Tools for Sync-ing Carbs

Bike
2010 ST1300
I recently gave a friend my Carb Stix - a mercury filled manometer and will probably need a replacement tool this winter. Has anyone compared a Carbtune to Motion Pro's SyncPro or to good old vacuum gages? The Carbtune uses stainless steel rods, the Motion Pro uses fluid filled tubes (anti freeze...well polypropylene glycol and water) and requires calibrating each time you use it. My carb stix were easy to use and responsive, I've read (maybe other threads here?) the carbtune is sometimes subject to sticking, and I wonder if the Motion Pro will be too responsive. Never used a multiple vacuum gage setup, I would guess it would be the most accurate and hardest to read (that is, until you drop the gages).

What has your experience been with one style or several?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
carb stix are all I've ever used, gravity can never go out of calibration.

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
I'm near Columbus, would be willing to loan my Carbtune to you. Just sync'd mine late summer when I installed my motocruise.

Having never done a sync of any type before, I thought they worked well.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
There is an electronic, digital readout, set up that's suppose to be good. No fluids no rods all electronic. Hook up the vac. hoses and go. Can't think of the name at the moment.

edit: Digi Sync

Last edited:

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have Carb tune and Digi sync. Both are very good and will get the job done without fear of manometer fluid spillage. The Digi synch is easiest to use and read as it has a digital display.

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
Thumbs up for Carbtune Pro. Have used mine on easily 30 different motorcycles since 2014......carbureted and Fuel injected machines. Work perfectly every time.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have both, bought the SynchPro first, then the Carbtune. There's pro's and cons for both but ultimately I prefer the Carbtune. If you like to fiddle, then it is satisfying to synchronise the SynchPro before use, but the liquid is a small bother and occasionally gets air bubbles in the tube when are annoying to shift. There's no calibrating the Carbtune so you are relying on all of the slides respnoding evenly. I did have an occasion where one slide was a little sticky and read lower than it should, which needed some cleaning. The SynchPro comes with a handy-dandy 6-way T which I used to diagnose the fault in my Carbtune...

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I have a Morgan carb tune, I used to have a motion pro thing, and I built my own electronic version. The Morgan carb tune is my reference and I have done many many bikes with it over the years. I loaned my first one out quite some years ago and it never came back so I bought another.

This last year I built an electronic one using plans I found online and adapting them. I am a software engineer by trade and this was as much hobby / entertainment as it was a purposeful endeavor. The electronic version is hands down easier quicker and more accurate.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've read (maybe other threads here?) the carbtune is sometimes subject to sticking...
I utilize an IV-stand to ensure the Carbtune is hanging vertically...
I also have a SynX which display can be switched between bar or curve display...

But at the end it's important to listen how healthy the engine sounds and performs...

Bike
05 ST
I have a dig sync, used it on my Valkyrie, all electronic and will do up to 6 carbs, even has a magnet to hold it on the tank while adjusting. If needed will loan out, drop me a line….

Top Bottom