TPMS for Xmas

Bike
BMW K1600GT
My wife purchased a Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System for me (Xmas present). I have never heard of this product before (TireGard) from www.bigbikeparts.com A friend said it used to be called tyredog. It appears to be easily installed (less than 3 mins), runs totally by batteries. I was going to the the TPMS by Kissan Technologies. Does anyone out there have experience with aftermarket TPMS ? This system (tiregard) has 1 keychain remote and two screw on sensors that replace your valve caps. I want to have reliability even though I always check my tires. I had my rear one go flat while riding and didn't know it until I stopped as a gas station. Any comments would be welcome.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
No experience with it.
If I had cash to burn I like the kissan valve stem replacement style so the valve core can still do it's job.
But that looks like a hundered beans more $.
Looks easy enough to try out. Both of these look less cumbersome than the band clamp style.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Personally, I'm of the opinion that anything that screws onto a valve stem other than the cap is a recipe for failure at an inopportune time.

But that's just me. :rolleyes:

--Mark

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Would be interested in how well they work. Please keep us up to date. I think these would be ok but I would like further inspection. Looks nice.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
Mellow,
I've looked at the Doran and Kissan systems in the past and looks good, however my wife jumped the gun by buying the TireGard (free to me so nobrainer). She bought it from a local cycle shop so if there is a problem I take it back to them. It runs on batteries so no drain on the system. I can move it easily to another bike. The display is small but shows both front and rear pressures at the same time. I use velcro to hold the display in place. I'll report more as I learn more about the system. I hope to use this system in conjunction with ride on for miles of trouble free riding. What are of Texas are you from? My wife's family is from Lubbock (Red Raiders)

Byron

STOC #
If I was to use one of the tire pressure monitoring systems that attached to the valve stem I would not do it with regular rubber stems. Adding weight to a rubber stem is an invitation for disaster.

I have SmarTire installed on my bike. It does require removal of the tire to install but can be done during a normal tire change.

I too received the same TPMS for Xmas. I installed the valve stem caps just over a week ago, and so far they have not leaked, although I do feel that this may be a weak link in the system. They do come with a "theft prevention" device that would keep the sending unit from turning without using a hex wrench to loosen a set screw. I removed the key chain from the receiving unit, and using high strength velcro attached it to the face of the tach. Unit is now easily visable at all times, and does not interfere with seeing the tach reading.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
Everyone seems to be concerned about the weight of the sensors. Even with the battery installed the additional weight (next to nothing) does not seem to be issue. Likewise, leaks don't seem to be an issue at this point, but then again I haven't done any "real riding". Planning to go on 3000 mile trip this Spring, we'll see then. Also there is no requirement to balance tires.

Top Bottom