Suits Touring clothing. Waterproof or rain suit?

Looking at buying a jacket and pants or a suit. Prefer not to spend a fortune. So buy one for protection and one for rain or can you get both in one? Also I’d be nice for it to be four seasons. Asking to much?

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
There are many options. Some will say protection and rain all in one, since its sort of designed to work that way. I prefer the layered approach. With the layers having a function. The only real issue might be if you are wearing a layer do you have room to store it.

I ride with jeans, a textile jacket or a leather jacket (depending on the temperature) and layers under (long underwear for warmth and if needed a heated jacket liner). I have ridden in the upper 30's with just long underwear and leather jacket but that was a few years ago. What I found out, was that you should use the rain gear as a seal against the cold as well as the rain. So, when it gets cold out I can put on the rain gear (top and pants) and that really helps.

So, what I have today. Rain gear (Frog Tog paints and a rain jacket, a step up from the Frog Tog's jacket), textile jacket, and thermal underwear. Boots are Sidi boots that are Gortex lined so my feet sort of stay dry and a pair of outdoor gloves I got from a hiking store. Warm and don't really get too wet in the rain.

You mentioned "protection" and I have looked at the combo jackets and always thought, what gets wet if there is a liner to keep the rain out. Does the jacket dry off? So I have always stayed away from the combo jacket.

As I said, jeans with thermal underwear and the rain pants tend to keep the lower body covered.

Another thought is the new Warm-n-Safe Jacket liner which is suppose to be resistant to water (have to look at their web page to see what it actually says but I'd always wear an outer waterproof/resistant layer.

One more thing, a neck gaiter, keeping the next warm is essential in keeping the body warm. I just one almost all the time when the temperatures are below 70. It really makes a difference.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I guess it depends on your budget, if money is no object then there are products out there that fit the bill but you will be spending close to,or more than $2000.
I have Olympia products with waterproof liners. But they can do only so much. I pack a Rhyno rain suit and gortex booties. They don’t take up too much room in the panniers. For the colder days I will add my electric gear to the pack. I’m on a budget I got my jackets second hand as well as my electric jacket. The riding pants and Rhyno gear I bought new. I apply a waterproof product on my gear twice a year.
For wet weather riding I have neoprene fisherman’s gloves(wetsuit material). My hands will get wet but stay warm as a result of the neoprene and body heat.

Last edited:
No, textile stuff will fill the bill for the most part. Nothing good is cheap. The cost of layered dressing adds up, not like Klim or Aerostich. I wear layers, tourmaster mesh top, Bohn armor bottom, a few different pants, aerostich jeans, sedici mesh. Olympia Rain gear, Aerostich rain glove covers, Sidi All Road boots. I am a gloveaholic plenty of those. Inserts for coat as needed, thermal vest, rain barrier.
If you use inner rain barriers the suit gets wet and heavy. Textile with a coating would be better for me.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Oh boy......!!! Oil, tires, riding gear. All illicit the same kind of responses. Everyone has their own preference. It really depends on what you are wanting and can afford and where you live and what kind of climate you ride in mostly. I see you live in NC, so to have me tell you what is best is really of little value since I live in a relatively cool and drier climate.

A couple of things I have learned after spending a bunch of money on gear.....
1. buy the best you can afford. It will be cheaper in the long run.
2. a separate rain suit is often put on just after you are wet
3. waterproof inner liners are sweat boxes and the outer, rain soaked layer, turns into a refrigerator once it starts to dry out.

For my riding, this is what I use mostly.

- Klim Latitude pants and jacket. Waterproof outer layer. Essentially a shell outfit that I layer underneath according to temperature I am expecting. I have ridden in temperatures in the 80's and down to below freezing and it has worked well as long as I layer properly underneath.

If it is really warm out and virtually no chance of rain, I have an Olympia AST suit that has mesh panels.

Tip - go with merino wool base layers. keep you warm in the cold and are cooler when it is hot. Wash and dry easily and do not smell if you don't get a chance to wash them. Costco has good ones for less than half what you would pay at someplace like REI.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I can only relay to you a story that illustrates but one example of why I have gone to waterproof textile riding gear. When I went through Colorado a few years ago the temperature was in the upper 90's. It was one of those days where it was blistering hot, then it would rain hard for a few miles, then it would stop and the sun came back out and it was blistering hot again. This scenario went on for hours. Back then I had a full two-piece rain suit, rain covers for my gloves and rubber rain covers for my boots. Because we were travelling all day we could not risk getting wet as we did not know what temperatures we would encounter down the road. When the rain stopped we could not stand the heat in the rain suits as they do not breathe. Putting all of this rain gear on and taking it off on the side of the rode became real tiring after doing it about fifteen times during that day. I kept thinking about my brother-in-law who has worn Gortex lined Rukka suits for twenty years and never bothered to stop when he encountered rain- he just zipped up and kept going. I didn't learn the lesson however and kept spending money trying to buy better rain gear. This past summer I finally learned. I found myself a really good, hardly worn Rukka Gortex lined waterproof suit that I bought used. Had I done this years ago it probably would not have been any more expensive because I would not have purchased all of the other gear that this replaces between then and now. I can definitely tell you that I would have saved myself a lot of frustration dancing on one foot on the side of the road putting on/taking off rain gear. My brother-in-law is much happier now as well as he no longer has to wait on the side of the road while I do this dance- we just keep riding straight in to the rain dry and comfortable.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Waterproof is never waterproof.

I ride with Kevlar mesh, gore-tex & CE armour inserts in textile gear. I have a thermal inner layer for the cold weather (-4C this morning, and I was wearing a t-shirt under it & warm enough).

The gore-tex treated once a month with Nixwax is good enough for most rides.

For the biblical floods we get, I have an Oxford one piece rain suit in the trunk.

Bike
VStrom 650
I have for many years ridden in Textile Hein Gericke jackets and leather trousers. And yes the one legged hop on motorway hard shoulders are no fun and leather takes a looonnnggggg while to dry out. Just relented and picked up a pair of Oxford textile trousers in the sales for the grand sum of £99.00.
I just hope they fit when they drop through the letterbox. Although if they fit through the letterbox they definitely won't fit.
Upt'North.
And yes, I agree waterproof is never waterproof, if you disagree with this statement you've never ridden through an English summer :wind1:.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
And yes, I agree waterproof is never waterproof, if you disagree with this statement you've never ridden through a Welsh summer :wind1:.
Corrected that for you, my good man.

I have a 2 piece Dainese textile set, that zips together. I had to laugh at the Harley rider the other day wearing Jeans to ride through clouds.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...Prefer not to spend a fortune...
As others have already suggested, buy the best you can possibly afford - over the long term, that will be the least expensive solution.

Personally, I prefer 'waterproof' rather than a rain suit, first because I don't have to stop and suit up when rain looks likely, and second because I go on long trips (2 to 4 weeks at a time) and a rainsuit takes up precious space in the saddlebags.

Back in 2010, I bought an Aerostitch 'Transit' jacket and pants set. This is a leather product that they have since discontinued. It cost me about $1,800, but it is still in excellent condition after more than 100,000 miles and 8 years of use. My guess is that it will last another 8 years... meaning that the annual cost will be about $100 a year.

It is very waterproof - rainstorms are no problem, water doesn't get in. Once every second year I renew the waterproofing with a spray can. It didn't even leak when I was in Wales last summer... :)

Michael

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Waterproof gear negates the need for a rain suit. The money you don't spend on a rain suit you can use to buy a better grade of waterproof gear.

Investing in good gear will save you $$ in the long run.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
- Klim Latitude pants and jacket. Waterproof outer layer. Essentially a shell outfit that I layer underneath according to temperature I am expecting. I have ridden in temperatures in the 80's and down to below freezing and it has worked well as long as I layer properly underneath.
I just picked up a Latitude jacket and had to ride in a downpour this weekend.. was very happy with the results... the outer shell did a great job on it's own. It's lighter feeling than my olypmpia jacket and makes me think it will be okay in the Texas 95+ heat so might just be that elusive 4 season jacket. Time will tell. I'm still using my Olympia Ranger pants that are waterproof and at around 5 years old haven't leaked yet... of course they don't make that version anymore.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can only give an opinion... mine.
I've tried a variety of options to solve this problem a long time ago. I also like very much to stay with one "set" of gear that works for all seasons and feel that I have what works for me to do that.

I've been using TM Flex jacket and pants for the last 9 years now. These have worked really well for me for ALL seasons, from over 100F to below zeroF. Both have layers that zip in/out. One layer is a rain/wind liner. I did test that rain liner once in a really good rain on my commute. Once. It did a good job keeping the rain out. The only problem was the same as what you'll find with most rain liners, internal or external. Once the liner became very wet it stops passing air and water vapor out. So while I was not wet from rain, I was feeling very clammy from my own sweat and body moisture that couldn't escape. I decided the best route is to do what I can to keep the riding gear as dry as possible. The only way to do that is to have the rain protection on the outside. For keeping relatively cool in hot weather they strip down to pure mesh (keeping the sun off the skin is actually cooler for the body than letting full sun and wind burn the skin dry). For very cold I put in all the layers for a solid jacket and pant with insulation (the rain liner adds to that insulation along with the insulated liner in both jacket and pant). For extreme cold I do add thermal long johns and/or a fleece jacket under it all.

I tried a number of different types of rain gear and for me the best is my Frogg Toggs Road Toad gear. It doesn't take up a lot of room to carry in the saddlebag. It dries quickly, almost as fast as simply shaking it out sometimes (except around the arm and leg cuffs where the fuzzy material is thicker). And as a bonus, for me at least, I find it still allows some air flow when wet if not as much as when dry.

I found that my Alpinestars Ridge boots are just OK in hot temps. Really a little too warm but tolerable. In the last 2 weeks I just picked up a pair of Alpinestars Air Plus v2.0 Gore-Tex XCR boots that will work great in hot to cool temps (Yes, I have worn them already in temps down to 25F and they were fine with the right socks). My Ridge boots will be reserved for cold and very cold temps. Those Ridge boots stopped being waterproof after only 2 years (not Gore-Tex) and since it doesn't really "rain" in very cold temps (like near zeroF) they will work fine for that.

I haven't yet found a pair of gloves that work well in all seasons. So I do have 4 pair of them. For hot summer temps I have TM Summer Elite 3 gloves which are great in the heat down to around 60F. If warm or cool temps but raining I have a pair of TM Dri-Mesh gloves. They don't breath enough for hot temps and are warmer than the Elite 3 gloves and waterproof. If below 60F down to about 32F and especially raining at those temps my TM Polar-Tex gloves have worked really well (waterproof). Then at anything below freezing I turn up the heat with my Gerbing heated and waterproof gloves.

This is what has worked for me in all seasons and all kinds of weather. My TM pants were wearing out so recently replaced them with the TM Venture Air 2.0 pants. Not a solid shell option like the flex pant but still works down to the low teens F with the rain/wind liner and insulated liners that come with them. My jacket is also wearing out so plan to replace that with the TM Pivot Touring jacket. It has lots of large vent options and also has the 2 liners so will still work in all seasons for me. The cost of all this gear is reasonable enough that I can replace all of it more than once for the pricing on more expensive options. (can you tell I like Tourmaster stuff?)

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I'm in the textile waterproof gear camp when it comes to long distance touring. If it start raining at the most you might have to zip a couple vents closed and keep riding. It as hassle trying to find a dry place to put your rain gear one and then continue on. As others have said in the long run spending money on a good suit now will save you money. I've had good luck with Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. I bought the pants new and came across a very lightly used jacket on E-bay (came with fleece windproof liner and spine pads) for less than half the price of a new one! I've rode over 300 miles in steady rain and didn't get wet (my gloves were soaked). Gortex is the way to go if you want to stay dry.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I wear Tourmaster jacket and pants and Frogg Toggs. haven't found it that much of a hassle to stop and put on the rain gear and 99% of the time it works out alright. Ridden through 42 states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe. Yes, I have gotten wet before, but I eventually dried out. Also gotten hot and cold and blown about by the wind. Part of the experience when riding a motorcycle.

I have also stopped and poured a bottle of water all over myself when it's hot and let evap cool me off. so a little rain when it's 95-100 degrees out can feel pretty good. not so much when its 40 degrees out though.

Water is insidious and will get in everywhere with little provocation. Thru the vents in your helmet, through the face shield if it's even cracked open a little. Down your exposed neck. I have not found a way to keep it out if it's raining hard enough and long enough.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm in the 'rainsuit' camp because it gives me another layer of protection if the temps drop, they are inexpensive, and are rainproof (assuming they work as they should). My standard is mesh jacket with zip out liner, heated jacket, rainsuit. Between those various combinations, I'm good for all temps and conditions pretty much all year. Very happy with my Frogg Toggs especially after I found the bib rain pants that they offer. I've been on long trips where you can run from 36F to 120F in a few hours. :biggrin:

Bike
2005 ST
I bought a Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suit off of ACL a few years ago and to be honest , as goofy looking as it is , it's the best piece of bike clothing I've ever owned . It's like the swiss army knife of bike clothes . I've never liked having to stop every time it looked like a dark cloud was blowing in to put on rain gear , only to find out that the cloud passed and now the sun is roasting me in my rubber suit forcing me to stop and strip it off again . Not having to carry separate rain gear just means less crap to pack and in my world , that's always a good thing .

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Back in 2015 I bought a TourMaster Rainsuit to take with me to Oregon when picking up my 2012 ST1300.

I found the rainsuit was a real bugger to get on, although it did keep me dry for the 250 miles I rode through the rain.

Since then, I have found that just putting on good quality rain pants and use one of my Cortech GT Air rain liners for my upper body, under my riding gear is much easier and keeps me just as dry.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I've been using Olympia gear for years now. There are some things that I really like about the design that isn't in all gear. The venting goes all the way through the jacket to your body. Other gear manufacturers vent into the inner liner, so it isn't actually going all the way through. That makes a difference to your ability to make this a 4-season choice.

The Olympia pants do something I wasn't sure I thought was a good idea when I bought the pants...but I've come to appreciate how smart it is. The Olympia pants have zip out panels over the thighs. The panels unzip and tuck into the shin area. So you get some cooling from that, much like you would with a pair of mesh pants. The rain/wind liner is separate, not built in. That's smart. In the past, my TM pants would leak in the crotch. The reason was the inner waterproof liner would catch on the boot soles and eventually pull the seams apart enough to leak. With a separate liner, you aren't using it during the dry warmer rides. And it has enough freedom of movement that it doesn't catch on the boot soles. And if it ever does start to leak, or is lost, you can go to the nearest sporting goods store and buy some waterproof pants like you'd buy for golfing or hiking.

I've been fortunate to pick up all my Olympia gear on closeouts. What you'll find is the new products really aren't much different than the old out-of-date product. So you can save a lot of money that way.

Chris

Top Bottom