Tools to carry on your motorcycle.

I carry a small, credit card size Amprobe multimeter. I think it is an essential diagnostic tool.

I might not be able to fix whatever electrical problem I might find, but at least I can identify the problem - and equally important, quickly rule out components I think might be at fault but are actually working OK.

Michael

There have been many threads with "What tools should I carry on a long trip". I thought while working on my ST1300 yesterday I would take a picture of everything I normally carry on my bike. These tools are always on the bike be it a ride to the store or on my normal 10,000 summer vacation trip.

These are the tools I usually try to use even at home just so I know my tool kit works when I travel in less populated areas often alone. Of course at home I may grab a better screwdriver or a pair of pliers but these tools and whatever a passerby may offer will hopefully keep my bike roadside repairable or provide my with the ability to at least inspect the problem so I can decide if the bike can continue. Thankfully It's a Honda and has never left me unable to ride home. (Not counting that sliced tire back in 2009!)

I'll try to list out each item and where I carry the items. If I'm at the top of the Ujoint life cycle (125,00o in my experience) I also carry a Ujoint on trips over 500 miles from home. I also sometimes carry a spare generic fuel pump.

All the items in #2 go loose in the right dash board "glove" pocket.
Air pressure gauges.
Side stand plastic "foot" with string.
Stock 2006 Honda tool kit (5mm hex wrench (less the foam!)).
Caterpillar rubber Oring for use as a throttle lock if the Cruise control fails.
CrampBuster throttle assist device.

All items in #1 go in the blue plastic tool bag and it drops in the left dash pocket bottom.
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 MM wrenches.
2.5 3 4 5 6 8 10 MM hex keys wrenches.
Also in this section are my 2 nylon loop straps carried under the seat for fork ties if the bike should need a flatbed truck lift (what? no way that will ever happen).

Items in area #3 go in the black cloth bag visible under the tools and it also drops in the left dash pocket.
2 ea. 3/8's drive ratchets. I carry two as I use them over their designed rating loosening the rear axle.
22 MM rear axle socket with 1/2 to 3/8 drive adapter.
Socket extension.
Alum. tubing for a ratchet handle extension and hex key pry bar. It fits snug on the ratchet handle.
6 thru 17 MM sockets.
Small bit of electrical tape.
Stubby straight and phillips screwdrivers.
Gerber multi tool for pliers and knife and misc.
Some plastic ties are in the bag not pictured.

In the center area is a length of small tubing for a gas siphon. I keep this inside the rear tail light.
The small air compressor lays just in front of the tail light with the wheel bearings shown in area #5.

#4 is my tire puncture repair kit and lays under the seat to the rear.
REd and black gummy worm plugs.
Screwdriver awl for digging in tire holes.
Reamer for reaming tire to accept the gummy worm plugs.
Plug insertion tools for the gummy worms. Note the hole drilled in the handles to accept the awl to construct a "T" handle type plug tool reamer tool. Those "T" plug handles sold are just too big for me to carry so I made my own by adding the drilled hole.
Tire patch glue. I add glue to the gummy worms for a better chance of a seal.
Small razor cut off knife for the gummy worms. I cut the worms off near flush with the tire. If left long I think the worms pull themselves out as the tire rolls.
Tire valve stem plug removal tool. (Valve cap).

Not shown is a regular claw hammer with the handle cut down to about 5" kept in my tent ground cloth.

toolkit.jpg
Thanks for sharing this

So much weight for "what if's". Carry just enough to get the plastic off.
Plug kit, mini air compressor, jump pack, zip ties, wire, and duct tape can get you out of almost anything.
Oh, be sure to add a AAA plus Motorcycle membership, credit card, and cell phone.
I do about the same thing. I carry a small toolkit that I assembled myself from tools I knew I needed for the maintenance I do on the bike. A small leftover roll of duct tape, Stop-N-Go tire kit and jump pack are on the bike all the time. When I go on a trip outside the local area, I put a Slime kit on the bike. And I have the free AMA roadside service.

If I'm honest with myself, the two biggest potential failures for my bike on the road are a flat tire and a dead battery. If my engine dies, chances are I don't have the expertise to fix it, no matter how many tools I'm carrying. With a Slime kit and the Stop-N-Go tire plug kit, I can fix most flats. If my battery is dead for some reason, the jump pack will work to get the bike started.

If all that can't get me running, then it is time to get out the AMA roadside assistance card. If I'm out of cell phone range, my inReach SE can get help.

Chris

Last edited:
I carry my tools and compressor in the left bag as the stuff I need daily access to, like clothes, lives in the right bag and are more accessible on the sidestand. The stuff I access many times during the day, like spare gloves, water bottle, snacks, etc. live in the top box, or the tank bag.

I to carry my tools and compressor in the left bag. I also have my rain gear in the left.

I keep my tool roll, extra fuses/ties/tape etc, compressor, siphon hose and motorcycle jumper cables in the right bag. I do this so if I'm on a right shoulder and have the hard bag open to access this stuff I don't have my back to passing traffic. Also my 90 deg tire valves face the right side (easier to access with the side stand lean angle).
Stuff I need right away goes in the tank bag (kickstand foot, flashlight, tire gauge, etc).
I've learned to pack light, so all my clothing goes in the left bag or the topcase, no matter how long the trip is.
I also keep 2 common hex keys and a JIS screwdriver in the right fairing pocket. Extra bulbs, flashlight batteries go in the left.

There have been many threads with "What tools should I carry on a long trip". I thought while working on my ST1300 yesterday I would take a picture of everything I normally carry on my bike. These tools are always on the bike be it a ride to the store or on my normal 10,000 summer vacation trip.

These are the tools I usually try to use even at home just so I know my tool kit works when I travel in less populated areas often alone. Of course at home I may grab a better screwdriver or a pair of pliers but these tools and whatever a passerby may offer will hopefully keep my bike roadside repairable or provide my with the ability to at least inspect the problem so I can decide if the bike can continue. Thankfully It's a Honda and has never left me unable to ride home. (Not counting that sliced tire back in 2009!)

I'll try to list out each item and where I carry the items. If I'm at the top of the Ujoint life cycle (125,00o in my experience) I also carry a Ujoint on trips over 500 miles from home. I also sometimes carry a spare generic fuel pump.

All the items in #2 go loose in the right dash board "glove" pocket.
Air pressure gauges.
Side stand plastic "foot" with string.
Stock 2006 Honda tool kit (5mm hex wrench (less the foam!)).
Caterpillar rubber Oring for use as a throttle lock if the Cruise control fails.
CrampBuster throttle assist device.

All items in #1 go in the blue plastic tool bag and it drops in the left dash pocket bottom.
8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 MM wrenches.
2.5 3 4 5 6 8 10 MM hex keys wrenches.
Also in this section are my 2 nylon loop straps carried under the seat for fork ties if the bike should need a flatbed truck lift (what? no way that will ever happen).

Items in area #3 go in the black cloth bag visible under the tools and it also drops in the left dash pocket.
2 ea. 3/8's drive ratchets. I carry two as I use them over their designed rating loosening the rear axle.
22 MM rear axle socket with 1/2 to 3/8 drive adapter.
Socket extension.
Alum. tubing for a ratchet handle extension and hex key pry bar. It fits snug on the ratchet handle.
6 thru 17 MM sockets.
Small bit of electrical tape.
Stubby straight and phillips screwdrivers.
Gerber multi tool for pliers and knife and misc.
Some plastic ties are in the bag not pictured.

In the center area is a length of small tubing for a gas siphon. I keep this inside the rear tail light.
The small air compressor lays just in front of the tail light with the wheel bearings shown in area #5.

#4 is my tire puncture repair kit and lays under the seat to the rear.
REd and black gummy worm plugs.
Screwdriver awl for digging in tire holes.
Reamer for reaming tire to accept the gummy worm plugs.
Plug insertion tools for the gummy worms. Note the hole drilled in the handles to accept the awl to construct a "T" handle type plug tool reamer tool. Those "T" plug handles sold are just too big for me to carry so I made my own by adding the drilled hole.
Tire patch glue. I add glue to the gummy worms for a better chance of a seal.
Small razor cut off knife for the gummy worms. I cut the worms off near flush with the tire. If left long I think the worms pull themselves out as the tire rolls.
Tire valve stem plug removal tool. (Valve cap).

Not shown is a regular claw hammer with the handle cut down to about 5" kept in my tent ground cloth.

toolkit.jpg
Nice kit Raymond, but like you said it is a Honda.

Here is a photo of my Cruz tool roll that I can carry in my left fairing pocket along with a can of Plexus and a rag to clean my face shield.

IMG_9009.JPG

Here is a photo of the tool kit and Plexus on the bike.

IMG_9008.JPG

I have the tools needed to remove either wheel, raise the tank, remove the air cleaner or remove the fairings.

Back
Top Bottom