Towing a 6 ft trailer

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Made my own tow hitch and modified the "Venter" 6 ft trailer.

Perfect!

See my album and get an Idea of the maddness...

Was easy!

Did over 1,000miles and not a hickup.

Attachments

• 6ft Vener tr.JPG
    6ft Vener tr.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 6ft me.JPG
    6ft me.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 311
  • 6ft Loadeed.JPG
    6ft Loadeed.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 348
About 5 kg at the hitching point is all she should weigh.

The total weight must have been quite high, as I had my TV, HI-Fi, Microwave oven, Guitar (4 months cloths and pots etc.) in it, but I never felt a thing once she started rolling...

Nice work Da Ace! She's a beauty. Show us a piccy of your hitch.

Any wobbles? Vibrations? Movement around when at speed? Turning troubles?

Regards, Dave

-

Nice work Da Ace! She's a beauty. Show us a piccy of your hitch.

Any wobbles? Vibrations? Movement around when at speed? Turning troubles?

Regards, Dave

-

Hi Schmoop.
to answer your questions>>....no..no...no but over 100mph a very slight drift/movement (but who wants to go that speed with the rig attached?).... and again no....
So it was/is a breeze. Easy peasy!:doh1:

Looks great. Next year I'm going to buy a Trailer, Can you take a picture of your hitch and how it is connected to the ST?

Your last photo looks like you are taking my wife on a road trip :smile:

Nice rig there, Your going to eat tires,
Pulling a trailer with the sport tires the ST runs goes through trires fast..
The best and longest lasting tire I have found Is the 50 psi tire ME 880
Mike

I didn't think about it, but you're absolutely correct...the rear tire works much harder when pulling a rig also....:chat1:

Herewith are some more pics of the tow hitch...

Attachments

• SDC12745.JPG
    SDC12745.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 89
  • SDC12746.JPG
    SDC12746.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 85
  • SDC12743.JPG
    SDC12743.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 67
  • SDC12741.JPG
    SDC12741.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 67
  • SDC12739.JPG
    SDC12739.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 82
Just modding a trailer I have recently purchased ACE and you have answered some questions for me thank you. Great rig set up buddy. Hope it lasts you many happy miles.

Probably dragsa bit when you get her up in the air during those wheelies . . .
P.s. How often you rebuilding the forks hammering them like that ? ? ?

Probably dragsa bit when you get her up in the air during those wheelies . . .
P.s. How often you rebuilding the forks hammering them like that ? ? ?

On my 2nd ST now, 1st did over 110,00kms and 2nd on over 80,000 and never had any leaks on either as landing is important.
You cannot just shut off the throttle once you've got the front wheel up...
PS you cant wheelie and tow...;)

Last edited:
Hi All,
I was asked the questions below:

I was just looking at your hitch and I was hoping you might have time for a few questions?
Is it tubing / pipe or round solid stock? Thickness or Size?
Do you have any other pictures of the top of the rear verticals?
Do you know the approximate weight of the trailer empty / loaded?
Tongue weight?
Thank You very much!

Answered as follows:

The piping is aluminum tubing. Unfortunately I'm far from the bike right now so i cannot measure the O/D.
The top sides are lugs welded to the tops of the pipes that have holes through them. I have used threaded bar that goes through the plastic which is bolted (with double nuts each side) and is bent to go around the frame and has a plate that is
threaded through the threaded bar, goes under the frame and threaded again onto the threaded bar and locked int place with double nuts... Sounds confusing but isn't to difficult once you see. I will post pics etc when I get a chance. Unfortunately i had a very bad accident with the bike, so please be patient.
The weight of the trailer is also written on it so when I get back I will let you know...
The most important is the packed weight and the balance thereof!!!
The front hitch (on a bathroom scale) should weight about 5kgs only.
Balance is everything and also you cannot go crazy and speed with a load like this. Gotta get used to it!!!
I dont advocate towing unless you're an experienced rider! And then still be careful.

My last 2 lines was the reason I wanted to post this....
Thanks

Hi All,

Balance is everything and also you cannot go crazy and speed with a load like this. Gotta get used to it!!!
I dont advocate towing unless you're an experienced rider! And then still be careful.

Thanks

+1 here especially with the last line-'experienced rider! And then still be careful'. Look ahead and be prepared!!!! While I have towed trailers, being they cargo or camping, in excess of 20k miles, I STILL ride with the upmost caution-ess!!! Never push yourself into a situation that you can't get out of. It will bite you in the end-pun intended!!! I have even installed a Prodigy brake controller on my ST1100 for pulling my Aspen Sentry, w/electric brakes, and I STILL ride with caution. If you decide to pull, practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more. You won't be sorry. Go to an empty school parking lot to do it. Especially practice a panic stop a few times.

Hi All,
I was asked the questions below:

I was just looking at your hitch and I was hoping you might have time for a few questions?
Is it tubing / pipe or round solid stock? Thickness or Size?
Do you have any other pictures of the top of the rear verticals?
Do you know the approximate weight of the trailer empty / loaded?
Tongue weight?
Thank You very much!
Tinner aka Bob
Answered as follows:

The piping is aluminum tubing. Unfortunately I'm far from the bike right now so i cannot measure the O/D.
The top sides are lugs welded to the tops of the pipes that have holes through them. I have used threaded bar that goes through the plastic which is bolted (with double nuts each side) and is bent to go around the frame and has a plate that is
threaded through the threaded bar, goes under the frame and threaded again onto the threaded bar and locked int place with double nuts... Sounds confusing but isn't to difficult once you see. I will post pics etc when I get a chance. Unfortunately i had a very bad accident with the bike, so please be patient.
The weight of the trailer is also written on it so when I get back I will let you know...
The most important is the packed weight and the balance thereof!!!
The front hitch (on a bathroom scale) should weight about 5kgs only.

Thanks

I failed to mention that I have a 2000 Bunkhouse and two cargo trailers that I have been pulling for years. I have yet to add a hitch to the ST1300 but have been looking at every setup that I can find.

Thanks again for all the info.

Tinner aka Bob

: )

Back
Top Bottom