Tube tire help wanted

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Except for thousands of tubes installed on bicycles, I haven’t installed a tube type tire.
I am installing a 140/80-15 tire.
The bead does not sit evenly on the rim. If this was a bicycle tire that sits tight on the rim but not fully even, I over inflate it, or use tire seating pliers. No pliers this big.
over inflate?
Any techniques?

The line that should be even around the rim sits about an 1/8th inch out 3/4 the way around the rim and 1/4 the way sunk down

I've always seen tire mounting guys lube the rim first, mount one bead of the tire, insert the tube, mount the second bead and then, as you said, over inflate the tire (tube) to seat the bead. Lubing the bead and wheel is mandatory. After doing all this, repeat the process because you pinched the tube and it popped.... :rofl1:

After doing all this, repeat the process because you pinched the tube and it popped.... :rofl1:
This is my experience, exactly.
After years of dualsport riding and changing my own tires, I finally became "proficient" enough to only wreck one out of every 3 tubes.
I never bought "just one" inner tube.

If you use some soapy water or lube of your choice on the tire bead, the bead should pop on without much air pressure. You should break the bead again and try that.
The key to not pinching the tube is to put a little bit of air in it before you insert it inside the tire. Good luck.....

I wouldn't suggest using soap or dish washing liquid, as it will damage the aluminum rim over time, but rather use some tire paste (Hunters Tire paste) etc.
Break the bead all the way around the rim again, and clean the surface with a soft brass brush, or scotchbrite pad, then wipe down both the inner bead, outer bead, and the rim with your tire paste.
Don't use more than 50 PSI to seat the bead etc. When its properly lubricated, it will pop into place at about 30 PSI.
Lube is your friend.
:WCP1:

Back
Top Bottom