am another that has purchased a geza gear cover. The material is more like spandex and fits very snug on the bike. It actually streches over it. Here is a link. http://gezagear.com/ . I also use this cover when travelling and it says that it makes a good towing cover. I have never towed my bike but would use this cover. Check it out......

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
If you use an open trailer, do NOT use a cover. I've seen abrasions from covers of all kinds, including the elastic form fitting ones.

Some Uhauls have tie downs, some don't. As alan's son did, you can add your own tie downs to the flooring using eye bolts or U-bolts. Don't rely on the side walls of the trailer, they're pretty flimsy.

As someone else mentioned, I've heard many horror stories about moving companies trying to move motorcycles. They just don't do it often enough that their people have any idea how to secure and protect it. You could use a specialty motorcycle hauler but that is likely to get spendy. At least they know what they're doing.

If you hire a mover be sure to review with him how he will handle and tie-down the bike during transit. Be sure to inspect it carefully upon delivery.

I have an inexpensive ($250) 4x8 utility trailer with 42 inch high plywood on 4sides. It's not high enough to completely cover the ST's windscreen but is enough to shield most of ST from sand and stones. I trailered my ST for 200 miles without any problems. If your trip includes an overnight stay then you can throw on a tarp over the top to keep out prying eyes but then I would remove it before moving.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Guys, you are forgetting he is moving IN THE WINTER!!! If you are going to use a open trailer, the bike will need to be covered. All the Salt, Sand, road crap will get everywhere and will not be good for the bike. It is not like using a trailer in the summer with just rain. The sand used on roads in the west will just blast and pit the plastic.

I agree that a motorcycle cover or tarp will do major damage.

Here is what I did when I moved my bikes from Penn to Washington State in Feb. on an open snowmobile trailer. I went to a moving company and picked up a two foot wide roll of the shrink wrap they use to wrap furniture. Put the bike on the trailer, tie it down, then wrap the bike in the shrink wrap. I then used packing tape and wraped that all over the shrink wrap. Just make sure you also get the wheels covered. I did not get them covered on one bike and the cast rims had pits in them from the salt. Also, take off the wind shield and side bags if you can. Just less to wrap if you do it this way. After 3000 miles, took off the wrap, and bikes were fine.

The best thing like others have posted is to get a covered trailer.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I would not cover the bike.

Serious offer.
Fly me up... pay for gas... I'll ride it back and I'll find a car wash at the end of every day to wash it off...

It took me 2 days to get there last June from here in Tempe, AZ.
It took me 3 days to get back here from there last Aug (the 2nd time was down the coast which is the route I'd recommend in the winter; rather than through ID and NV).

Mark

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Guys, you are forgetting he is moving IN THE WINTER!!! If you are going to use a open trailer, the bike will need to be covered. All the Salt, Sand, road crap will get everywhere and will not be good for the bike. It is not like using a trailer in the summer with just rain. The sand used on roads in the west will just blast and pit the plastic.

I agree that a motorcycle cover or tarp will do major damage.

Here is what I did when I moved my bikes from Penn to Washington State in Feb. on an open snowmobile trailer. I went to a moving company and picked up a two foot wide roll of the shrink wrap they use to wrap furniture. Put the bike on the trailer, tie it down, then wrap the bike in the shrink wrap. I then used packing tape and wraped that all over the shrink wrap. Just make sure you also get the wheels covered. I did not get them covered on one bike and the cast rims had pits in them from the salt. Also, take off the wind shield and side bags if you can. Just less to wrap if you do it this way. After 3000 miles, took off the wrap, and bikes were fine.

The best thing like others have posted is to get a covered trailer.
A covered trailer is certainly the best way to go. I love your SaranWrap solution, though. :grin:

CWDUSMC

Site Supporter
Bike
01 ST-1100
STOC #
Covered is the way to go, if possible. However, if you put in in an enclosed trailer with other household goods, remember that even tied down, the bike my bounce due to its supension and goods stacked around the bike may shift. Years ago when I moved my dirt bike and packed stuff around it, I ended up with scratched stuff because the load had shifted and stuff rubbed against the bike. Didn't hurt the bike since it was all plastic but won't want that to happen to my ST!.
If you go with an uncovered trailer, I would not cover the bike. I have towed boats with "trailering covers" and they never stay tight, regardless what the manufacturer says. I would try to add some plywood walls around the front and sides of the trailer to provide additional protection (just make sure they are secure enough to handle the wind loads!) if you are worried about road debris.
Good luck,
Craig

Top Bottom