Top case - what do you carry in it

OP
OP
Makes sense....my guess is with a full tank of gas one wouldn't want a lot up that high on the bike....thanks.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Not a matter of the weight in my case. I just prefer to have an easy and convenient place to put those things as I hate carrying a helmet around with me.
Many people load their top-case up when they are on a trip, especially if they are camping, because they need that extra storage. You learn to deal with the weight, which is only an issue at very slow speeds for the most part. Having said that, I still would put stuff in my top-case only if I couldn't fit it anywhere else, and it would be lighter items.

Since it is close to you, have you seen this;
2022-06-19 Monkland, ON - Katrina’s Corner Kitchen

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Only lightweight stuff...
- jacket thermal liner
- my two other sets of riding gloves (+ thin under-gloves)
- roll of toilet tissue ;)
- Windstopper neck-warmer
- a couple Michelin maps of the designated area

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
On longer trips I carry all the stuff I need easy access to: extra clothing, gloves, water, maybe a snack, camera, my wife's purse, glasses, etc. The rest goes in the side cases.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
On trips in cool weather I kept my spare layers in there. On warm weather trips (camping) it would have food, my smallest tent, rain gear...

When commuting my laptop)s) and case(s) went in there.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Actually:
1 - Non-trip local rides - I have a soft container that has extra charging cords/ear buds/misc small bits and the rest is for my helmet.
2 - Trips - same soft container w/bits but also a 2nd one with all the stuff I keep in the tent, headlamp, flashlight, coffee cup, advil/aleive, coffee. Also, tablet and extra windbreaker/sweater in summer and heated jacket in winter. I always try to have some extra space so I can put some food/drinks in there on the way to the next campground.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
On most of my riding I'm not on a trip but day riding close to home and the saddlebags are not on the bike (Goldwing excepting). I leave a top box on the bike all the time. In the top box I carry an old tank bag as an organizer of little stuff I like to have like lip balm, tylenol, glass cleaner & microfiber cloth, a leatherman multitool, earplugs, charge cord for Sena, small flashlight, small odds and ends. I might have a jacket liner/extra layer, different gloves depending on the time of year. I try and keep it empty enough so I can put my helmet in there if I am away from the bike. On trips I keep it mostly empty and keep room for a helmet, gloves, jacket and bike cover. Also the laptop if I take it on the trip.

Top Bottom